Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:21 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,555,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Great suggestions, but Portland is just too gloomy for me with 144 sunny days as opposed to 204 in Boise. Of course, I don't want to live in any big city, but I'm sure there are small towns that would be great.

I have so much other criteria as well. I can't afford to go back to California, so that's out.

We even get icy roads in Texas and I don't fare well driving on them as they're so treacherous. It doesn't happen often though, maybe once or twice a season. I don't mind Spring coming late and Fall early. That would be wonderful. I just want out of the brutal summers so badly and I never really liked living in the South anyway.

I looked up Flagstaff and would you believe their average snowfall is 99.5 inches? That must be an error, but I found it on Sperling's. I've also considered New Mexico, but the crime there and Arizona as well is horrendous. There is a little place in the mountains with a very small population in Southeastern NM called Timberon that I still haven't take off my list of possibilities even with NM's high crime rate.

As I said, weather is not my only concern. I'm single and will be "old" when I retire in about 6 years, so I must be very careful that I'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Another "must", mountains. They can be in the distance, but not too distant.

Thanks everyone for your posts and I welcome all suggestions.
While not as hot as Texas, Boise has pretty hot summers. July's average temperatures there are 60/89. August is 59/88.

90s in the summer there is common and highs above 100 aren't that rare either.

Even here in gloomy western Oregon, we get the occasional 100+ high. 90s aren't rare in the summer...even here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 05:29 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,272,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
While not as hot as Texas, Boise has pretty hot summers. July's average temperatures there are 60/89. August is 59/88.

90s in the summer there is common and highs above 100 aren't that rare either.

Even here in gloomy western Oregon, we get the occasional 100+ high. 90s aren't rare in the summer...even here.
Those summer temperatures are ideal. Highs in the 100s are okay because they usually don't last.

I love Oregon and Washington, two of the prettiest states I've ever visited. I have only been there in the summer and talk about delightful, they were. I have a friend in Woodland, WA and she refers to the gloomy weather for so many months. Hey, but she has the wonderful summers and in Texas, one can succumb from the heat in no time flat.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
24" would be somewhere like Cincinnati, OH or Dayton, OH. 10" would be Nashville/Oklahoma City or Lubbock, Texas . Places with 10-24" (in between) would be like Wichita, KC, St.Louis, Louisville, Springfield, MO, etc.
I must admit another reason I want to "go west" is because the places of which you speak above get tornadoes like Texas does. I'm sick of that threat every year.

If I can't find a "better" place than where I am now, I'll just stay put. I've stood it for 30 years and I have much less than that left on Earth, more than likely anyway.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,885 times
Look at Central Oregon; Bend, Redmond, Sisters, LaPine or even Prineville. Some of the best skiing in the state, sunshine 300 days a year, fabulous summers (not too hot, but yet warm), biking, hiking, everything a person would want in the outdoors. That's why it's called God's Country. Bend is an expensive area, but currently it's a buyers market and a retired person could buy very well. Golf courses are the best: Crosswater, 3 in Sunriver and so many more. Across the board it's more of the most gorgeous areas in the country. Visit before you decide.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:13 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
Come to Ouray, Ridgway, Telluride or Silverton Colorado. You'll see more snow that you thought possible.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:37 PM

437 posts, read 1,299,771 times
Dallas, Texas?

Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,513 times
Pueblo, CO or for a smaller town Cañon City, CO.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,513 times
Actually this website might help, they list the states in alphabetical order and all major cities in that state.

Snowfall - Average Total In Inches

Old 09-18-2010, 06:11 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Pueblo, CO or for a smaller town Cañon City, CO.

good picks !

Thanks also for that informative link. ( I've added it to my favorites list )

Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
Dallas, Texas?
I see this thread as been revived. I'm living near Dallas now and want to get out of here. I cannot take the six months of heat and humidity. Thanks though for your suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather