U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:40 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,437,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
It's not easy to immigrate into the US legally (easier to do it illegally, actually). But it can be done. I know a couple of, um, naturalized Canadian-Americans.

Worst comes to worse, you can try to marry an American on craigslist
Most categories require a bachelor of arts, or higher degree.

Marrying an American is probably the only practical way for me into the U.S.A. legally.
Craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 PM

2,790 posts, read 4,936,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Most categories require a bachelor of arts, or higher degree.

Marrying an American is probably the only practical way for me into the U.S.A. legally.
Craigslist?
If you don't have a college degree, enrolling in a college in the states would be another good "way in". Not guaranteed, of course, but you can develop contacts, look for jobs/internships etc. Only downside is its probably more expensive than in Canada (I'm assuming).

Craigslist.org is a very popular classifieds site where you can offer or look for anything from jobs to real estate to personals. Occasionally, "marriage of convenience" offers/requests get into the personals section .
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
If you don't have a college degree, enrolling in a college in the states would be another good "way in". Not guaranteed, of course, but you can develop contacts, look for jobs/internships etc. Only downside is its probably more expensive than in Canada (I'm assuming).

Craigslist.org is a very popular classifieds site where you can offer or look for anything from jobs to real estate to personals. Occasionally, "marriage of convenience" offers/requests get into the personals section .
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums
I've heard of that.
Besides no guarantee of getting "in", lately there's no gaurantee of getting field-related work too.
So technically it would work, but very impractical.
Mostly because doing 2+ years of fulltime school would eat up a lot of time where I'd rather be working.

Funny, maybe I'll check that out sometime.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 AM

9,415 posts, read 10,493,645 times
Quote:
It's not easy to immigrate into the US legally (easier to do it illegally, actually). But it can be done. I know a couple of, um, naturalized Canadian-Americans.

Worst comes to worse, you can try to marry an American on craigslist
Funny, you should mention that... I was considering going with an American lady who lived in Miami, FL at the time quite a few years back... I even went down there and spent some time with her... but unfortunately things never materialized due to various complications... so I ended up staying in Canada

Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 PM
bjh

23,858 posts, read 22,193,909 times
Deciduous trees have to step through the stages of the seasons. They're beautiful each time in their own way. I'd rather live with seasons than in a tropical climate where everything looks the same all year 'round.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:40 PM

Thumbs up Horray, defoliation is 95% complete

Under brilliantly-blue skies,
I'm really appreciating seeing more sunlight, and more of the horizon.

If it can't be warm,
I'd rather be able to get more consistant "greenhouse-effect" in my car,
or stay more consistantly sun-warmed even going for a walk.

Considering it's November, today was nice,
at 7 C (45 F) with calm winds and sun,
this felt equivalent to 13-14 C (56-58 F) as far as mood goes.
Not having much shade means the sun was more consistantly making the weather feel good.

*Plus I think I've developed a visual fondness for mostly-unobstructed blue horizon.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 PM

9,415 posts, read 10,493,645 times
The deciduous trees are almost bare here despite the fact that we haven't even had a frost here yet which is kind of strange....of course there are still lots of greenery around due to the coniferous and broadleaved evergreens around here.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The deciduous trees are almost bare here despite the fact that we haven't even had a frost here yet which is kind of strange....of course there are still lots of greenery around due to the coniferous and broadleaved evergreens around here.
Did you have strong winds and/or heavy rain?
That might do it, if the leaves have already turned colours.

Around Toronto, it seems that once you get a low below 4 C, colour change excelerates.
If you get frost, colour change is rapid, but also accompanied by leaf drop.
My area also hasn't seen much in the way of frost; -1 C or maybe -2 C at most, briefly in the early morning hours.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:51 PM

15,343 posts, read 28,593,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I never knew I did until today.
It made me realise how and why I prefer sunny days in the 60's F before late-Spring.
I know I've been boasting about my northern "heat island" climate, but perhaps it has bit me in the butt.

-we still have 100% of our leaves
-10% colour change
-A maximum sun angle of about 47 degrees (near the Autumn equinox at the 43rd latitude)
-A lot of very-long shadows chilling me because of tall, fully-foliated trees.

Usually when we are this warm in Spring, it's late-April to mid-May.
That's about halfway between the Spring and Summer equinox,
so we probably have a maximum sun angle of 55+ degrees by late April.
I love it when the leaves are gone. That is when you can see the hawks, owls and occasionally an eagle sitting in them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-17-2009, 03:57 PM

11,234 posts, read 15,999,913 times
Most trees are almost bare, I want to buy a Palm tree to keep my sanity lol, I can't take 4.5 months of brown. We didn't have our first frost or freeze yet however we did have a frost advisory like last week and the grass was frosty about a mile northwest of us, talk about a close call lol. There's no "frosting temperatures" in the forecast and I hope it stays that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or