Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:13 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ lol

What exactly is a "greenie" in Australia?
the human equivalent of a bacterial infection.

Quote:
(most of the people here who're enthusiastic about the environment actually do a lot of research about their area of interest. )
that's good to hear, because the greenies here are communist extremists who go out of their way to oppose any form construction (oh noes think of the poor treezz and frogz).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post

that's good to hear, because the greenies here are communist extremists who go out of their way to oppose any form construction (oh noes think of the poor treezz and frogz).
In my part of Canada we don't have eco-activists in the news chaining themselves to trees. Occaisionally you hear about that out in B.C. In my part of Canada (and most parts) eco-activists tend to calmly gather names on petitions, lobby the government and other quiet, calm, dignified ways of getting attention. They generally keep a low profile about what makes them mad, but more often get attention on TV for the positive things certain individuals might do, like not use plastic shopping bags, putting up solar panels, using bio-degrable products instead of common plastics. etc.

I love the natural environment, and responsible development, as well as some preservation. However if these "greenies" think they are helping the trees and animals by outright fire prevention in a climate that normally sees fire, they are either knowingly contradricting themselves by killing the bush with "kindess" or they have all done way too many hits of acid.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
They arrested Brendan James Sokaluk (reavealed his name but not an image of his face) for one of the fires which killed around 10 people in the Churchill fire. The fire ended up burning his own house in Churchill which he claimed on insurance the day after the fire.

The deadliest fire which was in the Kinglake area north east of Melbourne and claimed around 120 lives looks like it was caused by a fallen power line.

The official death toll is now 189 and still set to rise.
How sad that someone caused such destruction and some of those deaths just for insurance $$. Things like that have happened up here, too.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:46 PM

177 posts, read 425,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
They arrested Brendan James Sokaluk (reavealed his name but not an image of his face) for one of the fires which killed around 10 people in the Churchill fire. The fire ended up burning his own house in Churchill which he claimed on insurance the day after the fire.

The deadliest fire which was in the Kinglake area north east of Melbourne and claimed around 120 lives looks like it was caused by a fallen power line.

The official death toll is now 189 and still set to rise.
I bought the paper this morning and had the full face picture on the front page, in the afternoon edition a black mark was stuck across his eyes/nose.

Sincerely hope he feels the full force of the law

Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
^^^ He'll plead insanity and get 2-3 years like almost every other muderer under our "justice" system.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 PM

813 posts, read 951,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi View Post
I bought the paper this morning and had the full face picture on the front page, in the afternoon edition a black mark was stuck across his eyes/nose.

Sincerely hope he feels the full force of the law
His image was also on Facebook or Myspace until they shut down his page.
The safest place for this ferrell is in jail because the public would kill him no questions asked.
Even jail is not 100% safe as depending on what jail there may be some inmates which were affected by the fires.
I am not a huge fan of the death penalty except on certain occasions.
This is one of those occasions.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 AM

177 posts, read 425,274 times
A very evil looking man I can tell you! A family member has been threatened as well as his ex-girlfriend who is a CFA volunteer.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,505,501 times
Agreed Damo. I'm not totaly for the death penalty exept for certain occasions. This is the occasion that I think it is needed. It really does sicken me.

OUTLOOK
No substantial rainfall for Victoria within the next 7 days, with most light activity being focused to the far east. Chance for mostly dry thunderstorms about the state from Thursday to Sunday.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Power Storm, I'm with ya on that. I'm not especially fond of the death penalty either, but sometimes......

Anyway, do you have that option in Australia? We have it here, but I don't believe that it's legal in some states.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I think the drought has been going for about 12 years now.
The Thomson Dam which holds about 30% of Melbourne's water storage capacity is currently sitting at 19.7% capacity...There are farmers in some districts walking off the land because they cannot afford to hand feed their stock anymore or buy their water in. They can't even grow their crops because there's not enough water to sustain them. Water in this country is a massive issue....
[quote=damo1995;7447450]Just this year alone we have had only 2.2mm of rain in Melbourne. We average around 650mm of rainfall per year but off memory it has been half that on previous years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi View Post
The big dry in Victoria along with SA, Tas and ACT is certainly very worrying given it's been ongoing since 1996.... Some are concluding the desert is moving southwards into those states
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Storm View Post
OUTLOOK
No substantial rainfall for Victoria within the next 7 days, with most light activity being focused to the far east. Chance for mostly dry thunderstorms about the state from Thursday to Sunday.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it may be that the current drought represents the new "normal" for Victoria and parts of South Australia. A drought lasting 12 years and showing no indication of abating is not a good sign. Not even in drought prone California has there been a dry spell lasting 12 years. Our own fabled midwest "Dust Bowl" was only about 6 to 8 years duration and a lot of that was aggrivated by poor soil conservation.
Global warming advocates have predicted that a warmer world would permit climate zones to shift poleward; towards the south in Australia. If they have it right, then Melbourne will have a rainfall pattern that is more similar to regions to the north that are typically drier.
This does not bode well. We could see an increase in wildfire incidence. Water rationing is a possibility; it is already a reality in some American communities. And if I am correct in my understanding that Victoria pretty much provides the rest of the continent with its fruit and veggies, there are places to go with that I'd rather not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather