U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 PM

48,913 posts, read 45,129,582 times
i like to paint bare trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:07 AM

8,761 posts, read 6,707,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
That is a beautiful natural picture of winter.

However, after a few weeks the beauty of winter seems to wear off on meit just feels cold, dark, and dead.

I think I could deal with an image like this (Ft. Lauderdale - in February)a lot longer before it would become depressing to me (lol).

When I see that picture I think "heat" and it immediately turns me off to it. (Not the picture itself, which is quite good!) I think this may be one reason I'm not a fan of palm trees: I associate them with a hot climate. Another reason I prefer cloudy days to sunny ones is due to my very sensitive eyes. I also prefer taking pictures on cloudy days, for the most part. Clouds are nature's soft box.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:33 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
When I see that picture I think "heat" and it immediately turns me off to it. (Not the picture itself, which is quite good!) I think this may be one reason I'm not a fan of palm trees: I associate them with a hot climate. Another reason I prefer cloudy days to sunny ones is due to my very sensitive eyes. I also prefer taking pictures on cloudy days, for the most part. Clouds are nature's soft box.
You sound like you'd love living in Scotland or Norway.

The only time I don't like sun is the rare occaision when I'm already sunburnt,
when I'd like to clean glass, or the rare chance there's a little too much glare in a particular direction.
I love wearing polarized-sunglasses though, so glare is almost a non-issue usually.
(which is why I can enjoy bare trees on sunny days )

Old 09-26-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You sound like you'd love living in Scotland or Norway.
I've actually considered both of those. But like I said, I do prefer clear skies at night. I imagine there aren't many (any?) places in the world where days are almost always cloudy and nights are usually clear.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I've actually considered both of those. But like I said, I do prefer clear skies at night.
I imagine there aren't many (any?) places in the world where days are almost always cloudy and nights are usually clear.

Funny you should mention that...
(No, but Toronto might be close. )

We get a lot of "Lake Effect" cloud in Toronto.
Since Toronto is about 100 miles east of Lake Huron and winds are typically westerly,
mornings are often the sunniest time of day from mid-Autumn through Winter, (can be just a few minutes of sun )
tending to cloud over to "full overcast" between 9am to 12 pm,
but the the thick clouds often break up again shortly after sunset,
often giving us partly-cloudy night skies by 9pm or 10 pm.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Time to move!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Time to move!
Do you like the sound of Toronto?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:07 AM

363 posts, read 498,070 times
Palm trees are cool to see on vacation, but I have no desire for them otherwise. Give me the deciduous and confiers of the north.

Took this pic at the park in winter-time....wouldnt be the same without bare trees!

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/m/MichiganSnowLvr/1000.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 PM

648 posts, read 1,816,903 times
that's a beautiful picture mitch! love love love looking at it i miss views like that sooo much.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
Palm trees are cool to see on vacation, but I have no desire for them otherwise. Give me the deciduous and confiers of the north.

Took this pic at the park in winter-time....wouldnt be the same without bare trees!
That picture is kind of nice,
but images like that remind me of cold sooooo fierce
it feels like it's ripping the skin right off my face
(after 20+ minutes outdoors of course )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather