Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Is the summer much different than winter in the usvi?

I LOVE winter in the USVI;
never quite feels "hot," rarely feels "chilly" by morning.
I've only been several islands in the Caribbean but only in winter,
and I'm pretty much never "hot" there; only if I start to feel dehydrated.
(but that's easily and quickly fixed by having a drink )

*Also, the humidity level in the usvi winter feels "perfect" to me; A/C's a waste but a fan is sometimes nice.
just hotter and more humid and less wind.. i like the winter time here temps range from 68 to 80f with a lot of wind>>>>>> summer temps can range from 80f to 95f..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
I actually like humidity as long as the temps don't go above 70F. Then humidity is quite tolerable and even enjoyable. The air feels softer, more refreshing, and easier to breathe. Sometimes the air becomes misty or foggy which adds a certain aura to the atmosphere. Temperatures (50F-60F) which otherwise would feel uncomfortably cool (stabbing with a thousands knives, as CC would put it) feel remarkably mild and refreshing when the humidity is high.

On the other hand, when the temperatures are above 75F or your activity level is above that of someone in a coma, it is torture - you start to sweat all over and sweating does not help at all. You start to itch. Your skin becomes clammy and sticky. Your clothes feel like they are shrinking on you, sticking to your skin, creating a suffocating feeling especially around your collar. You feel like ripping your clothes off like the incredible Hulk. You sweat even more, but this only makes things worse. Even if you find some sort of escape, like an air conditioned building, your clothes are still wet and you will be uncomfortable until you have a chance to change.

Half the time you are in the NYC subway during the summer months, this is how it feels (except in the subway, the air is also still (until the train comes) and often not the most pleasant smelling and dingy). You get drenched waiting for the train, then you are almost shivering on the train because you are all wet and the AC is blowing right on you.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
just hotter and more humid and less wind.. i like the winter time here temps range from 68 to 80f with a lot of wind>>>>>> summer temps can range from 80f to 95f..
Really?

I coulda swore that the first time I was there,
it was no lower than 70-72 F at sunrise,
78 F by 8 am
low 80's by 9 am
and somewhere between 85-90 F for the majority of the afternoon.
Probably didn't drop below 80 F until 7-8 pm.
I wore a white t-shirt,
and the sun on my shoulder through my t-shirt was still almost hot enough to burn me.
(my white shirt in the sun was about as hot as a black shirt in Canadian summer sun would have been)
The land looked "parched" and the sun was crazy-hot considering the temp in the shade.
I believe the pavement would have been scorching-hot from 10 am to at least 5 pm.

* When I went back to the usvi the second time the land looked pretty green
and we had a 80/68 F day and I was surpised at how cool it felt; though about the same dewpoint as our first trip.
(it sucked after I finished my 2-tank dive at 3pm; took 1.5 hours to get fully-warm again )

** You say you prefer days in the 70's F... Do you stay out of the ocean?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
No, don't like high humidity at all. Accompanied with high heat, my energy level bottoms out and I feel all prickly and sticky. Yuk.

I thought that where I live, Perth, had really low humidity but it's not that low. Just right. I was in New Mexico in May and the weather man said it was like 5% there. Now, that's dry! Bit too dry as we found our nasal passages got dry and crusty, lips were always dry, had to use eyedrops often, and we drank water like crazy. Perth never gets like that.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:01 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
I prefer a happy inbetween. Not so dry that it causes nose bleeds, and not so humid that you feel as though you have been dipped in oil!

Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Really?

I coulda swore that the first time I was there,
it was no lower than 70-72 F at sunrise,
78 F by 8 am
low 80's by 9 am
and somewhere between 85-90 F for the majority of the afternoon.
Probably didn't drop below 80 F until 7-8 pm.
I wore a white t-shirt,
and the sun on my shoulder through my t-shirt was still almost hot enough to burn me.
(my white shirt in the sun was about as hot as a black shirt in Canadian summer sun would have been)
The land looked "parched" and the sun was crazy-hot considering the temp in the shade.
I believe the pavement would have been scorching-hot from 10 am to at least 5 pm.

* When I went back to the usvi the second time the land looked pretty green
and we had a 80/68 F day and I was surpised at how cool it felt; though about the same dewpoint as our first trip.
(it sucked after I finished my 2-tank dive at 3pm; took 1.5 hours to get fully-warm again )

** You say you prefer days in the 70's F... Do you stay out of the ocean?
some summers are hoter than others this summer is tuning out to be very dry and humid we need rain soon.. and the temps very depending on where you are on the island shoreling property is cooler than inland .. there's valleys here on st croix that get no wind and are almost unbearible in summer time stifling humidity yuk!!!!>> hill tops get nice breezes.. and the south side of st croix gets more wind than the north side..

as for the ocean i like 80f water temps.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
I don't care if it's humid or dry, as long as it's warm.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
as for the ocean i like 80f water temps.
Ah, so you do go in the water...

As a Canadian who understands what Caribbean weather can be like,
I find a sunny day forecast at 80/68F "quite disappointing" for doing anything in the ocean.
How does that compare with what "locals" think about "swimming weather" in the USVI?

Old 07-26-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Ah, so you do go in the water...

As a Canadian who understands what Caribbean weather can be like,
I find a sunny day forecast at 80/68F "quite disappointing" for doing anything in the ocean.
How does that compare with what "locals" think about "swimming weather" in the USVI?

so what ocean temps do you like.. i grew up here and been swimming here since i was 2 years old i used to live in the ocean

any temp in the ocean thats 75f or below is cold in my book but for general living 75f temps are the best never get hot and sweaty!!! wish it was like that year round

Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
so what ocean temps do you like.. i grew up here and been swimming here since i was 2 years old i used to live in the ocean

any temp in the ocean thats 75f or below is cold in my book but for general living 75f temps are the best never get hot and sweaty!!! wish it was like that year round
I enjoy 85-88 F, but anything at 80+ F is pretty good.
It was 79 F when I was last in the USVI; swimmable but "not nice" after 10 min.
I can "handle" down to about 65 F without a wetsuit, but either briefly or while doing vigourous swimming. (cold, but it doesn't "hurt too bad" )

What's wrong with merely breaking a sweat?
Some of my fondest memories coincidentally happened while my shirt collar was sticking to the side of my neck.
You Caribbeans are funny people....
There are far worse conditions: a chill getting "to your bones", gosebumped skin so tight it hurts, chattering teeth, stinging skin,impairment of fine motor skills... and this doesn't even have to be Winter; any "non-Summer" weather can do this if you happen to be without a coat, especially if it's rainy and windy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather