U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 PM

24,719 posts, read 29,902,039 times
I moved from southwest Ohio to southeast Pennsylvania, and you would think they'd have similar weather, but it's cloudier, rainier, and windier in southeast Pennsylvania. Low pressure systems are much more intense (they give me massive headaches!). Spring seems to arrive a little later, as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 02:28 PM

18,894 posts, read 49,395,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I think the ideal "middle climate" would be a place like Albuquerque, New Mexico. Very sunny, dry and warm for much of the year, not as hot as Phoenix or Vegas, though, with some snow and cold in the winter, but not as intense snowstorms and cold spells as Denver. If only they had more jobs there...
Id have to agree. ABQ's climate is pretty decent actually a nice mild blend of all seasons (except summer and its dryness)....

Old 05-29-2007, 03:46 PM

3,058 posts, read 7,923,268 times
Default Albuquerque, NM / Las Cruces, NM / El Paso, TX

Three cities:

1) Albuquerque (annual temp is about 58 degrees)

2) Las Cruces (annual temp is about 62 degrees)

3) El Paso (annual temp is about 64 degrees)

I live in Albuquerque and its weather is nearly perfect.

Fairly hot in the summer (95-to-100 not uncommon) but the hot season is relatively short compared to boiling places like Phoenix, Vegas, etc., and it doesn't hardly ever get much above 100. Plus there is next-to-no humidity, a fairly constant breeze, and a big-time night cooloff (a 95 degree day often hits a low of 65 at night).

Fairly cold at times in the winter...the average high is 50 degrees (which is warm and golf-like with our sunshine)...but the low average is around 25 degrees with some nights getting chillier into the low 20s or even high teens. We average roughly 10 inches of snow per year, which rarely lasts more than a day. While I wish it was warmer in ABQ in the winter, with the sunshine and warmish daytime temps, our winters are far more pleasant than most places in the U.S.

Springs and falls are long and great, barring the occasional winds.

El Paso - and its northern "suburb" of Las Cruces, NM - have even slightly better weather than ABQ in my opinion. Hotter in the summer where 105 isn't uncommon, but still four seasons and still much more mild summers than places like Vegas or Phoenix. Winters still can see a few inches of snow, but very little, and winters, springs, and falls are to die for - very warm, dry, sunny, and mild.

All three of these cities offer pretty much the perfect weather of what you are describing. If you like slightly cooler summers and cooler winters, ABQ is perfect. If you like slightly hotter summers and warmer winters, EP and LC are perfect.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,007 times
Here in Vancouver, WA (a suberb of Portland OR), we have four seasons. However, the four seasons are pretty lame.
Winter (Thanksgiving thru February) - cloudy 90% of the time with light rain, highs around 50, and lows around 35. Snow is rare and shortlived.
Spring (March thru June) - sunnier and warmer than winter, but not by much. Cherry blossoms appear on trees in Mid March. Spring can be depressing if it stays cloudy too long.
Summer (July - September) - beautiful and sunny every day. Highs are around 80 with low humidity and no wind. There are occasional heat waves that hit 100 degrees once or twice each year.
Fall (October - Thanksgiving) - similar to spring but much shorter. Foliage peaks around Halloween.
Yeah, too many days of rain. It doesn't rain a lot, but the rain takes forever!

The ideal climate for me - Hot sunny summers and cold winters with some snow but not too much. I'm thinking highs around 88 in summer and lows around 22 in winter. It only rains or snows about 90 days per year and mostly in spring. There is a definitive summer dry season Thunderstorms are okay but not too many. The less wind the better. No tornadoes or anything crazy like that. Pretty flowers in spring and good foliage in fall. Does anyone know of any place like that?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:45 AM

7,411 posts, read 7,555,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
What about a middle climate?

We have all considered climates when relocating around the United States. They have a joke in Florida and Arizona. There are two seasons summer and January. They have a joke in Minnesota, North Dakota, and Maine, there are two seasons, winter and July. We all know that the far northern parts of the country are very cold and snowy, and the far southern parts can be very hot humid, dry or both. Many who have moved to the far south and far north find the temperatures too extreme. What about the middle?

My question is who has moved from a middle climate region to another middle climate region and what have been the comparisons? Places that have an annual mean temperature of over 65 F are considered subtropical while places having an annual mean of less than 50 F are considered cool climates. So what about places having a mean annual temp of 50 F to 65 F?
The majority of Americans (or at least the plurality of them) probably live in such climates....

Boston: 51.6F
New York, NY: 54.6F
Washington, DC: 57.5F
Atlanta: 62.2F
St. Louis: 56.3F
Indianapolis: 52.5F
Nashville: 58.9F
Denver: 50.1F
Salt Lake City: 52.0F
Seattle: 52.9F
Portland: 53.5F
San Francisco: 58.3F
San Diego: 64.4F

Old 02-26-2011, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,007 times
I think the average temperature for American cities is 53. Portland is average. However, if you put more emphasis on cities with large populations, the number is around 57 and Portland starts looking colder.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 AM

767 posts, read 883,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellSenf View Post
Here in Vancouver, WA (a suberb of Portland OR), we have four seasons. However, the four seasons are pretty lame.
Winter (Thanksgiving thru February) - cloudy 90% of the time with light rain, highs around 50, and lows around 35. Snow is rare and shortlived.
Spring (March thru June) - sunnier and warmer than winter, but not by much. Cherry blossoms appear on trees in Mid March. Spring can be depressing if it stays cloudy too long.
Summer (July - September) - beautiful and sunny every day. Highs are around 80 with low humidity and no wind. There are occasional heat waves that hit 100 degrees once or twice each year.
Fall (October - Thanksgiving) - similar to spring but much shorter. Foliage peaks around Halloween.
Yeah, too many days of rain. It doesn't rain a lot, but the rain takes forever!

The ideal climate for me - Hot sunny summers and cold winters with some snow but not too much. I'm thinking highs around 88 in summer and lows around 22 in winter. It only rains or snows about 90 days per year and mostly in spring. There is a definitive summer dry season Thunderstorms are okay but not too many. The less wind the better. No tornadoes or anything crazy like that. Pretty flowers in spring and good foliage in fall. Does anyone know of any place like that?
Santa Fe,NM..

I see others mention New Mexico here, probably the most underrated climate in the country IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather