Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 04:57 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
I know in Alaska (where I lived previously) we all loved the snow and really asked for it simply for a more common sense reason. Once we got a good snow on the ground the roads would freeze and the snow would have the extra added benefit of reflecting the street lights which would brighten things a bit once we had really lost a lot of our sunlight. Of course those with a snow go loved it too simply because now they could use their fav toy again!
Still though, I knew people in Alaska that HANDS DOWN hated winter and cold and everything to do with it.
I've lived in Tennessee and have known people who loved winter and cold.
I've lived in Kansas where people were mixed. I have noticed however that in the southern climes the percentage of heat lovers is higher while in the northern areas the percentage is higher of cool weather lovers.
Is this just because these people have acclimated? Or is it people tend to gravitate to the areas with temps that are agreeable to them?

Something to chew on.
I find people from Northern areas I find hate winter season, while people from Southern areas hate the summer season. For example a friend of mine who lived in Phoenix hated the climate there but loves the climate in New Jersey and loves the snow, whereas people from New England/the North East may enjoy Arizona's climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Well, for some reason, I get more types of discomforts with cold than heat (at least in the climate I live in).

Cold temperatures often give me headaches, especially if I don't wear a hat and if it's windy. I can also get headaches if it's too hot, but ones due to it being too cold seem to happen more for me.

Also, I dislike the fact that when I run or do strenous activity, and then take deep breaths rapidly, the cold air really stings my lungs when I breath without giving the air time to warm up, especially badly when it's at or below freezing. It's such a raw, sore feeling. I don't know if I'm the only one who finds this annoying but the discomfort of being out of breath in the cold, chilly air if I have to run can be quite off-putting.

The stiffness and biting feeling of cold and especially cold wind on say my fingers, if I'm not wearing gloves or exposed skin on arms, the neck and sometimes the face etc. also feels pretty discomfortable to me but I usually dress well, so that's less of an issue.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
There's a quote from somewhere (someone on netweather.tv uses it) that goes: "21°C is the average melting point of a Scotsman". And a Buxtoner.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,398 times
Default Place of birth

I think it has to do with where you were born and raised. I was born and raised in Southern California and I hate being cold. I know some people have a theory that it is genetic. I am first generation Californian yet genes don't play into it for me. All my family background is northern or New England-y, and originally Scotland. But when I'm in these various locations I do not get the thrill and happiness of brisk air.

My mother, on the other hand, was born up in Canada, and was raised in different parts of Canada and England. She loves it when it's cold. Grey skies do not depress her. She gets uplifted when it rains. If I go a few days without sunshine I start to get a bit crabby.

Then again, metabolism might be a factor. I'm always cold. My extremities (fingers and toes) always start to go long before anyone else's. My husband, however, has a metabolism that runs hot and therefore always wants to open the window at night. He is also a native Angeleno but likes cold a bit more than I do.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
I like cold weather because things are generally more quiet when it's cold. There's not as many people out. Traffic is somewhat lighter. There is a freshness in the air, as opposed to stuffiness.
What I don't like is the snow because some people drive like clowns in it. Gotta watch out for them and myself. That's tiring, but necessary.
However, snow itself is pretty. I love seeing snowy parks, tree branches lined in snow, snow on rooftops, etc.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:11 PM

175 posts, read 324,046 times
Snow is beautiful... on a postcard.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
Snow is beautiful... on a postcard.
Yeah, you don't have to shovel it on a postcard.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 PM

175 posts, read 324,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Yeah, you don't have to shovel it on a postcard.
Yeah, and for driving too obviously. I've known people who got into life-threatening accidents even though they committed no mistakes (the other party was at fault).

And doing physical activities is no fun at extreme cold either (though the same can be said for extreme heat as well). And before anybody goes on to calling me pansy, yes I have run 5+ miles at below zero temperature (and at 100 as well), several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I find people from Northern areas I find hate winter season, while people from Southern areas hate the summer season. For example a friend of mine who lived in Phoenix hated the climate there but loves the climate in New Jersey and loves the snow, whereas people from New England/the North East may enjoy Arizona's climate
I think it's probably one those 'their grass is greener than ours' cases.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Having just been out in the freezing cold and snow showers, I hate the way the cold stings my face hands and feet, the way the wind feels like an ice-pick in my skull (despite cold weather protection), the slipperiness of the ground, how stiff and numb my hands are, and the perpetual running of my nose. Don't get get any of this crap with nice warm 75-85 degrees weather.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 AM

584 posts, read 1,688,363 times
For those who never experienced the "cold weather" and dreamed about it, take a look at the list below to see if you could survive or not:

(1) Heating bill goes to the roof
(2) Cost of building a house is higher because of the insulation
(3) Property taxes are higher because of snow removal
(4) Cost to maintain the property: Winterize it
(5) Cost to maintain the car
(6) Snow storms
(7) Black out
(8) Freeze your butts for 10-20 minutes
(9) Shovel the snow, lots of work
(10) Scrape the snow off your car
(11) Cold weather causes more damage to your car (salt on road)
(12) Cold weather causes more damage to your house
(13) Cold weather causes more damage to infrastructure, hence increase of property tax
(14) If you had a cottage, you winterize it, then de winterize it year after year, same with boats
(15) You pay the full cost of a cottage but get to use it for just 5 months
(16) Streetscape looks ugly, grey sky, black and white snow, roads look ugly & dirty
(17) More accidents, black ice
(18) Extreme cold in the mid West or central/northern Canada: You will have to plug in your block heater in your car or you won't be able to start your car the next day
(19) Cost of winter clothing
(20) If you had a dog, good luck !
(21) Winter driving: You need to be a good winter driver to avoid accidents
(22) Cold weather causes all kinds of damages to your properties, cars, cottages, boats ...
(23) Vegetable is more expensive
(24) Everything is more expensive because it costs more to maintain the operation (heating bill, hire company to shovel snow in parking lots of malls, government buildings, roads... after midnight): You or your tax dollars pay the workers premium rate for them to shovel the snow at 2 am so that you can park your car at 9am.
(25) You can't fix or maintain your car in the winter if you don't have a garage or underground parking
(26) Windchill factor: -20C, -30C, -40C, -50C for 3, 4 or 5 months
(27) The list goes on & on ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather