Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Subzero with no wind is quite tolerable. When you talk about temps that cold with wind it is much more intolerable.
I'll completely agree with that. Wind is a killer. I can tolerate (and even celebrate and embrace) the cold-cold, but a windy-cold can be excrutiating.

I like it cold, but for me I'm thinking of a range that's more like 20-60 degrees (f).

I have more tolerance for the cold because it's just easier for me to deal with. Grab another blanket, throw on another layer. I hate the heat, especially here in NC where heat comes with humidity. It just wipes me out. But when it's cold, I perk right up. I'm happier, more energetic. There's a spring in my step, a song in my heart. I think I have reverse-SAD. Other people get grumpy when the cold, dark days descend, but for me that happens in June when summer rolls in, then I burst out of my grumpy shell in October when the cold starts to return. My mother is always campaigning for me to move closer to where she lives, and she knows what buttons to push, so in July and August I get a lot of calls from her saying, "Oh, it's only 45 degrees. I'm still in bed under the blankets. Brrrrrr."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Nifty, what state does your Mom live in?

Old 07-12-2009, 05:28 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Hmm, temps like that I'm guessing upper New England, Upper Michigan or maybe Minnesota! My sister has had overnight lows in the 40's lately, I thiink Wordsmith and Granite have, too!

We've been in the low 50's but there have been high 40's north of me near the Wisc./Mich. border.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Nifty, what state does your Mom live in?
My parents live in Western Maryland, but they're up on a mountain at about 3,000 feet elevation. That's not very high, but it's amazing how different their weather is from off-mountain. A sunny afternoon temp could be a pleasant and not-particularly humid 75 in their little aerie, and then a sticky, oppressive 90 or hotter 30 miles down the road. And in the morning they're still waking up to 40 degrees. Their leaves will start to turn at the end of next month, so they generally get about 4 weeks of "summer" and that's about it. (In the winter, I'll get phone calls telling me, "Oh, we have 2 feet of snow on the ground. I'm still in bed under the blankets. Brrrr.")

Old 07-12-2009, 05:47 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Wow, interesting and obviously I didn't figure elevation!!! Valley versus up the mountain, in my case by the lake instead of inland! Weather variations are amazing and fascinating!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:21 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
I love the cold. It gets me up and moving! You can always bundle up to stay warm but I think it's illegal and darn right ugly if one walks around stark naked trying to stay cool

Grew up in the deep south and the temps and humidity made me miserable year round. The sun gave me migraines. The heat there kept me in a foul mood. I think it does that to others too based on the road rage I saw and the bad tempers of most. I'm soooooooooo not a beach gal either. I would rather have a tooth extracted than bake on a beach. How do people do that?? And why do they???

Live in the Pacific NW now and it is heaven on earth I tell ya! Most people don't have ac or central air at all. Unheard of in the south as the heat/humidity kills people. Here though the evening temps are 50ish right now and daytime temps typically are 65-70ish. This past winter it snowed and snowed some more. It was great!!! Put on the socks,boots,gloves and head outdoors.................ah--awesome!! I adore overcast days. I love rainy days. I just hate hot and sunny days. Ugh!! Miserable.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
In Paris for people fashion is very important, but it doesn't go along well with comfort : resulting in people being underdressed in winter and overdressed in summer, some people even wear the same outfits the year round, a wet summer day at 75°F like a wet winter day at 35°F : the French have really no sense of comfort!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
My parents live in Western Maryland, but they're up on a mountain at about 3,000 feet elevation. That's not very high, but it's amazing how different their weather is from off-mountain. A sunny afternoon temp could be a pleasant and not-particularly humid 75 in their little aerie, and then a sticky, oppressive 90 or hotter 30 miles down the road. And in the morning they're still waking up to 40 degrees. Their leaves will start to turn at the end of next month, so they generally get about 4 weeks of "summer" and that's about it. (In the winter, I'll get phone calls telling me, "Oh, we have 2 feet of snow on the ground. I'm still in bed under the blankets. Brrrr.")
I love that area of MD. I was on the road last year and traveled through that corridor on highway 68. The landscape was similar to much of New England where I live. I was impressed

Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Wow, interesting and obviously I didn't figure elevation!!! Valley versus up the mountain, in my case by the lake instead of inland! Weather variations are amazing and fascinating!
Local elevation differences have always interested me with regards to climate differences. I even notice differences here in New England with as little as a 1,000ft elevation difference in terms of tree types.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
I like cold weather. Obviously, I live in Texas, not Alaska, ok? So if I consistently lived somewhere where the temps were below zero, I might be singing a different tune! But contrary to what some people believe, it does get cold in north Texas. I have seen below zero temps. Not often but I have seen them. And out in the Panhandle where I grew up, it can get really cold expecially when it's windy and it often is.

Obviously, too, if I had to spend the night outside sleeping, I'd rather sleep out in 99 degree weather than 32 degrees F. But all things being equal, considering you can go inside and either cool off or warm up, I'd take cold weather any day of the week. Yes, I get cold, but if I can go inside rather shortly and warm up, it doesn't bother me.

Physically, it just feels better to me when it's cold outside, at least relatively cold. Part of it has to do with the humidity I think. I don't like humidity.

So in answer to the op....
no, I don't particularly enjoy the feeling of being cold, but I generally prefer it to being too hot. Also, when I am inside in a heated building in the winter, I generally feel "toasty" and "just right" not hot, not cold. With a/c, it is harder to achieve that equilibrium IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather