U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2009, 05:19 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,434,529 times

Advertisements

I never knew I did until today.
It made me realise how and why I prefer sunny days in the 60's F before late-Spring.
I know I've been boasting about my northern "heat island" climate, but perhaps it has bit me in the butt.

-we still have 100% of our leaves
-10% colour change
-A maximum sun angle of about 47 degrees (near the Autumn equinox at the 43rd latitude)
-A lot of very-long shadows chilling me because of tall, fully-foliated trees.

Usually when we are this warm in Spring, it's late-April to mid-May.
That's about halfway between the Spring and Summer equinox,
so we probably have a maximum sun angle of 55+ degrees by late April.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-20-2009 at 05:27 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 05:33 PM

7,825 posts, read 9,529,875 times
Bare trees mentally bother me, this April we had a heat wave into the mid/upper-90's while the trees were still bare and although I really loved the heat the dead trees still got to me fro some reason, it was a weird time. Less than a week later the trees exploded with green and flowers, I think that early heat had a lot to do with it because although the trees "get green" in April it happened so rapidly (from bare to green in like 3 days).

Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM
AB

5,060 posts, read 3,048,885 times
NO!!! It's disgusting, it gives the look of an area devasted by a nuclear holocaust, and is just depressing, especially mixed with the constant overcast bloody skies we get in winter

But then again, Melbourne's constant cloud in winter is a nuclear holocaust

Old 09-21-2009, 07:27 AM

1,926 posts, read 3,191,225 times
I actually enjoy the cloudy, cold and overcast days of November with bare trees. Something about it really appeals to me. I know, weird.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,277,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I actually enjoy the cloudy, cold and overcast days of November with bare trees. Something about it really appeals to me. I know, weird.

I associate bare trees with death.

The seasons remind me of the human life cycle.

As with the seasons, I don't mind being in autumn but that means winter is ahead.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,712,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post

I guess I am weird, too!

I love trees in all stages of their lives, including completely bare.

There is something very powerful about knowing in a few months those trees will burst open with new green growth!

My property is surrounded by trees and there is something very comforting about being inside a warm house in the middle of winter looking out at the bare winter trees.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 AM

7,789 posts, read 6,357,459 times
I've always been weird and different, I try not to be season or weather driven! There are serious issues to worry or stress over, weather isn't one of them! People crack me up, especially when they live where their temps vary 40 degrees (highs/lows), never see 30F and they whine about winter.

I don't mind the bare trees, or the fact winter is coming. I like driving around after all the leaves fall, I can see things I normally wouldn't see!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,277,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I guess I am weird, too!

I love trees in all stages of their lives, including completely bare.

There is something very powerful about knowing in a few months those trees will burst open with new green growth!

My property is surrounded by trees and there is something very comforting about being inside a warm house in the middle of winter looking out at the bare winter trees.
--"in a few months those trees will burst open with new green growth"--

I wish it was only --a few months-- that trees are bare here.

They are bare for the majority of the year ( normally from mid October til at least mid May)

5 months leaves,7 months bare

Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,712,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--"in a few months those trees will burst open with new green growth"--

I wish it was only --a few months-- that trees are bare here.

They are bare for the majority of the year ( normally from mid October til at least mid May)

5 months leaves,7 months bare
Here in CT our trees are bare about 5 months! More than just a few months, I guess. I never counted the months before!

Have you thought about moving south...sounds like you don't like winter?

Old 09-21-2009, 09:05 AM

756 posts, read 1,162,163 times
Bare trees mean I am done raking leaves for the year! yee haw!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather