Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piazza View Post
The worst cities: London, Amsterdam. Hardly any sunshine from September to early April and partly cloudy from April to August. Just 1600 hours of sunshine a year. In Summer, it is only 22 degrees Celsius. And people are so stupid to complain when it is 25 degrees.
lol they do that here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 AM

60 posts, read 94,391 times
London

Old 08-25-2009, 02:04 PM

34 posts, read 63,894 times
Central Mid West (Missouri in particular) not my fav climate and I would like some input on the following issue~
Born and raised in the center of the US. (Kansas City, MO) I'm an old lady now '50' and kids are grown. I'm ready to live alittle and hubby and I are looking for milder summers AND winters than what this area has. We are tired of driving to work on ice and snow in winter and tired of excessive heat in summer. We've visited the SE, SW and North Central regions. What about the Pacific North West like Oregon? West of Cascades and inland from coast about an hour??? Snow up there? Ice up there? Is heat a long drawn out thing like it is here during July and August? HELP~ I like warmth and sunshine but not HOT. Not too much to ask is it??? Visited PNW recently- specifially Oregon and it was great. I am concerned about gray skies over lengthy periods of time. Do they really have 3 SOLID months of no sunshine throughout the winter months???
Need good solid feedback if anyone can offer this.
Thx (smile)

Old 08-25-2009, 05:21 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
"No sunshine" is typical hyperbole. Actual averages for 2 Seattle sites (Name, #years record, %possible sun for Jan, Feb, Mar,....Dec, year):

Seattle C.O., Wa 31 28 34 42 47 52 49 63 56 53 37 28 23 43
Seattle Sea-Tac Ap, Wa 30 28 40 50 52 56 56 65 65 62 43 28 23 47

Cloudy climates by US standards, but there are substantial inhabited portions of the planet that are much cloudier.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,505 times
weather is bad period! I have lived in souther california my whole life and it is unbearably hot in the summer. Not humid at least but it was 107 last week and my kids couldn't even play at recess because it was too hot the school found it unsafe. It smells from smog so hot mixed with fumes is aweful! not to mention the huge fires every summer that cover the entire area with thick black smoke and ash! our winters hear aren't bad maybe 2 weeks of rain and the lowest is like 30-40.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandyrun View Post
Central Mid West (Missouri in particular) not my fav climate and I would like some input on the following issue~
Born and raised in the center of the US. (Kansas City, MO) I'm an old lady now '50' and kids are grown. I'm ready to live alittle and hubby and I are looking for milder summers AND winters than what this area has. We are tired of driving to work on ice and snow in winter and tired of excessive heat in summer. We've visited the SE, SW and North Central regions. What about the Pacific North West like Oregon? West of Cascades and inland from coast about an hour??? Snow up there? Ice up there? Is heat a long drawn out thing like it is here during July and August? HELP~ I like warmth and sunshine but not HOT. Not too much to ask is it??? Visited PNW recently- specifially Oregon and it was great. I am concerned about gray skies over lengthy periods of time. Do they really have 3 SOLID months of no sunshine throughout the winter months???
Need good solid feedback if anyone can offer this.
Thx (smile)

I love Oregon and live outside Portland.
Low humidity all summer. Had only a couple weeks of what some called HOT weather but I was raised in the deep south so didn't think it was all that hot.
Most don't have ac tho due to not normally hot temps. The last winter was cold and snowed but that too was unusual,I've been told.
I love the temps here. The weather is awesome--to me.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM

60 posts, read 94,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piazza View Post
The worst cities: London, Amsterdam. Hardly any sunshine from September to early April and partly cloudy from April to August. Just 1600 hours of sunshine a year. In Summer, it is only 22 degrees Celsius. And people are so stupid to complain when it is 25 degrees.
I hope youre not calling me stupid. I for one live in London and I dont think that 25 deg is something to complain about. I love the heat which is probably for me 35 and above of which we dont really get a lot of. Yet I was born in London. Dont judge before you've heard people's views who live there.

And we do get more than 22 degrees in the summer. Maybe you dont in Rotterdam

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 AM

159 posts, read 461,113 times
I am in Indiana and it is beautiful here today but dreading the winter coming up. Does anyone on here know how cold it gets in Destin and Pensacola in the winter months? I have a job opportunity there but want to move to warm weather!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Seattle C.O., Wa 31 28 34 42 47 52 49 63 56 53 37 28 23 43
Seattle Sea-Tac Ap, Wa 30 28 40 50 52 56 56 65 65 62 43 28 23 47
Buxton, Derbyshire's winter monthly sunshine is typically around 10% of the maximum possible which makes Seattle's winter seem like somewhere on the Costa del Sol.

http://www.buxtonweather.fsnet.co.uk/rainsunchartwebsite.htm (broken link)

Not exhaustive but all that there is for the area.

Last edited by RichardW; 09-15-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Buxton, Derbyshire's winter monthly sunshine is typically around 10% of the maximum possible which makes Seattle's winter seem like somewhere on the Costa del Sol.

Rain – To reset at Midnight on the last day of the month (http://www.buxtonweather.fsnet.co.uk/rainsunchartwebsite.htm - broken link)

Not exhaustive but all that there is for the area.
Do you have validated Met. averages for sunshine 1971-2000?

There is also the issue of hills - to be fair you have to know what proportion of astronomical daylight is lost thereby. If the recorder is affected by them it's feasible there might be a nearby spot that is less affected and would get higher numbers. The lowest number I have for England in an incomplete list is 1149 at Malham Tarn, Yorkshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather