Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 15,682 times

Advertisements

Am trying to decide where to retire. I want winters not below 45, warm, near water, no hurricane or tornado seasons. I live in Lebanon, PA and all children and grand children are against my moving. So need close enough so they can visit on vacations. They do travel as far as North Carolina. And oh yes. The most important part. Affordable on a set income. Will be working part time wherever I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 AM

13,378 posts, read 28,631,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmae View Post
Am trying to decide where to retire. I want winters not below 45, warm, near water, no hurricane or tornado seasons. I live in Lebanon, PA and all children and grand children are against my moving. So need close enough so they can visit on vacations. They do travel as far as North Carolina. And oh yes. The most important part. Affordable on a set income. Will be working part time wherever I go.
Except for being close & affordable San Diego would fit the bill weather wise
Anywhere on the east coast and southern states you are going to have HIGH humidity in summer and threat of hurricane if on the coast..

You may just want to stay put and if retired just stay indoors when winter temps plunge

Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,000,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Except for being close & affordable San Diego would fit the bill weather wise
Anywhere on the east coast and southern states you are going to have HIGH humidity in summer and threat of hurricane if on the coast..

You may just want to stay put and if retired just stay indoors when winter temps plunge
Rainmae didn't specify humidity. Eastern Florida, like near Orlando, has virtually no hurricane season as it is in the wrong part of state for it. The only threat of a hurricane there, is a very weak hurricane that would hit Western Florida first, and then cross the state. By the time it hits around Orlando, or areas further east, it would be nearly dissolved to a Tropical Storm. Not sure about the tornado threat, although I have heard that waterspouts are occasionally sighted.

Other than that, like njkate said, S. California near San Diego would be your best bet. Both E. Florida and S. California will be fairly expensive though.

Ian

Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,720,403 times
Perth here, very similar to Lebanon.
Adelaide is also similar, but colder winters.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:34 AM

93 posts, read 181,833 times
Default can't happen, can it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Perth here, very similar to Lebanon.
Adelaide is also similar, but colder winters.
Just how would you suggest a US citizen retire to Perth? You know tricks that everyone else doesn't? I don't think so!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 PM

497 posts, read 1,084,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappingfish View Post
Just how would you suggest a US citizen retire to Perth? You know tricks that everyone else doesn't? I don't think so!
Learn the Aussie accent (film, soap operas etc). Then perfect a cover story eg, "was forced to leave Geelong by the mob". That might work.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,799,615 times
Average low for Seattle in Winter is 35, average high in summer is 75. Low humidity in summer, snow is a rarity in winter (and MOST snowfall is gone very quickly, and some years don't even get any at all), but you deal with a lot of overcast and drizzle in winter. Summers are absolutely beautiful. Clear skies and long days.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,274,139 times
There are areas of Hawaii with low humidity located in the rain shadows of higher mountains. These locations tend to be smaller towns and are probably expensive.

Areas of California's Central Coast come very close if you are close to the water. Expense varies significantly mile by mile.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,748 times
i am interested in visiting Seatle in the summer time, where is the best place i can stay within walking distances to attractions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather