U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:54 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,805,711 times
Thanks everyone - it seemed weird that could happen on city water but as I said I've always avoided it. Glad it is justified after all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 07:49 PM

5,060 posts, read 2,732,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Would that shower thing still hold true if your house was grounded? Freaky!!!
I wouldnt try it, on Mythbusters something in their "bathroom" caught fire when they replicated it,They also did the phone experiment, and they got a voltage high enough to "kill" Buster.....from a spark that is 100x weaker than real lightning!

All in all, I would not touch the phone or dare shower in a storm. I'd much rather be drinking some wine and enjoying the light and sound spectacular

Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 PM

28 posts, read 43,277 times
Taps ( Faucets) should also be avoided during a violent storm. Metal sinks, too.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:40 AM

1,921 posts, read 3,012,689 times
When I was a kid, my mother used to turn off and unplug all the TV sets when storms were threatening. And of course being on the phone or in a shower or bathtub was a no-no.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 AM

12,152 posts, read 20,570,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Would that shower thing still hold true if your house was grounded? Freaky!!!
Yes. Lightening strikes are the cloud energy seeking ground. Just ask the person who was struck INSIDE a building while wiring it; Lightening came in on the ground, followed the huge cable that was being pulled and rattled my cage good. There isn't enough money in the world to get me into a shower during a lightening storm, nor will I pull wire in a building with large openings on the sides during the storm anymore either. Got lucky once, I'm not pushing it any further.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:06 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,158,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
When I was a kid, my mother used to turn off and unplug all the TV sets when storms were threatening. And of course being on the phone or in a shower or bathtub was a no-no.
I hear you there. We must've grown up around the same time. People were much more cautious back then and while I was growing up, I thought they were silly. But I've learned that all of it is a very good precaution.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:20 PM

43,862 posts, read 25,314,913 times
It is amazing how many people are injured or killed by lightning every year due to not taking it seriously!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 PM

28 posts, read 43,277 times
Metal bed frames can also be a risk. I avoid mine if there is a violent storm, a rare occurrence in England.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,656,819 times
I'm amazed I'm still alive! I never kept away from that stuff. Sometimes it was raining and thundering and I'd take a shower and the lights would go off, someone must've been looking out for me But now i know, and knowing is half the battle GI JOE!! Movies coming out soon! Sorry the kid in me just got excited!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 PM

6,992 posts, read 13,391,186 times
Thats right. The lightning can travel through the plumbing. I always take a shower of the morning, so I try to time it where I can get a shower on stormy mornings, but I watch the radar and make sure no storms are close. If I hear thunder, I high-tail it out of there.

Also corded phones are dangerous to be on during the storm, as well as being around appliances/windows.

In a car, you are safe from lightning. I was in the car for an hour today waiting for a severe storm to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather