U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM

364 posts, read 742,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That picture is kind of nice,
but images like that remind me of cold sooooo fierce
it feels like it's ripping the skin right off my face
(after 20+ minutes outdoors of course )
the park is close to my house, and it may sound weird to some, but I love walking there during a snowstorm. The wind does cut (in fact, its right by the Detroit River, so that usually makes it windier)...but its just so beautiful, that I truly enjoy it.

THIS pic is during one of those fierce-feeling days
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/m/MichiganSnowLvr/1406.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 04:05 PM

756 posts, read 1,636,461 times
I have about 40 trees in the front lawn (well not really much green Lawn) and 30 more around the perimeter of the back lawn. There are only 3 pines in the front and about 5 or 6 in the back. The thing is, I never notice them being bare. I guess because there are so many pine elsewhere in the background.

I like the bareness though as they start to bloom. The chestnuts I have bloom later than anyother and they do stand out stark but, again beautiful.

"I think that I will never see a poem as lovely as a tree". - in any season.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 1,320 times
All you people that fear the cold weather amuse me. Try living in a climate where it's so hot that you could fry an egg on the sidewalk and you'd be happy for cooler weather. I guess to each their own, and the grass is also greener on the other side of the hill.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:54 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,181,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessonincontrast View Post
All you people that fear the cold weather amuse me. Try living in a climate where it's so hot that you could fry an egg on the sidewalk and you'd be happy for cooler weather. I guess to each their own, and the grass is also greener on the other side of the hill.
We actually tried to fry an egg on the dumpster one day at work, but it wasn't quite hot enough. Had we tried it in August of 2007 it might have worked. Granted, no one would have eaten it (I hope)

Old 09-27-2009, 04:55 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,181,977 times
Quote:
Do you like the sound of Toronto?
I'm not sure, but I haven't really looked into it yet. Are you looking to trade locations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
Palm trees are cool to see on vacation, but I have no desire for them otherwise. Give me the deciduous and confiers of the north.

Took this pic at the park in winter-time....wouldnt be the same without bare trees!
That's a lovely picture.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,225,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessonincontrast View Post
I have a nerve disorder that makes me hyper-sensitive to cool/cold weather.
I also have above-average heat tolerance.

As such, I always find 94 F (34 C) more pleasant than 44 F. (7 C)
Even the perfect room-temperature for me has "no coolness", only varying degrees of "warmth."
(75-84 F is my ideal room-temp... I know that sounds a little crazy to many people. )

For the average person without extra cold sensitivity or heat tolerance,
I understand that your kind of climate might be as annoying as mine though.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-27-2009 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm not sure, but I haven't really looked into it yet. Are you looking to trade locations?
I'd love to... I love Southern climates and culture.
But the U.S. immigration isn't interested in people with my qualifications.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 PM

9,302 posts, read 10,270,931 times
Quote:
I'd love to... I love Southern climates and culture.
But the U.S. immigration isn't interested in people with my qualifications.
I'm with you there....I'd love to move somewhere with a warmer climate.. too bad immigration issues always get in the way. We just need to win the lottery I guess and qualifications become a non-issue.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'm with you there....I'd love to move somewhere with a warmer climate.. too bad immigration issues always get in the way. We just need to win the lottery I guess and qualifications become a non-issue.
You mean a money-lottery right?

The "Diversity Visa" (aka. "Green Card Lottery")?
Canadians are not eligible for that anymore;
too many Canadians already live in the U.S.A. to promote further "diversity."
(If I remember correctly, you're a fellow heat-loving Canuck in Vancouver... )

Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 4,877,728 times
It's not easy to immigrate into the US legally (easier to do it illegally, actually). But it can be done. I know a couple of, um, naturalized Canadian-Americans.

Worst comes to worse, you can try to marry an American on craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or