Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM

177 posts, read 425,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Melbourne's rainfall isn't low. We have absolutely no shortage of boring drizzly rain during the cold 3/4ths of the year. THe only reason why it's lower than Syd or Brisbane is because we get the crappy mindnumbing drizzle while syd/bris get all the heavy storms.

Interesting, Sydney's got way better weather year round with little extremes in temp. What could be more pleasant than 20C at night and 27C during the day every day in summer? The only thing I like about our climate is the occasional 46C day every 70 years.
Melbourne 600 - 650mm per year
Sydney 1200 - 1230mm per year

True that Melbourne has more "rain" days than Sydney but Sydney gets the much heavier falls and can rain for days on end.

When I left Melbourne in April 2001, Victoria was in the midst of a ugly drought which still continues today . Arrived in Sydney during a very severe and heavy April thunderstorm which dumped 80mm in one hour, I was in the city at the time and it was just so amazing to see such heavy rain and see flooding everywhere. The following month, May, was even more better with 371mm falling with many days of heavy showers/rain, I was absolutely in heaven after being deprived of the "heavy" rain in Melbourne for 5 years

Looking at this web cam (OMNIconnect's Melbourne Webcam - Featured Movies (http://webcam.omniconnect.com.au/movies.php - broken link)) of Melbourne shows nice and beautiful cloudy skies whereas here boring and vomit - inducing blue skies and sunshine which has been ongoing for the past 9 days

Pity the 20oC temps usually come with that foul humidity. That's one thing I really dislike about Sydney. I'd take Melbourne's lovely joyous, cool and non - humid weather right now but have to wait until tomorrow night when a gusty southerly change is expected and boy am I looking so forward to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi View Post
Melbourne 600 - 650mm per year
Sydney 1200 - 1230mm per year

True that Melbourne has more "rain" days than Sydney but Sydney gets the much heavier falls and can rain for days on end.
and hence why Melbourne's climate is more depressing. It has no trouble raining (actually more like drizzling) in Melbourne for days on end either.
[/quote]

Quote:
Looking at this web cam (OMNIconnect's Melbourne Webcam - Featured Movies (http://webcam.omniconnect.com.au/movies.php - broken link)) of Melbourne shows nice and beautiful cloudy skies whereas here boring and vomit - inducing blue skies and sunshine which has been ongoing for the past 9 days
yes, because everything being tainted a dreary slate-grey is "beautiful"...

Quote:
Pity the 20oC temps usually come with that foul humidity. That's one thing I really dislike about Sydney. I'd take Melbourne's lovely joyous, cool and non - humid weather right now but have to wait until tomorrow night when a gusty southerly change is expected and boy am I looking so forward to it
No amount of humidity at 20C will make it feel "foul".

Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 AM

Doesn't seem to have stopped the huge flow of people migrating to Melbourne from Sydney and even Queensland. Also hear a lot of comments that it doesn't rain enough in Melbourne compared to the 1980s and 1990s. That kind of weather isn't what I'd call depressing, I'd find it so refreshing and exciting

Melbourne would not be Melbourne without it's cloudiness. That is what makes Melbourne.

In your case. In my case, it certainly is most "foul", not to mention ghastly. I'd take the dry minimums of Melbourne anytime.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Doesn't seem to have stopped the huge flow of people migrating to Melbourne from Sydney and even Queensland. Also hear a lot of comments that it doesn't rain enough in Melbourne compared to the 1980s and 1990s. That kind of weather isn't what I'd call depressing, I'd find it so refreshing and exciting
It does rain enough in Melbourne. We've had more rain days this March than not, plus above average rainfall in Dec, Nov, Mar last year, and average in Aug, July, May. Anyone who says we don't get enough rain is a complete idiot, because we do.

Quote:
Melbourne would not be Melbourne without it's cloudiness. That is what makes Melbourne.
Yes it would.

Quote:
In your case. In my case, it certainly is most "foul", not to mention ghastly. I'd take the dry minimums of Melbourne anytime.
The only difference between a dry and humid 20C is the smell of the air.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
It does rain enough in Melbourne. We've had more rain days this March than not, plus above average rainfall in Dec, Nov, Mar last year, and average in Aug, July, May. Anyone who says we don't get enough rain is a complete idiot, because we do.

Yes it would.

I believe you.
Like I said before, hours of rain matter more to me than total amount of rain.

Melbourne sounds like a neat city overall.
I think it be neat to have a city like that north of the 20th parallel.

I agree again.
I don't start to feel colder from humidity until 17-18 C,
or warmer from humidty before 22-23 C.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
I'll take as much sun as anyone will forward.........for the year.

Florida weather is fine by me.....

The more sun the merrier........

Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Yes it would.

1. So only 2 months out of 12 had above average with the remaining 10 being below. Quite a pretty poor effort and certainly justifies other people's claims that it doesn't rain enough. The total rain for last year was just 449mm, 2007 had 448mm and 2006 438mm, around 200 - 220mm below average. In fact the rainfall total has never reached the average (650mm) since 1996. I remember 1996 (except the last 3 months) as being a decent "wet" year.

2. Then you do agree with me after all.

3. The smell of air has nothing to do with humidity or dryness in my case at all. I dare you to come and live in Sydney for a year and experience our humid summer, you'll then see what I'm really talking about.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
1. So only 2 months out of 12 had above average with the remaining 10 being below. Quite a pretty poor effort and certainly justifies other people's claims that it doesn't rain enough.

The total rain for last year was just 449mm, 2007 had 448mm and 2006 438mm, around 200 - 220mm below average. In fact the rainfall total has never reached the average (650mm) since 1996. I remember 1996 (except the last 3 months) as being a decent "wet" year.
You seem to forget that the average rainfall here is spread over 140 damp, drizzly days. An example is this March. So far, 47.6mm total, but spread over 15, count 'em 15 drizzly damp days. Here, the lawns and paddocks are already green. You don't need a huge average to have a "wet" climate.

Quote:
2. Then you do agree with me after all.
What I was implying is that Melbourne would still be Melbourne without all the cloud.

Quote:
3. The smell of air has nothing to do with humidity or dryness in my case at all. I dare you to come and live in Sydney for a year and experience our humid summer, you'll then see what I'm really talking about.
Your summers are chicken feed compared to places further north. Certainly not the Darwin you seem to believe it is. I'll have no problems "enduring" 20C nights and 26-27C days with continual afternoon seabreezes.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
The smell of air has nothing to do with humidity or dryness in my case at all. I dare you to come and live in Sydney for a year and experience our humid summer, you'll then see what I'm really talking about.
I think what SAB is getting at is 20 C and even 100% humidity is hardly summer weather by itself;
let alone "terrible" summer weather, even without a breeze.

Here in Toronto, it's just as easy for us to have 20 C and 100% humidity in Spring
(on a day where our average high might only be 15 C)
as it is during summer when we do average highs from 24-27 C.

*Summer's "not for everyone" though, it sounds like you might not like summer anyways, and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
You seem to forget that the average rainfall here is spread over 140 damp, drizzly days. An example is this March. So far, 47.6mm total, but spread over 15, count 'em 15 drizzly damp days. Here, the lawns and paddocks are already green. You don't need a huge average to have a "wet" climate.

What I was implying is that Melbourne would still be Melbourne without all the cloud.

Your summers are chicken feed compared to places further north. Certainly not the Darwin you seem to believe it is. I'll have no problems "enduring" 20C nights and 26-27C days with continual afternoon seabreezes.
1. Then rainfall is indeed declining over Victoria then. You forget that the average of 47mm is the "long-term mean". When averaged over a 10 year period, the actual mean (2000-2009) has dropped to 42mm. In fact every month has shown large declines in the mean rainfall with some month's mean dropping by 18 - 19mm and the decade's deficit is running at 129mm. In fact the decade of the 2000s is going to go down as the driest decade ever since records began in the 1850s.

Drizzle doesn't last for 24 hour periods. I looked at the daily weather observations, 14 days of more likely showers or short periods of drizzle. Out of the 14 days, 5 days had falls 0.2mm or less, hardly significant at all and another 6 had falls from 1.0 - 4.9mm. Only one day of good rain (20mm to 9am on 15th) is what can be termed significant.

2. Then you do agree with me in the first place then.

3. I never said anything about Sydney being "Darwin". That is simply ridiculous given how far south Sydney is from Darwin (Around 3146km give or take to be exact). The sea breezes don't actually blow everyday and is far less in the city and western suburbs.

Melbourne certainly isn't that cold either come to think of it when compared to other places such as Ballarat, Armidale, Orange, Guyra, Cooma, Hobart etc which certainly have much colder winters than Melbourne. You should try living in those places then you'll realise what encompasses a "real" winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather