Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,560 times

Advertisements

There are people who cannot bear cold, either they fell ill or they stay at home which is not recommended since the more you stay at home, the more you won’t bear cold. It is not a matter of likes and dislikes I think, it is just a matter of habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Cold feels like pain to me even when it isn't actually making me get hypothermia, so I prefer the feeling of milder air. I seem to be the only person in the country, at least on a weather forum, who is loving this winter so far - well I mean the milder temperatures obviously. And very happy not to have had any real snow or cold yet. Long may it continue.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
I like cold till it gets into the low 20's F.

A little bit of cold is always good for health, and it makes sure people dress up modestly rather than in a revealing manner. If its cold, you can never give an excuse for wearing too little. Chill feels refreshing, and I like wearing long sleeves and Jeans as opposed to T shirts and shorts. However, once it drops below approximately 24 F, the cold feels horrendous and starts paining my extremities. That's when I have to cover up with a arctic suit, gloves, and a hat and start hating the cold.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 AM

I'm still dressing up in a fleece and 3 layers til it reaches 85°F!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Cold feels like pain to me even when it isn't actually making me get hypothermia, so I prefer the feeling of milder air. I seem to be the only person in the country, at least on a weather forum, who is loving this winter so far - well I mean the milder temperatures obviously. And very happy not to have had any real snow or cold yet. Long may it continue.
I'm enjoying the mild winter, just not the wind and rain. The best thing here has been the lightning, which we've had on 4 days so far this month.

I'm just looking forward to the end of February when you can start feeling decent warmth in the Sun again. It reminds you that spring is just around the corner

Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 AM

Well no thunder/lighting here, except in my dreams. I love the mild air though, it just feels so comfortable compared to cold. The bad news is there's a massive cold snap coming next week if the latest GFS is to be believed. Highs of 1°C here every day next week, this is awful. My bills will be ridiculous. Thanks to the mild weather so far, they've been very good.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Not so mild in the U.S. this week! Temps are going to get back to normal by the weekend I hear! Right now, below 0 and very windy so wind chills are awful.

I like change of seasons, variations in temps, but this winter has been colder than normal, that isn't good. As long as I'm dressed properly I don't mind and being retired don't have to go out in the real extremes, not a problem.

The hate the cold/love the warm argument is always ongoing here. I'm a prefer cooler temps person, but whatever anyone is comfortable with (for them) is fine. I get irritated when people try to make it a right or wrong issue, there is no right or wrong. I realize people who live in warm climes aren't going to be happy with 40/50, as I'm not happy with 90.

I live in the Midwest, would never move where it is warmer, moved further north when I retired. It is what I like.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
There is a long, long list as to why I hate the cold:

1. I am a student at university living in a house.. mild weather = cheaper bills! (thankfully we have had a very mild winter so far!)

2. Cold mornings make it harder for me to get up

3. It is just plain uncomfortable going outside and having your nose and hands go numb

4. I love summer. It encourages people to go outside, I can finally get a decent tan, by January I have normally lost my tan!

5. I love wearing shorts, T shirt etc. With the mild weather this winter, there have been a few days in the last weeks where I haven't even worn a jumper and have been ok

6. I like to have my window wide open to get fresh air in. During winter not always possible (although last few days we have had very mild days, highs of 12C lows of 9-10C so I have had it slightly open

7. I dislike the scenery during winter. Most trees lose their leaves and I prefer everything blooming. Luckily around here we have palms and other evergreen trees, looking out of my house now about 40% of plants are still green/have leaves.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,226 times
I don't mind cold at all, only need to dress up properly and then i feel well outside.
Coldest temperature i had experienced in my life was -17°C/1°F and i didn't felt uncomfortable at all.
Plus a real winter with a snow covered langscape and barren trees is also a welcoming change from the other seasons, what i don't like in winter is the weather of the past weeks always between 5 to 10°C/40-50°F, gusty southern wind and flowers starting to bloom.

It's just plain wrong for me to see this in December and January, at this time of year i want to "feel" the winter than having springlike weather. The only positive aspect of the last month was the cheaper heating bill.. but anything else wasn't good at all for me.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Experienced single digits for the first time this morning, well barely. It was 9. I hated it. It's not that I was cold. I had on a coat so my arms and body we're fine. I just hate the feeling on my face and any other exposed region of skin. I'll take the 100s in Texas I get into September over that. Just walking outside when it's 100 isn't bad. It's only when you have to spend a decent amount of time outside. Just walking to get the mail or taking a dog out for a couple of minutes is terrible. Just walking from my car to my office was bad this morning.

Don't get me started on how overrated layers are. The whole "you can only take so much off" thing. Yea that's great inside where it might get to 60 at the coldest. I agree there. But we're just talking about a light jacket. Putting on multiple jackets and coats and whatever is a hassle. If I want to go outside in the summer I just wear exactly what I'm wearing inside. No change needed. Going outside in the cold requires putting stuff on and taking stuff off. 40s aren't that bad. I can handle that. Below that I start to dislike it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather