Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:50 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,338,459 times

Advertisements

Certainly not in my case. I love the cold and hate the heat , live for the cold every year after getting through the horrible hot and humid summers (March's minimums was 1.4oC above the mean which was so horrible). Winter is creeping closer and closer, minimums are forecast to drop into single digits on Friday night

Cold is great as one can sleep easier at night in bed without breaking into a sweat should one move a wee bit. Exercise doesn't feel so tiring. The body and mind feels very alert. Easier to warm up than to cool down. People are noticably happier and friendlier.

April has so far been very nice with little humidity and cool temperatures. Enoying wearing jackets and jeans once again. If anyone wants all year around heat, just move to the northern states and everyone's happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 05:01 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,439,517 times
Australian cold is different than American/Canadian/European cold. In places that get truly cold, people are not happier and friendlier when it's cold. To give you an idea of how cold it is where I live, the average high in the winter is 2 C. Some places have it even worse.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:26 PM

2oC sounds really nice . Be lucky to get that here at all . Am really looking forward to winter, bring it on

Old 04-11-2009, 08:02 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,713,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Cold is great as one can sleep easier at night in bed without breaking into a sweat should one move a wee bit. Exercise doesn't feel so tiring. The body and mind feels very alert. Easier to warm up than to cool down. People are noticably happier and friendlier.

April has so far been very nice with little humidity and cool temperatures. Enoying wearing jackets and jeans once again. If anyone wants all year around heat, just move to the northern states and everyone's happy.
What do you call "cold?"
I am definitely less happy and friendly with any outdoor temps below 7 C, even for morning lows sometimes.

Funny how you mention that,
because as a kid, I pictured all of Australia as a place where jackets "should"
be useless, unneccessary and/or purely for fashion, rather than for functional reasons...
at least during the daytime.

*And I don't count that as "heat"; just an absence of daytime "chill."
(like San Diego; coats are "unneccessary" 300+ afternoons a year, but a place where "heat" is also uncommon)

** Sounds like southern NSW would not be a good place for me. Thoughts?

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-11-2009 at 08:19 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 10:28 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,875,996 times
Southern NSW is a no-go zone. Like Melbourne, it suffers from frequent cold fronts, miserable gloom and low temperatures year round. Extreme heat can occru though, although you have to be atleast 10km inland, but anything above 40C is rare, occuring on average once a year on the coast. Anywhere north of Sydney experiences lovely summers with average overnight lows of atleast 20C during the warmest months and frequent thunderstorms. Very hot days above 40C are still rare, almost non-existant in the coastal north, but average temps are higher thanks to a lack of cold fronts; and the warmer seas found north of Syd help keep the temps up, even when cold fronts do make the rare incursion.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What do you call "cold?"
I am definitely less happy and friendly with any outdoor temps below 7 C, even for morning lows sometimes.

Funny how you mention that,
because as a kid, I pictured all of Australia as a place where jackets "should"
be useless, unneccessary and/or purely for fashion, rather than for functional reasons...
at least during the daytime.
*And I don't count that as "heat"; just an absence of daytime "chill."
(like San Diego; coats are "unneccessary" 300+ afternoons a year, but a place where "heat" is also uncommon)

** Sounds like southern NSW would not be a good place for me. Thoughts?
Cold to me is when temperatures drop below 15oC at night and 21oC during daytime. Jackets, jeans, jumpers etc are necessary over the southern half of Australia from April to October-November for warmth and comfort rather than for "fashion".

Brisbane however in spite of it's more northerly location does get quite cold at night in the winter which does require winter woolies. In some Brisbane suburbs, temperatures can drop below zero (oC).

Sydney can get quite cold and a lot of visitors and immigrants are often surprised by this. Wind is often icy and gusty as it comes off the mountains and can feel like knifes slicing through one's body. it can drop down to 3oC every year in the city, western areas can get down to -4, -3oC etc. Several days will fail to reach 15oC. Long periods of overcast/rainy/cold weather can occur at any time especially south - easterlies coupled with an upper trough which can cause heavy showers, thunderstorms, hail and squalls for days on end

Coastal areas don't get 40oC very often (thank god ) but there can be times where prolonged heatwaves can occur as as the January 1960 one in Sydney which saw 4 consecutive days over 39oC (102 F) including 3 days exceeding 40 degrees C (104 F) with the maximum temperature of the event being 43oC (109 F).

If one wants all year round warmth, go to Darwin or the northern part of WA and QLD.

Southern NSW is often colder than Sydney, more so in inland areas. Coastal areas is often similar to Sydney but usually more cooler and can be subjected to extremely variable weather in a day or so. For the record, 59% of NSW is currently in drought and this includes the southern half of NSW.

Be aware that the further north you go in Summer, it is often cloudier than any other season and torrential rain from monsoonal lows or ex tropical cyclones can last for days on end causing severe floods with damages that runs into millions of dollars.

Perth usually is the better place to be for heat/sun - lovers during summers and Darwin during the winters.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:03 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,875,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Cold to me is when temperatures drop below 15oC at night and 21oC during daytime. Jackets, jeans, jumpers etc are necessary over the southern half of Australia from April to October-November for warmth and comfort rather than for "fashion".
and you call yourself a "cold lover"? That's exactly my threshold temps for jackets and jumpers :shoc ked:: shocked: ANd I agree with ya (Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) that jackets and jumpers are needed across southern Australia (read: MELBOURNE) from April to November. melbourne barely has a summer and by April it is already hypothermic and it takes till November until one can can the jacket...during the day

Quote:
Brisbane however in spite of it's more northerly location does get quite cold at night in the winter which does require winter woolies. In some Brisbane suburbs, temperatures can drop below zero (oC).
Agreed. Brisbane's climate is nothing special considering its latitude (just compare to Miami) but they get some spectacular summer thunderstorms, and thus their climate is infinately superior to Melbourne's freezing cold "summers" and perpetual gloomy winters. Our winters are actually the main reason why people jump off the Westgate Bridge.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
and you call yourself a "cold lover"? That's exactly my threshold temps for jackets and jumpers :shoc ked:: shocked: ANd I agree with ya (Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) that jackets and jumpers are needed across southern Australia (read: MELBOURNE) from April to November. melbourne barely has a summer and by April it is already hypothermic and it takes till November until one can can the jacket...during the day

Agreed. Brisbane's climate is nothing special considering its latitude (just compare to Miami) but they get some spectacular summer thunderstorms, and thus their climate is infinately superior to Melbourne's freezing cold "summers" and perpetual gloomy winters. Our winters are actually the main reason why people jump off the Westgate Bridge.
Exactly. Love the cold heaps . Love wearing winter woolies & being so alert and fit as opposed to wearing shorts and singlet on foul energy sapping hot and humid days , even wearing those summer clothes doesn't help cool one down and people are not usually happy and quite unfriendly/grumpy. Wish it would be cold everyday but I can only dream. Summer 2007/2008 was bloody fantastic as the daily max did not exceed 31oC at all, much wetter and cloudier & much cooler than usual with little humidity and 20oC nights

Old 04-12-2009, 05:54 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,813,394 times
In Perth, wearing jumpers or jackets is more a comfort thing that needing to survive it. Unless you're old or sick, you can't really DIE in a Perth winter like in Canada or somewhere (my definition of it being 'too cold', when you can freeze to death outside).

I don't envy Melbourne's temperatures at all. I like proper summers, but Perth is becoming ridiculous. It only has two seasons; April so far has been almost bone dry, clear skies with highs in the 30s and warm, muggy nights. I must say, though, they're good for late-night walks; warm, low humidity with a cool breeze.

Brisbane has a really good climate imo. Not as hot as the southern US in summer, beautiful winters (I could live there wearing a T-shirt all year round), lots of exciting storms, and decent sunshine throughout the year, even in summer (in contrast to Perth's super sunny summers and winters on the cloudy side). Sydney's winters are also better than Perth's; sunnier and about as mild. The Perth winter cold is mostly from wind and rain, in that order...Perth's windiness is what makes winters uncomfortably cool at times. On a clear day in winter I can be quite comfy in short sleeves.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 PM

927 posts, read 1,939,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Brisbane has a really good climate imo...lots of exciting storms...
Speaking of which....Didn't brisbane get walloped by the "mother of all thunderstorms" just this last Novenber?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather