Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What precipitation pattern?
Wet Winter/Dry Summer 8 25.00%
Dry Winter/Wet Summer 8 25.00%
Dry year round 5 15.63%
Wet year round 11 34.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
We haven't had a decent rainfall since November 27th......been 106 days since our last good rain. We had a few showers on Feb 2nd but that's about it. All in all we only had about 0.01 inches of precip in all of January and 0.13 in February.
Was your neighbourhood still green at all back in early January?

It's easy to imagine how brown it is now.
Are there any water-use restrictions going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 02:05 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Was your neighbourhood still green at all back in early January?

It's easy to imagine how brown it is now.
Are there any water-use restrictions going on?
In early January our grass was actually very green! There was also lots of bare trees though, I am not sure if you noticed that when you came down here.

Not many water restrictions yet! We actually have lots of places to get our water from unlike GA where our main source was Lake Lanier and that lake easily dries up.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
In early January our grass was actually very green! There was also lots of bare trees though, I am not sure if you noticed that when you came down here.

Not many water restrictions yet! We actually have lots of places to get our water from unlike GA where our main source was Lake Lanier and that lake easily dries up.
No, the only other time I was down there was the first winter after at least one major hurricane. The first time I can down, trees like coconut palms didn't look like they should grow there. (they looked alive, but very unhappy) But this time the coconut palms were thick with fronds and healthy looking; not scraggly like they were before. There were some trees without leaves, like the odd maple and cypress, but those trees are supposed to be deciduous anyways.

That's (sort of) good news.
Hopefully it's not wasted by things like daily car washes; don't want to see the Everglades dry up.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Default A bit off topic but...

I'm sure many Canadians would love to just have an annual rainfall pattern.
(rain is scarce in winter in many parts of Canada, probably even Toronto, as it's usually too cold to rain )

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-13-2009 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,975 times
I think dry climates have much better landscapes than wet ones... but I love storms. I don't know what to decide

Old 03-13-2009, 05:14 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,274 times
wet all year...

I hate dry summers. I'm not in the best place for that either...

Old 03-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I think dry climates have much better landscapes than wet ones... but I love storms. I don't know what to decide
Pick a dry & stormy climate of course.
Places like Australia's Pilbara and Kimberley would probably fit that.

I would consider San Antonio an overall dry climate... Isn't it quite stormy too?
How about southwest AZ? Aren't they stormy in summer?

Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
wet all year...

I hate dry summers. I'm not in the best place for that either...
Pardon me for my ignorance, but if Oregon has dry summers, does it get all of that rain it's known for in the winter then?

Old 03-13-2009, 07:20 PM

177 posts, read 425,274 times
Heavy rain all year around falling regularly. 2500mm for every month of the year mmm...

Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
No, the only other time I was down there was the first winter after at least one major hurricane. The first time I can down, trees like coconut palms didn't look like they should grow there. (they looked alive, but very unhappy) But this time the coconut palms were thick with fronds and healthy looking; not scraggly like they were before. There were some trees without leaves, like the odd maple and cypress, but those trees are supposed to be deciduous anyways.

That's (sort of) good news.
Hopefully it's not wasted by things like daily car washes; don't want to see the Everglades dry up.
The first time you came was it in January of 2006? Because that would have been 2 and 1/2 months after Hurricane Wilma! If you go on U.S 27 there is a dead strand of trees running the entire length from roughly NW part of Dade County up to were I-595/1-75 turns into Alligator Alley. Those trees are dead because of the 130+ mph winds that Wilma created. This year, we got plenty of rain in August (2008) and September and October where not overly hot and humid. And yes, most mangroves and "odd maples" (we have lots of them in my neighborhood) go completely bare in winter. Mostly from dryness though not from cold weather or loss in daylight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather