Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:47 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

Wow, that's a gorgeous pic, Tennessee. I've heard that it's beautiful there.

Funny thing this year~over half of our trees still have leaves and still have a LOT of green. Some of our trees are totally bare and have been for a couple week. The wind blew the leaves off before there was much chance for a color change.

I remember coming back from Tulsa a couple years ago. It was Oct. 19th and our trees were totally bare. Last year we came back from St. Pete Oct. 20th and again, our trees had lost every last leaf by that time. We've been well below average so I don't know why we still have leaves, but I won't complain. Maybe there's just a certain amount of growing season? We didn't have lushness until nearly July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default With Some Of The Tree's Out Here "Never"............

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Our temps are cool enough we do see a "bit of a Fall" here in north Texas, but it's my understanding that generally nighttime temps have to fall at least to the 40's F in order to trigger the leaves to change color. For us, that's usually November and often late in November before we see our "peak" Fall color.

That said, we don't see a great deal of really spectacular color here. Some bits and pieces here and there, but to really drool over Fall foliage, which I am prone to do, I have to look at photos!!

Do you get Fall color in your area? If so, when would you say the peak time for it in your area?
With some of the tree's out here in Vallejo California "it's" never and with
other tree's it's late November or Late December , and the temperture
gets down into the 20's at night , but rises to the Mid 50's during the winter month because it's that Mediterranean Climate You Know....

Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Wow, that's a gorgeous pic, Tennessee. I've heard that it's beautiful there.

Funny thing this year~over half of our trees still have leaves and still have a LOT of green. Some of our trees are totally bare and have been for a couple week. The wind blew the leaves off before there was much chance for a color change.

I remember coming back from Tulsa a couple years ago. It was Oct. 19th and our trees were totally bare. Last year we came back from St. Pete Oct. 20th and again, our trees had lost every last leaf by that time. We've been well below average so I don't know why we still have leaves, but I won't complain. Maybe there's just a certain amount of growing season? We didn't have lushness until nearly July.
lol... yeah its so strange from year to year. Well, since we had our first frost, last Sunday, the trees changed rapidly.

About that above pic I posted... Thank you! Unfortunately all of the trees in the area are not that nice. Many have just browned and shrivled up. Its just in spots where it looks that nice. Those were the nicest I had seen. Hopefully when I go back on that highway next Saturday, they will still be nice through there.

I am going to post more later tonight or maybe tomorrow of some we took this evening... its in a colder part of the county at the base of a 4500 ft. mountain in a river valley... many of the leaves have simply browned, but its still some nice scenery.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:30 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Here in Vancouver, BC, I think we are at or a bit past peak fall colour for the trees that do shed their leaves (which most of our native vegetation doesn't here). We haven't had a frost yet but I expect one any time in the next couple of weeks. However the winter rains have started.....

Old 10-25-2009, 11:54 PM

OK... got the pics I took today resized and uploaded.

This was in my back lawn... this tree is always stunning... not as great this year...

This is south of my house... about 5-10 miles... this is at the base of the mountain in a river valley... one of the coolest areas in the immediate area... as you can see trees are further along here....

this was my great grandparents house until 1989 when my great grandmother passed away... great grandfather had passed in 1987. A cousin still lives here though....

getting back into downtown here...

I26 in E TN last Sunday...

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 10-26-2009 at 12:10 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 04:39 PM

122 posts, read 412,497 times
right after September, First Week of October (North of Toronto).

Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 PM

We are at peak NOW!

Snapped these today from my porch...

Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Nice pics, Tennessee storm. Still just beginning to see some Fall color here. The tree in my backyard is looking pretty nice, but the one in my front yard is yet to change at all. Probably will in about 3-4 weeks.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:17 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Kay, I'll trade you autumns. I'm surprised that we still have leaves on several trees and our bushes are still colorful. That's unusual.

Tennessee, you live in such a beautiful area. I like your cat, too.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Awesome pictures! I'd say we're past peak in some areas! We still have some trees that look great, my neighbors huge maple is beautiful.

I took a ride today and driving north many of the trees have lost their leaves, a sign of things to come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather