Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I even hate wearing long sleeves cause every time you wash your hands - which I do all the time! - you either roll them up & they fall down anyway, or they just somehow get wet!!! And that makes you colder!!!
URGH!!!!!!!!! DRATTED COLD!!!!!!!!!!

Jim - welcome to FL cousin!!!
I am another big fan of short sleeve shirts. (and minimum 65 F+ air temps neccessary to wear them in comfort)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 06:43 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
I dislike cold weather because it's cold.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I don't care if it's cold or hot, as long as it's SUNNY. And low humidity.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:39 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!

I totally agree with you Hoosier. My daughter and I were talking about this subject the other night. It is easier to put clothes on and get warm then it is to cool off. We live in So Calif, and I HATE the heat. I go into hybernation mode during the summer. In Oct my family and I are going to Vermont to look for homes. We are going to take the plunge and become New Englanders. I cant wait for my kids to actually see snow. I used to live in Iceland, and just loved it!! Give me cold, clouds, rain, snow, anytime

Old 07-22-2007, 06:00 AM

264 posts, read 1,093,625 times
Leaving Texas for Wyoming in 2 months and CAN'T FREAKING WAIT. Screw all this heat and humidity. Any time I exercise outside, heck anytime I do ANYTHING outside, it takes me another 15 minutes after I get inside to STOP sweating, and even then all my clothes are soaked in sweat. Nothing's better than working all day long with a nice, sweaty pair of underwear right???

Old 07-22-2007, 03:50 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
ha ha, are you coming from San Antonio by any chance? although Corpus would probably be a better bet. I have fond (NOT) memories of doing morning PT in the summer, taking a shower in the gym and being soaked from sweat by the time I made it to work. It was like the shower was barely even worth it. Basically more for show than anything else..

BTW, anybody from Ann Arbor that hates the cold can feel free to PM me and we'll switch houses..

Old 07-22-2007, 04:13 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
I'm not a cold weather person. Nor am I a hot weather person. Nor am I a humid weather person. I like weather that you don't have to think or worry about.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:43 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
you belong on a submarine then... 68F and 60% humidity 24/7 365..

it just really sucks when you get off one in the Panama Canal after being out for 31 days straight.. only place I've ever watched someone get sunburned instantly. This also happened to me at Point Loma (San Diego) after 41 days out. instant and painful sunburn

Old 07-22-2007, 05:58 PM

62 posts, read 253,933 times
Quote:

I mainly just hate the dreary deadness that often goes hand in hand with cold climates. I can stand cold itself, even down to the teens, as long as it doesn't last all winter, affect spring, and doesn't have that wind-blown, vicious wind chill quality. I guess I can take about one month of cold with a moderate amount of snow thrown in.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:35 PM

86 posts, read 367,158 times
New Hampshire winters often go two weeks straight at -20 degrees (actual temperature not windchill), with low humidity and often zero wind. It's great, you don't feel the cold, just inhale the cold, dry air - your lungs dance with glee! Your breath freezes instantly so you need to cover your nose to avoid icicles.

And, outdoor clothing stores like L L Bean will layer you appropriately.

New Hampshire roads are kept free of snow - citizens demand it. It's not unusual to see snow piled higher than the lamposts and the road looking like it simply rained.

A few years ago the state road crew decided that they weren't going to work nights, and rather than have a strike, the government was going to go along with it, but citizens virtually rose up and told their elected officials to hire an entire new workforce if needed, but roads get cleared 24/7 - every hour on main roads and every one-and-one-half hours on side roads, and to post a public schedule.

When I visit DC, even though the weather is very much warmer in the winter, I am miserably cold - the humidity makes the difference (as does wind).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather