U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 PM

712 posts, read 766,088 times
On october 12, 1962 a wind gust of 127 mph was recorded at the Corvallis airport. This was during a severe extratropical storm during which average wind speeds were running about 70. I wasn't in the area then so I didn't get to experience it.
An even worse storm occurred in December of 2007. Called the Great Coastal Gale, It impacted a stretch of Pacific Coast from Fort Bragg in California to well north of the Canadian border and as far inland as eastern Idaho. At it's maximum extent, it had a circle of influence nearly 3500 miles across. Maximum winds weren't as strong (Although Naselle Ridge in Washington has gusts approaching 150 mph) as during the 1962 event but it's 60 hour duration was nearly 12 times as long. Rainfall amounts during the storm were as high as 14 inches and contributed to historic floods. This storm I did experience and while we in Corvallis dodged a bullet, places like Tillamook, Lincoln City, Astoria, Vernonia, Chehalis, Kelso Hoquiam and others were hammered by wind or flooding.
A very good synopsis of this storm can be found here:
Welcome to the Oregon Climate Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,996,409 times
Quote:
Wind Speeds of the Columbus Day 1962 Storm

Location Strongest Wind Speed

Astoria Sustained 44 mph, peak gust of 96 mph
Newport Peak gust of 138 mph before wind instrument was damaged
Mt Hebo radar site Unofficial wind gust of 130 mph.
North Bend Peak gust of 81 mph
Portland, Airport frequent gusts 88 mph, with peak wind gust of 104 mph (estimated since power was lost)
Portland, Downtown Peak wind gust of 93 mph
Morrison Bridge, Portland Peak wind gust of 116 mph
Hillsboro Peak wind gust of 90 mph
Troutdale Sustained wind of 66 mph, peak gust 106 mph
Salem Sustained wind of 58 mph, peak gust 90 mph
Corvallis Peak wind gust of 127 mph at the airport
Eugene Sustained wind of 63 mph, peak gust of 86 mph
Roseburg Peak wind gust of 62 mph
Medford Peak wind gust of 58 mph
Klamath Falls Peak wind gust of 65 mph
Lakeview Peak wind gust of 58 mph
Redmond Peak wind gust of 47 mph
The Dalles Peak wind gust of 29 mph
Pendleton Peak wind gust of 42 mph
Quote:
December 1-3, 2007 Hurricane Force Wind Storm

A windstorm packing hurricane force winds battered the coasts of Washington and Oregon during December 1-3, 2007. Winds with this storm were second only to that of the 1962 Columbus Day Storm with a recorded gust of 129 mph at Bay City, Oregon (reports of as much as 147 mph at unpopulated areas); however, the longevity of winds with this storm far exceeded the Columbus Day Storm with sustained winds in excess of 50 mph for over 2 days. This storm also delivered significant wave heights (top 1/3 of wave heights) of 48 feet before unmooring the buoys that were observing them and caused significant flooding on coastal rivers and some Willamette Tributaries. This led to the closure of all east-west roads through the Coast Range into the Willamette Valley and cut power to the area for at least 4 days.
National Weather Service - NWS Portland

Last edited by Candle; 04-24-2009 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 03:15 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,996,409 times
Quote:
January 9, 1880: A Most Unusual Storm

If cyclones competed for "Strongest Storm on Record," the final round would probably be between the windstorm of January 9, 1880, and the Columbus Day storm of 1962. Due to limited wind data in 1880, this assessment is based primarily on anecdotal evidence presented in newspapers, such as the Daily Oregonian, and from what weather observations could be had from carefully monitored stations like those of the U.S. Army Signal Service. If the articles are taken at face value, then it seems that damage in 1880, at least to timberland and orchard trees, was comparable to the Columbus Day Storm.

On January 9, 1880, an extremely deep low--possibly deeper than 955 mb--dove inland near the mouth of the Columbia River, probably south of Astoria, on a track that was apparently in a northeastward direction that skirted across Washington County, and then through the Kalama area. This path is based on noting areas that had little or no damage, which contrast sharply against reports of severe damage in regions nearby, and is critical in understanding the nature of a specific type of windstorm: those produced when strong lows move inland. The "Big Three" examined in detail on other pages, October 1962, November 1981, and December 1995, stayed offshore during most of their high-wind generating period, in some cases fairly far offshore. When a midlatitude cyclone moves overland, instead of following the coastline, it creates a signature that is distinct from the Big Three, mainly because places north of the low's centerline tend to be spared the highest winds, and also because the same locations sometimes experience snow from the low's cold northwest quadrant.
The January 9, 1880 Storm King (http://www.ocs.orst.edu/storm_king_site/January1880.html - broken link)

955mb is 28.20"

Downtown Portland recorded a record low barometric pressure of 28.56" from this storm.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:28 PM

18,269 posts, read 2,579,180 times
Last summer:

162 km/h at Austin Lake.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 PM

6,992 posts, read 13,391,186 times
Not sure about my house, but officially at our local airport (23 miles away), the record wind recorded was 66 mph on May 9, 2003 during severe thunderstorms.

I estimate 70 mph winds as the strongest here at my house.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 AM

247 posts, read 197,334 times
It's been many and repeatedly gusts of about 170-175 kmh a few years ago , but we are a windy city , the bora (aka buran) hits strong.
It was scary , hardly slept because of the noise , the wooooo of the wind and the shutters , it's feel like sooner or later somethin has to fall , a tree , part of the roof and so on , thanx God it hasn't happened anymore.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,648 times
116 mph on the Morrison Bridge in Downtown --(that's in the middle of the skyscrapers, folks.)-- Portland, Oregon during the Columbus Day Storm. Cape Blanco recorded gusts of over 179 mph and sustained winds at Cat 5 strength before the entire anemometer tower was sheared off. yikes.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM

7,915 posts, read 4,747,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
On october 12, 1962 a wind gust of 127 mph was recorded at the Corvallis airport. This was during a severe extratropical storm during which average wind speeds were running about 70. I wasn't in the area then so I didn't get to experience it.
An even worse storm occurred in December of 2007. Called the Great Coastal Gale, It impacted a stretch of Pacific Coast from Fort Bragg in California to well north of the Canadian border and as far inland as eastern Idaho. At it's maximum extent, it had a circle of influence nearly 3500 miles across. Maximum winds weren't as strong (Although Naselle Ridge in Washington has gusts approaching 150 mph) as during the 1962 event but it's 60 hour duration was nearly 12 times as long. Rainfall amounts during the storm were as high as 14 inches and contributed to historic floods. This storm I did experience and while we in Corvallis dodged a bullet, places like Tillamook, Lincoln City, Astoria, Vernonia, Chehalis, Kelso Hoquiam and others were hammered by wind or flooding.
A very good synopsis of this storm can be found here:
Welcome to the Oregon Climate Service

Yeah, what you said. LOL....... I'm ON the NW WA coast.....it can get pretty gnarly here in the winter. The storm of 2007 left us without power for 7 days a storm a few months later...7 more days.....and we were some of the lucky ones. Today is not nice either...a wonderful breeze is howling. We just had over 6,000 without power in the last couple of days, and I believe a few more just got it on today. We, again, were some of the lucky ones. Thanks goodness for woodstoves.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:27 AM

193 posts, read 131,909 times
The highest wind gust recorded in Ireland was 124mph and it was about 100 miles from where I live. We had some pretty bad storms especially in the 1980s (too young to remember) and 1990s and I remember 26th December 1998 when we had gusts of up to 110mph which blew part of the roof of our house and caused widespread damage throughout the country. We had no electricity for three days and a cold front came through right after the storm with snow/ice everywhere. Bloody freezing with no heat/electricity!

The last *big* storm was in January 2008 and we had gusts of 104mph, again losing some of the roof!

We do have tornadoes on occasion but they usually dissipate pretty quickly and rarely do any damage.

Our average windspeed is 17mph which is pretty windy but I love wind :-)

Old 11-21-2009, 04:12 AM
AB

5,060 posts, read 2,732,156 times
highest recorded wind gust I've seen in Melbourne this year is 128km/h, during a thunderstorm a few months ago but gusts to 170km/h have been recorded at Wilson's promontory this year which is about 150km away.

The windiest place in Australia is probably Maatsyker Island, in Tasmania: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/200908/html/IDCJDW7031.200908.shtml (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather