Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 01:54 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
** ILNC, I think you would love it;
living in a climate where you can have several months below 40 F,
because what typically accompanies this kind of climate is:
ZERO days above 60 for 5-6 months straight,
ZERO days above 70 F for 6-7 months straight and
ZERO days above 75 F for 6.5-8 months straight.
Yep, sounds good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yep, sounds good
It's easy for me to remember those numbers,
as they are precicely the reason why I've never liked being here
from late September through early April. (7 months a year, roughly)

Not only that, but when the temps are not warm, sunshine is uncommon or scarce,
so you have little to no sun heat on the roads, cars or other objects...
(making the duration of our cold and cool extra miserable and annoying for folks like me)

So what makes you uninterested about living in the north?
(NC is definitely not "north"; middle latitudes... perhaps)

Is it the scarceness of the sun when it's not summer??? (a lot of people here hate that)
Is it not being able to wash your car for weeks or months at a time??? (that one really annoys me)

Is it that you like chill, but would still rather it go above freezing most afternoons,
simply because being below freezing all day long makes a lot of tasks more difficult?
(ie. if you leave something in your car for over 1 hour and it could freeze)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-16-2009 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
It's easy for me to remember those numbers,
as they are precicely the reason why I've never liked being here
from late September through early April. (7 months a year, roughly)

Not only that, but when the temps are not warm, sunshine is uncommon or scarce,
so you have little to no sun heat on the roads, cars or other objects...
(making the duration of our cold and cool extra miserable and annoying for folks like me)

So what makes you uninterested about living in the north?
(NC is definitely not "north"; middle latitudes... perhaps)

Is it the scarceness of the sun when it's not summer??? (a lot of people here hate that)
Is it not being able to wash your car for weeks or months at a time??? (that one really annoys me)

Is it that you like chill, but would still rather it go above freezing most afternoons,
simply because being below freezing all day long makes a lot of tasks more difficult?
(ie. if you leave something in your car for over 1 hour and it could freeze)
What interest me in living in the NC area is having four seasons and not having a summer that seems to never end. Also the scenery, I love the mountains and waterfalls in that area, it is just too beautiful for words and nothing compares to the Carolina blue sky. I could care less about not washing my car for months, I already do that

Old 01-16-2009, 07:28 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
What interest me in living in the NC area is having four seasons and not having a summer that seems to never end. Also the scenery, I love the mountains and waterfalls in that area, it is just too beautiful for words and nothing compares to the Carolina blue sky. I could care less about not washing my car for months, I already do that
So you do prefer sunshine, unlike dxiweodwo?
Isn't the sky ever blue in Houston TX?
Or is it always milkier than western NC because of the Gulf humidity?

Our sun is beautiful too (when it comes out ) as well as a little gentler on the skin;
better if you want to be in the sun all day.

So if NC becomes too expensive would you want to live further north?

I like NC better too because even though it has four seasons,
most or all of them are gentler and (compared to here) sunny seasons.
I also like how winter is never the longest season of the year.
Here it's usually winter by late November and still winter in late March; sometimes it's early November and mid-April.

I also would prefer to be in the NC mountains too,
because they still get more days above 60 F, 65 F and probably 70 F than Toronto does.
They might not get as hot & humid in summer compared to Toronto, but they also don't get as cool in summer either. (freak summer cool spells)

Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
So you do prefer sunshine, unlike dxiweodwo?
Isn't the sky ever blue in Houston TX?
Or is it always milkier than western NC because of the Gulf humidity?

Our sun is beautiful too (when it comes out ) as well as a little gentler on the skin;
better if you want to be in the sun all day.

So if NC becomes too expensive would you want to live further north?

I like NC better too because even though it has four seasons,
most or all of them are gentler and (compared to here) sunny seasons.
I also like how winter is never the longest season of the year.
Here it's usually winter by late November and still winter in late March; sometimes it's early November and mid-April.

I also would prefer to be in the NC mountains too,
because they still get more days above 60 F, 65 F and probably 70 F than Toronto does.
They might not get as hot & humid in summer compared to Toronto, but they also don't get as cool in summer either. (freak summer cool spells)
Like dxi,what I prefer is cold weather and if that means gray cloudy days, bring it on I just meant North Carolina has a much bluer sky than Texas and yes it's because of the lower humidity. Today the sky was pretty blue here because the dew point and humidity were low, but that's rare. So what I prefer is cold, doesn't matter if it's sunny or cloudy.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I'm glad I'm in Wisconsin, because our Dec.-Mar. winter (4 months) has lots of sunny days! I don't look at March as being that terrible, although dreary damp days get on my nerves sometimes.

This week of brutal temps, I've had my inside front door open to let the sunshine in. For lunch I picnic on my stairs to the upstairs (not my outside steps) , my mailman always laughs and says picnicing again? I was indoors alot this week (also due to my garage door being busted), but I had all my blinds open or up, I let that sunshine in. I know its not warm sunshine but it makes me happy!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Like dxi,what I prefer is cold weather and if that means gray cloudy days, bring it on I just meant North Carolina has a much bluer sky than Texas and yes it's because of the lower humidity. Today the sky was pretty blue here because the dew point and humidity were low, but that's rare. So what I prefer is cold, doesn't matter if it's sunny or cloudy.
Are you sure about that? Because the skies have been pretty gray and dreary here in NC for this week, except for today. Thats not true for the WHOLE state of texas. You live in Houston so that might be so, but in Austin the skies are just as blue if not bluer lol than NC.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
This looks like a thread I would have responded to before, but there are so many pages that I think I'll go ahead.

I've always hated cold and I think I was born that way. When I was an infant an observant babysitter told my mother "This baby really likes warmth." I was raised in 100+ summer heat and it didn't bother me in the least to play outside in it.

Well, things have changed some since I developed cardiac issues. Here in the northwest I'm still a lot hardier in heat than most Oregonians but I don't handle the triple-digits so well anymore (even though I don't want AC until it hits about 98). But hating "cold" has only gotten worse. I often wear 5 layers of clothes to work during the winter because the office is too chilly. Breathing cold hair is where I have problems, though. It is a medical issue. I avoid going out as much as I can when it goes below 40 degrees.

Yes, yes, I know, I'm a wimp. But I prefer my bike rides in 85 degrees without any wind. How about you?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
This looks like a thread I would have responded to before, but there are so many pages that I think I'll go ahead.

I've always hated cold and I think I was born that way. When I was an infant an observant babysitter told my mother "This baby really likes warmth." I was raised in 100+ summer heat and it didn't bother me in the least to play outside in it.

Well, things have changed some since I developed cardiac issues. Here in the northwest I'm still a lot hardier in heat than most Oregonians but I don't handle the triple-digits so well anymore (even though I don't want AC until it hits about 98). But hating "cold" has only gotten worse. I often wear 5 layers of clothes to work during the winter because the office is too chilly. Breathing cold hair is where I have problems, though. It is a medical issue. I avoid going out as much as I can when it goes below 40 degrees.

Yes, yes, I know, I'm a wimp. But I prefer my bike rides in 85 degrees without any wind. How about you?
Im also a HATER of cold weather. And you're not a wimp for not liking cold wether, lol if thats the case then why cant people who dont like hot weather be wimps to? Why are people seen as weak if they cant handle cold wether but not vice versa lol.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Im also a HATER of cold weather. And you're not a wimp for not liking cold wether, lol if thats the case then why cant people who dont like hot weather be wimps to? Why are people seen as weak if they cant handle cold wether but not vice versa lol.
I've always wondered the same thing. I hate the cold and I hear a lot of people make comments like you have to toughen up. But when people complain about heat, no one ever calls them wimps (though I think it, I just haven't said it...yet)

Here's a prime example: My cross country/track coach likes the cold and hates the heat. He has us practice outside when it's in the 40s (and this is just during the spring and fall. I never ran track in the winter but i hear he even makes them run outside then). But he canceled practice one day in September because it was 87. I would much rather run in 87 degree weather than 40 degrees. Not only does the coach like the cold, but he expects everyone to and has no sympathy for people that don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather