Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,352 times

Advertisements

If it's warmer than you expect, you can always take clothes off.

If it's colder than you expect, you can't summon more clothes out of thin air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:17 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
To me cold is more uncomfortable then hot I will take hot over cold any day.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:19 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,490 times
Stuff that's perfect for warm weather: hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, swimming, snorkeling, hitchhiking, running, walking the dog, taking the kids to the park, putting the top down on the convertible and taking it for a spin, partying on the lake, going to music/cultural festivals, etc, etc...

Stuff that's perfect for cold weather: snowball fights, building snowmen, building anatomically correct snowmen/women, doing something inside ...

Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
Stuff that's perfect for cold weather: snowball fights, building snowmen, building anatomically correct snowmen/women, doing something inside ...
.... anatomically correct snowman/woman in the act ....

Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
I hate cold weather because even when I was real young, it made my bones HURT! Now that I am older and moved to a warmer climate, they still hurt when the weather gets cold. People just don't understand the pain it causes some of us and they like to cut the heat back, leave doors open, ect. Cold has always caused me pain.... even the A/C in a car blowing on my knees make them hurt!

I also hate all the clothes cold weather require. My job requires traveling and my luggage is always stuffed full in the cold months. I hate having to wear sweaters or jackets when I am working as they get in the way also.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:32 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?
I like being outside. I am OK until it drops below 55° during the day. I like being able to be outside without having to wear a jacket.

Thankfully here in Tennessee it does not get as cold (nor as long) as it does to our neighbors in the north.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I have no idea why people despise cold weather. If the temperature is above 20F it is "mild enough" in my book.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have no idea why people despise cold weather. If the temperature is above 20F it is "mild enough" in my book.
My guess is that many people love to be outside without a jacket, or even sleeves.
I know that many people (including myself) can handle (survive) that for a few minutes at 21 F,
but what I'm talking about is spending all day outside,
while still only wearing a "comfortable," minimum amount of clothing.

Can you still do that?
Or do you like wearing long sleeves and layers?
(I hear some people actually enjoy wearing lots of clothes; to each his/her own)
Me, I get squirrely if my forearms are covered for long periods of time (hours, days).

If you find 21 F mild, you are one of the lucky few who get to live in a climate you are well adapted too.
(I'm envious of you, but not NH's climate, lol)

Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
we come into the world cold, wet, and hungry...we hope to get away from all three of those negative stimuli.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 AM

20 posts, read 69,827 times
I have lived in Alabama for most of my life, so the one time we really got snow was the blizzard of '93, and it was maybe 6" to a foot, if that. I thought I liked the cold better because "you can always add more layers, but there's only so many you can take off." Then I moved to St. Louis. The winter there was freezing! More snow than our "blizzard" every winter. I had a huge poofy coat, and layers underneath, and still I froze every time I walked to class. Breathing was the worst part. It was so dry and cold that it actually hurt even deep down in my lungs to take a breath. I hated that. Since then I've moved back to Alabama. Give me my 100+ degrees summer any time, I can handle it. Just as long as it stays above, say 20 degrees in the winter (including wind chill). I like not having to wear anything heavier than a lined sweatshirt all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather