U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,010,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
So in answer to the op....
no, I don't particularly enjoy the feeling of being cold, but I generally prefer it to being too hot. Also, when I am inside in a heated building in the winter, I generally feel "toasty" and "just right" not hot, not cold.

With a/c, it is harder to achieve that equilibrium IMO.
You can feel "toasty" indoors in winter?

When I'm in a heated building,
I never feel "toasty" and only occaisionally feel "just right."
Most of the time at 72 F (22 C) indoors, I can't forget a sense of cooling on my skin.
So most of the winter I'm not at equilibrium indoors,
without a sweater and a hot drink, or moderate-to-heavy excerisize.

With A/C in summer on the other hand,
I either feel "equilibrium," or I feel "slightly over-chilled."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Most of the time at 72 F (22 C) indoors, I can't forget a sense of cooling on my skin.

Well, again ...when it gets too cold outside, colder than say, 25 degrees F, it is harder to maintain that "just right" feeling. Then sometimes I get the feeling like with the a/c....that I have to keep adjusting the thermostat to get things to feel right. Again, though, I prefer this to the heat of summer and the a/c. One problem with the heat down here, too, is that public places (including the bank where I work) often OVER air condition spaces...so that you constantly feel actually feel too cold inside. For some reason, being a bit too cold due to air conditioning feels worse to me than being a bit too cold in a room just cause it's cold out. I think the reason is that a/c systems can be drafty and uneven if that makes sense.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,723,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Last few winters I lived in an apartment where I controlled the temperature and could set it to as warm as I wanted. I didn't have a thermostat but it definitely felt over 80 degrees at some points.
Also one of the winters, the air system in our office building wasn't working properly and it was very warm inside. Every single person had a fan on their desks. People were walking around with wet spots under their armpits. It was funny and almost impossible to do any work.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:25 PM

8,772 posts, read 6,713,743 times
I'm almost always pretty comfortable all winter long, unless I'm somewhere where the heat is turned up too high. Granted, our winters aren't terribly cold (mostly 30s-50sF). Now in the summer I'm almost never completely comfortable. I'm usually hot, of course, but sometimes I'll be in a place where the AC is set too low, and that's not comfortable either. Which is weird, because if it is 60F outside, I'm perfectly comfy wearing a Tshirt and jeans. But if the AC is set that low, it's too cold. Regardless, I basically never truly stop sweating in Summer, which is like 7-8 months here.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:59 PM

709 posts, read 1,138,742 times
Quote:
I like cold weather. Obviously, I live in Texas, not Alaska, ok? So if I consistently lived somewhere where the temps were below zero, I might be singing a different tune! But contrary to what some people believe, it does get cold in north Texas. I have seen below zero temps. Not often but I have seen them. And out in the Panhandle where I grew up, it can get really cold expecially when it's windy and it often is.
Can Northern Texas get as cold as Northern Arizona during the winter ?

Can any city in Northern Texas compete with Flagstaff, Arizona during the winter ?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Can Northern Texas get as cold as Northern Arizona during the winter ?

Can any city in Northern Texas compete with Flagstaff, Arizona during the winter ?
No, I doubt it, though Amarillo, TX can get pretty cold.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,010,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm usually hot, of course, but sometimes I'll be in a place where the AC is set too low, and that's not comfortable either. Which is weird, because if it is 60F outside, I'm perfectly comfy wearing a Tshirt and jeans. But if the AC is set that low, it's too cold.
It's probably the temperature of the air coming out the vents that does it.

My skin DOES NOT like 54 F,
so if that's the vent temp
even though the thermostat is set at 72 F,
I feel a "nasty cold" where ever the breeze touches me.

In winter with a thermostat at 72 F,
most parts of the room will probably be no lower than 65 F,
around eye-level it should be around 72 F,
and the vent temperature will probably be in the 80's or 90's F.

Sometimes with A/C,
I get the sensation that ice cream is being poured onto my skin.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM

709 posts, read 1,138,742 times
Quote:
No, I doubt it, though Amarillo, TX can get pretty cold.
I was looking at Wikipedia and Amarillo, Texas's winters are colder than Melbourne, Australia's winters.

Our resident Aussie friend from Melbourne, SAB would not survive 1 day in Amarillo, Texas during the winter season.

And that is pretty bad when your threshold for cold is so low that you can not even survive a whole winter in Northern Texas.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:58 PM

7,632 posts, read 6,116,834 times
I remember driving from CA to Chicago in late March, stopped for gas in the panhandle, it was cold!

I had a warm jacket but after a week in CA just didn't expect it to be cold in Texas!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,977,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
I was looking at Wikipedia and Amarillo, Texas's winters are colder than Melbourne, Australia's winters.

Our resident Aussie friend from Melbourne, SAB would not survive 1 day in Amarillo, Texas during the winter season.

And that is pretty bad when your threshold for cold is so low that you can not even survive a whole winter in Northern Texas.
SAB has said before that he would be willing to tolerate a slightly colder winter if he got more sun and a hotter summer in return. I believe Amarillo would meet those characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather