Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times

Advertisements

In northeast Ohio the peak color time is usualy the second or third week of October.
It is beautifull. The wife and I like to get away from town and take a drive and look at all the pretty scenery and foilage. Somtimes we collect leaves of blood red, gold, yellow, orangish colors. We string them together with needle and thread and hang them around the house. Sometimes they last untill Thanksgiving before they turn brown and get crumbly. Makes for a once year pretty decorations.
Problem is, we know what isn't far behind.
Real winter isn't far away.
But springtime in northeast Ohio is also beautiful. It's worth waiting for.
I'm glad we have four seasons.
The three good ones make up for the winter blahs. I love it here. I've lived here all my life. Almost 63 years.
Even winter provides great scenery. Especialy when a dry, light, snow falls in real cold temps and then the moon shines on it and makes its look like diamonds sparkling. I just don't like the cold that goes with it.
A fresh fallen, unmarked snow landscape is very pretty. But eventualy you have to go outside and clear the sidewalks, driveways, and the city comes by and plows the roads and lays salt. Then its kinda ugly untill the next fresh unmarked snow.
But I would never leave here. I like the variety. Each season of the year has it's own special scenic beauty.
I probably won't be saying as much good things about the winter scenery when I'm out clearing snow this winter. I might just be using expletives. LOL
But then I know spring will eventually arrive and I can ride my motorcycle, plant flowers, and garden, and get to watch the Indians lose a bunch more baseball games. Go Tribe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
surprisingly, a weatherman said changing of colors has little to do with frost or cooler weather.

He said ( this morning) it has mostly to do with the daylight hours getting shorter and trees reacting to it.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
late September through early October in my area of NH.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
surprisingly, a weatherman said changing of colors has little to do with frost or cooler weather.

He said ( this morning) it has mostly to do with the daylight hours getting shorter and trees reacting to it.
hmmm...I have always heard that temps are involved. Looks like I'll have to google it!

Ok, I have "googled" it. The weatherman is right. According to my googling research, the primary reason the leaves start to change is the decreased daylight causes less chlorophyll to be formed in the leaves which give them their green color. Weather changes (cooler) affects them by influence how much and how vivid the colors will be apparently. At least, this is what I understood from a quick review of different websites.

Last edited by kaykay; 09-16-2009 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: googling complete

Old 09-16-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
In northeast Ohio the peak color time is usualy the second or third week of October.
It is beautifull. The wife and I like to get away from town and take a drive and look at all the pretty scenery and foilage. Somtimes we collect leaves of blood red, gold, yellow, orangish colors. We string them together with needle and thread and hang them around the house. Sometimes they last untill Thanksgiving before they turn brown and get crumbly. Makes for a once year pretty decorations.
Problem is, we know what isn't far behind.
Real winter isn't far away.
But springtime in northeast Ohio is also beautiful. It's worth waiting for.
I'm glad we have four seasons.
The three good ones make up for the winter blahs. I love it here. I've lived here all my life. Almost 63 years.
Even winter provides great scenery. Especialy when a dry, light, snow falls in real cold temps and then the moon shines on it and makes its look like diamonds sparkling. I just don't like the cold that goes with it.
A fresh fallen, unmarked snow landscape is very pretty. But eventualy you have to go outside and clear the sidewalks, driveways, and the city comes by and plows the roads and lays salt. Then its kinda ugly untill the next fresh unmarked snow.
But I would never leave here. I like the variety. Each season of the year has it's own special scenic beauty.
I probably won't be saying as much good things about the winter scenery when I'm out clearing snow this winter. I might just be using expletives. LOL
But then I know spring will eventually arrive and I can ride my motorcycle, plant flowers, and garden, and get to watch the Indians lose a bunch more baseball games. Go Tribe.
Very picturesque post! How often do you get snow where you are?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
hmmm...I have always heard that temps are involved. Looks like I'll have to google it!

Ok, I have "googled" it. The weatherman is right. According to my googling research, the primary reason the leaves start to change is the decreased daylight causes less chlorophyll to be formed in the leaves which give them their green color. Weather changes (cooler) affects them by influence how much and how vivid the colors will be apparently. At least, this is what I understood from a quick review of different websites.
Interesting. I did a search and it turns out that day length and sunlight intensity are main factors. I still don't get it because leaf fall tends to start earlier in the mountains than valleys even at the same latitude.

PS - here is a good link:
Why Trees Turn Color in Autumn - eXtension News
Quote:
What is it that triggers this coloring to take place in certain tree species? Many think it may be initiated by a touch from Jack Frost, but in reality, the colors we enjoy only can be witnessed only on living, senescing trees. If Jack Frost arrives too early in the fall, there will be no fall colors, just dull browns because of the “killing frost.â€
“What triggers these events is a specific combination of shorter days and cooler temperatures in autumn in a specific locale that is sensed by plant receptors, which results in hormone production,†Smith says. “This, in turn, initiates leaf senescence. This specificity to a narrow climatic zone is important for us to understand because it is generally effective within 130 miles north or south of the origin. For example, this is why a red maple that looks great in Ames, Iowa, is mediocre in Fargo. Or, at worst, has the leaves nipped by a hard frost before it has a chance to senesce sufficiently.â€
So frost is not good for great fall color.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Interesting. I did a search and it turns out that day length and sunlight intensity are main factors. I still don't get it because leaf fall tends to start earlier in the mountains than valleys even at the same latitude.
Yeah, that kind of thing is puzzling to me too. Again, I have heard that nighttime temps have to hit the 40's before you will have much color change.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Kay, I'm glad you confirmed what Marmac said. I had heard that, too and it seemed like a good explanation. It's supposed to be the same way with the birds that migrate. It's not so much the cold as the shorter daylight hours. Still, I don't think a lot of birds would survive our winters.

For us, peak season can start the third or fourth week of Sept. By about the 20th of Oct., our trees are bare.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Someone should enclose a tree in a heated greenhouse (so that temps never fall below 50F) and see if it changes color.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:51 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post

PS - here is a good link:
Why Trees Turn Color in Autumn - eXtension News

So frost is not good for great fall color.
It's both the amount of sunlight and the cool temps, it needs to get into 30's at night, and sunny days. It starts earlier in the mountains because it gets colder up there sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather