U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,499,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Bare trees mean I am done raking leaves for the year! yee haw!
Bare trees mean I can start raking leaves.

I don't care to rake and re-rake as more leaves fall.

We got some huge cottonwoods in our yard and they tend to hang onto their leaves longer than the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM

2,789 posts, read 2,921,309 times
The only benefit of bare trees is that you can see farther from your house (and on scenic drives). No obstructions.

I wish we had more evergreen pines and spruces where I live. They even smell better.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,755,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Bare trees mean I can start raking leaves.

I don't care to rake and re-rake as more leaves fall.

We got some huge cottonwoods in our yard and they tend to hang onto their leaves longer than the rest.
I don't know what a cottonwood looks like??

Gonna go google again.....

Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 AM

26,167 posts, read 8,060,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I've always been weird and different, I try not to be season or weather driven! There are serious issues to worry or stress over, weather isn't one of them! People crack me up, especially when they live where their temps vary 40 degrees (highs/lows), never see 30F and they whine about winter.

I don't mind the bare trees, or the fact winter is coming. I like driving around after all the leaves fall, I can see things I normally wouldn't see!
This is what I love, OH I didn't know there was a house up there!! Or, wow, now I can see that house or building!! Its kinda cool for a while. the only neighbor I will see better is pretty far away so that part is OK!!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,646,458 times
Thumbs up I thought this would be an interesting thread topic, and so far it has been.

Usually bare trees are associated with "ugliness" or "barreness"
so I figured those who like bare trees might have an interesting story to tell.

Myself, I realized that while I like the look of "full green"
I sometimes find all-but-the-lightest shade irritating below 65 F.

Visually,
I think I prefer the mid-late spring look best; when leaves are less than 1/2 their full size.
Not only does it let more sunlight through the canopy, (which usually makes what gardeners call "dappled" shade)
but young leaves are usually a lighter, brighter green.

Another positive to bare trees besides letting in more sunlight
is you also get more moonlight and a better view of the stars.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:00 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,482,163 times
Yes definitely . Autumn when leaves turn brown and fall, bare and dead in winter then the bloom during spring which feels so right and makes for interesting landscapes. I would get so bored if trees stayed evergreen all year around.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:02 PM
AB

5,060 posts, read 3,125,236 times
Trees are not supposed to be dead-looking skeletons.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 PM

6,046 posts, read 6,295,619 times
CC, I can see your point about bare trees making it feel warmer. But days like you describe are a rarity. The majority of the time in Northern climates, it's cold if the trees are bare. Once you get consistent warmth, the trees won't be bare anymore. I prefer trees with leaves because they're not dead and because the leaves are a sign of consistent warmth outside.

I wouldn't mind living somewhere where the trees are bare for a short amount of time. I just didn't like living in New England where the trees went bare in November and didn't bloom until late April/early May. I haven't lived through a winter in Las Cruces yet, but from what I've heard the trees go bare in mid December and bloom in early March. Not too bad, but I guess I will have to wait and see if that's true.

*I visited in late December 2008 and the trees were bare

Old 09-21-2009, 06:34 PM

11,260 posts, read 8,263,901 times
When the leaves are down in winter/early spring, my dog can see the squirrel in the tree when she chases it away from our bird feeders. Its a bold little guy and will climb down to make a run for it even with her waiting below. But she can see it coming and can get a better chance at catching him. Some day she'll catch him, maybe....

Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 PM
bjh

20,533 posts, read 12,438,321 times
It never occured to me to freaked out or annoyed or depressed by leafless trees. The things you learn on cd...

But then i live in the southern US where even in the dead of winter, pines (obviously) are joined by magnolias and live oaks in being green all year. Perhaps that modifies the degree of bare tree limbs we see.

Anyway I love, love cool or cold weather. Can't get enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather