Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 09:00 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,902,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
No, getting the worse of it is actually working outside, dealing with the extremes of both winter and summer.

People live in the desert with the A/C blasting half the year (or swamp coolers, but I'm not sure how well they work). What's the difference between the dryness of a desert and a cold winter day? People deal with dry skin and chapped lips in deserts too.
Well you can work outside in the heat, I as long as you drink plenty of water. Trying working in the cold and get frostbite.

Desert dry heat can make your skin dry, but not like the cold. Warm weather is not for everyone and vice versa with the cold.

I prefer warm weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,299 times
It's usually overweight and obese people who prefer the cold weather, because their excess body mass retains a lot of heat. For a fat person in the summer, it's as if they are wearing an extra sweater or two, but the heat is bearable for most thin people.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Well you can work outside in the heat, I as long as you drink plenty of water. Trying working in the cold and get frostbite.
That water won't do you any good if the heat is enough to give you heat stroke, or the lovely symptoms of heat exhaustion, or even having one's brain feel like it's cooked because one is overheated. If you think frostbite is bad, there have been some horror stories out of Yuma, Arizona where skin of corpses were burned to a crisp - of course this is rather rare but it demonstrates that heat can be just as bad as frostbite, if not worse. All of the conditions I mentioned preclude working in heat. All of that water is useless to me - it keeps me hydrated and alive, sure, but that's far from the only concern. If you can take it, that's great, but merely be aware that when one gets too hot, wherever that threshold is, there is no practical remedy. When one gets too cold all one has to do is put on a coat or other suitable clothing.

Of course if you like the heat, don't get way too hot in desert heat, and water is sufficient for you to thrive, that's great and I won't disrespect your weather preferences, but not everyone is like you and do not assume so.

Quote:
Desert dry heat can make your skin dry, but not like the cold.
That may be true, but I've encountered some people who had rather bad reactions to dry conditions at mild to hot temperatures that were at least as bad as cold, dry weather. I myself like low humidity (25% or so) and am unaffected by dryer conditions that afflict many others.

Quote:
Warm weather is not for everyone and vice versa with the cold.

I prefer warm weather.
Exactly . I prefer cold weather myself, some would say extreme cold, but I know and respect that others hate it or prefer other types of weather. They're simply built differently than I am.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
Cold weather is doable for me up until the winds kick up and toy with my immune system even more.
I try to drive a car to work as little as possible and attempt to ride my bicycle everywhere.
During temps of 80-120 degrees, I thrive since all I have to do is throw on jeans/shorts and t-shirt, and pedal out the back gate.
In temperatures below 40 degrees, I feel like I'm suiting up for a spacewalk just to go for a bike ride.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That water won't do you any good if the heat is enough to give you heat stroke...When one gets too cold all one has to do is put on a coat or other suitable clothing.
I'm really wondering how much time you've spent outdoors in a wide range of temperatures (and I don't mean walking down the sidewalk). Dehydration is a major risk factor for both heat and cold-related injuries, for one thing. For another, extremely experienced mountaineers have sustained serious frostbite injuries from accidents as simple as dropping a glove in the snow and losing it. Around here, you can become hypothermic very quickly from slipping on a boat deck in the middle of summer and falling in the water. Thermal shock is a major cause of drowning, by the way, because cold water induces an involuntary gasping reflex. It's all well and good to have temperature preferences, but if you don't respect the weather it will smack you down.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Considering that I was born and raised and still live in NE Ohio, the older I get, the more I hate the cold. I like it in the 80s or 90s, and being able to walk outside at night in the middle of the summer without a shirt on. I like shorts, and flip flops. For me it's always been easier for me to cool off than to warm up. Not to mention that I can't stand the dull gray days that is so common here from October through early Spring. I also hate the shorter days, and get bummed out from them (hooray for Daylight Savings). Thankfully though, we were blessed with a mild winter, and this past week has been outstanding. Today feels like late May, and I wouldn't be suprised if it hits 80 as it is wall to wall sunshine. Unfortunately by the weekend we'll be back in the 50s, and more seasonable temperatures for this region during this time of year.

With the exception of football, I prefer summer activities such as, swimming, and camping. The less clothing the better too.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:38 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Considering that I was born and raised and still live in NE Ohio, the older I get, the more I hate the cold. I like it in the 80s or 90s, and being able to walk outside at night in the middle of the summer without a shirt on. I like shorts, and flip flops. For me it's always been easier for me to cool off than to warm up. [...]
With the exception of football, I prefer summer activities such as, swimming, and camping. The less clothing the better too.
I'm the exact opposite myself; those are the very things I dislike and it's much easier for me to warm up than to cool down. You're simply built differently and like different things from me or my wintry brethren. I apply "different strokes for different folks" - the only problem I have with anyone who hates cold is whining and acting like their preferences constitute objective truth for the entirety of humanity (behavior you don't exude).

Many people in your situation, who already like warmth but grow less tolerant of cold as they get older, make the mistake of moving to a too-hot-for-them Deep Southern climate like Florida where they will have to run the air conditioning for half the year, be trapped inside, and otherwise have the very same lifestyle problems as the Northern winters they were trying to escape from, only without the opportunity to be comfortable with proper clothing. These people falsely overrate southern climates because they think air conditioning is a cure-all from heat (it is not any more than heating is a cure-all for cold but they don't apply the same logic to cold), and get into a place that's too hot for them, when they'd be better off in a more moderate but still warm climate like L.A. You seem to genuinely like 80's and 90's along with summertime mugginess, so I think you'd be a suitable candidate to move to Florida, for instance. I'm not assuming you'll retire soon or that you don't have other things keeping you where you are, but I do want you to avoid falling into that trap if you can help it, and perhaps a move to a better climate can be a longer term goal to work on.

Quote:
I also hate the shorter days, and get bummed out from them (hooray for Daylight Savings).
I think you should be aware that day length is exactly the same with or without Daylight Saving Time; shifting the clocks an hour or two ahead or behind does not extend the length of daylight - it merely shifts it around in what I believe is a cruel deception that is contrary to proper timekeeping. It's the same phenomenon as cutting the top quarter of a blanket off, sewing it onto the bottom, and then pretending you have a larger blanket, when in fact it's the same size.

Of course this time of year the days are getting longer rather rapidly, and regardless if actual solar noon is reckoned at 12 PM, 1 PM, or 10 PM, you should be enjoying it. I for one like the short days and long for their return come November. In fact, if it was physically possible, and if we could have the same amount of seasonality, I'd like the peak day length to be what it is at the equinoxes (12 hours), and then have the shortest days be only a few hours long.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I'm the exact opposite myself; those are the very things I dislike and it's much easier for me to warm up than to cool down. You're simply built differently and like different things from me or my wintry brethren. I apply "different strokes for different folks" - the only problem I have with anyone who hates cold is whining and acting like their preferences constitute objective truth for the entirety of humanity (behavior you don't exude).

Many people in your situation, who already like warmth but grow less tolerant of cold as they get older, make the mistake of moving to a too-hot-for-them Deep Southern climate like Florida where they will have to run the air conditioning for half the year, be trapped inside, and otherwise have the very same lifestyle problems as the Northern winters they were trying to escape from, only without the opportunity to be comfortable with proper clothing. These people falsely overrate southern climates because they think air conditioning is a cure-all from heat (it is not any more than heating is a cure-all for cold but they don't apply the same logic to cold), and get into a place that's too hot for them, when they'd be better off in a more moderate but still warm climate like L.A. You seem to genuinely like 80's and 90's along with summertime mugginess, so I think you'd be a suitable candidate to move to Florida, for instance. I'm not assuming you'll retire soon or that you don't have other things keeping you where you are, but I do want you to avoid falling into that trap if you can help it, and perhaps a move to a better climate can be a longer term goal to work on.

I think you should be aware that day length is exactly the same with or without Daylight Saving Time; shifting the clocks an hour or two ahead or behind does not extend the length of daylight - it merely shifts it around in what I believe is a cruel deception that is contrary to proper timekeeping. It's the same phenomenon as cutting the top quarter of a blanket off, sewing it onto the bottom, and then pretending you have a larger blanket, when in fact it's the same size.

Of course this time of year the days are getting longer rather rapidly, and regardless if actual solar noon is reckoned at 12 PM, 1 PM, or 10 PM, you should be enjoying it. I for one like the short days and long for their return come November. In fact, if it was physically possible, and if we could have the same amount of seasonality, I'd like the peak day length to be what it is at the equinoxes (12 hours), and then have the shortest days be only a few hours long.

As you said, "different strokes for different folks." No, I'm nowhere close to retirement. But one day I do plan on being a snowbird, and I'd do well in Florida. Still, if winter weather were the sole reason for me to leave Ohio, I would have left a long time ago. And I say snowbird, because I don't know that I could ever quite leave Ohio totally. It has it's pros and cons like anywhere else. Summer here, can get just as hot and muggy as some of the locations in the south east. The difference being, we get breaks, where it will cool down to day time highs in the 70s, which can be nice after a stretch of hot humid weather. Still, if I have the option to take 90, or 20, I'm taking 90, all day long.

As for Daylight Savings time, I know what you mean, but IMO it's still nice to now look outside at 8:00 and it's still not quite dark yet.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
I love a "mild" cold weather.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 PM

446 posts, read 997,284 times
I don't mind the sight of snow, I think it's beautiful, but cold weather for me is physically painful. I don't know why. But it cuts me like a knife, and for that reason, I dread being out in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather