Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:14 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,044,670 times

Advertisements

It constantly changes.
It is never the same for very long.
And we do have on occasions some rather extreme conditions here in Jackson, Tn.
Year round.
That makes living in Jackson fun to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
I live in Phoenix.

1) Sunshine
2) More sunshine
3) Don't have to shovel it
4) Don't have to slip and slide and worry about rear-ending the car in front of me as I skid hopelessly out of control in it
5) I actually like the heat. It doesn't really "interfere" with life the way snow and ice do. Sure once it gets in the 110' range it is a tad toasty, but so long as you aren't running a marathon in it, it is livable. At subzero temperatures with huge windchills, you can get frostbite in a very short time. And I was so done with that "so cold your nose sticks together and your legs itch" thing back in Cleveland just waiting for a bus to go to work (I just moved here 2 years ago). If you are otherwise healthy and have water and are covered or in shade, simply being in 110' isn't going to harm you just waiting for a bus the way the cold would. American Indians lived here long long before air conditioning was ever invented. No matter how hot it is during the day, most mornings are absolutely gorgeous in the summer. (I always wondered why there were so many folks out running and biking at like 5 am lol!)
6) Winter is mild. My sister and I met the week before Christmas last year to plan the holiday and I could be out in sandals and a light sweater.
7) The smell of the desert after it rains is awesome.
8) We dont do daylight savings time, so in the height of summer, the sun rises at some absolutely ungodly hour. I am an early morning person.
9) I dont need a winter coat or snow boots or big heavy thick wool sweaters. The heaviest coat I have is a pant jacket-which would qualify more as a "spring" or "fog" or "rain" type coat back east.
10) We can eat Thanksgiving dinner and possibly Christmas and New Years as well outdoors in the afternoon.
11) The low humidity.
12) I can swim year-round with a heated/chilled pool. You can tell native Arizonan's-they are the ones who won't even consider swimming until it tops 100' - and who will break out winter sweaters when it is in the 70s lol!
13) We can have flowers pretty much year round outdoors (if properly irrigated/watered of course in the summer).
14) I can actually get more than about 2 months use out of outdoor furniture.
15) If I really for whatever crazy insane reason decide I ever want to experience the cold and snow again, I can drive a couple hours and be in a ski resort.
16) Since it rains fairly infrequently, it is easy to plan outdoor events and odds are most likely in your favor.
17) Awesome sunrises and sunsets.
18) We really do string Christmas lights on cacti and palm trees. ;-)

And there is probably more....

Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Sigh, I wish. I like that this summer wasn't as hot as usual. It was still humid, but it was very cool and we got a LOT of rain. So I had to water the plants a little less! Yahhhh! I hope this winter will be either mild or very snowy. I like snow, but in general I hate hate hate cold weather. I'm just here becuase of my job and school... so sad how I'm wasting my life...

Old 09-14-2009, 05:50 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
There is nothing to like about Melbourne's climate.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I live in Phoenix.

12) I can swim year-round with a heated/chilled pool. You can tell native Arizonan's-they are the ones who won't even consider swimming until it tops 100' - and who will break out winter sweaters when it is in the 70s lol!
haha I do pretty much the same thing, exept I live in a very cold place, where summer DAYS are colder than Phoenix summer NIGHTS.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
There is nothing to like about Melbourne's climate.
Yes there is, it doesn't get severely-cold winters as we always do.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
SAB, I'll never get used to the fact that you think Melbourne has a "cold" temperature range. Living near water (as I do, too), I will admit the dampness, overcast can get on your nerves!

I just love the variety where I am, the last 4 weeks have been absolutely wonderful and perfect!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
SAB, I'll never get used to the fact that you think Melbourne has a "cold" temperature range. Living near water (as I do, too), I will admit the dampness, overcast can get on your nerves!

I just love the variety where I am, the last 4 weeks have been absolutely wonderful and perfect!
Take away central-heating in homes and it's pretty easy for me to imagine his irritability.
*He may say he doesn't mind it cold indoors,
but he might think differently if he experienced North American homes that are typically "always" 68+ F.

Minus Aug 30th, I've liked the last 4 weeks because of our lack of variety.
Our temps are mostly unaffected; the main changes are daylength, sun angle and humidity (it hasn't rained for 2+ weeks)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-14-2009 at 06:37 AM..

Old 09-14-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
today was cold, stayed around 59F/15C most of the day, not pleasant in the wind. Cloud is certainly no stranger here, and it does my head in, it really does.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Yes there is, it doesn't get severely-cold winters as we always do.
But to me, our winters are certainly cold enough. We also get lots of windchill, which can make outdoors damn unpleasant. I've seen my hands turn purple countless times in winter here. Melbourne is famous for its horrible windchills, which can make a 10C temp fell like sub-zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather