Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 PM

152 posts, read 226,644 times

Advertisements

How far south do citrus trees grow and fruit in NZ?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth View Post
I've seen all of these in Oak Bay once of the mildest places in Canada.
All of those palms? Really? Even Juania australis?? This is an incredibly rare palm... Do you have any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Thanks for the pics. I finally get to see fruiting citrus in the UK. The orange has the lumpy look of an Ugli fruit (I think). One of them seems to have a plaque with it, which could indicate it's significance. Still not what I would call a suitable climate, but the fact that they can survive, does say something about the climate in those particular areas.

The palms are the usual suspects, but the L chinensis and P torallyii, are the first ones I've heard of surviving any length of time in the UK. Do you need to protect them?. I can't get J australis to grow here, as the dry conditions in summer seem to dry them out, and I tend to let palms fend for them selves.
Yep most of the palms I grow can't be grown in many parts of the UK. Phoenix canariensis & Washingtonia robusta for example only survive in the very mildest parts. I don't protect any of them, the only ones I used to protect were the more tender ones which are now dead... My Juania was planted about 8 years ago as a 2ft tall plant & it's now getting on for 9ft tall. It is planted in a south east facing corner, so it only gets sun in the morning as they are reputed not to like high temperatures, so I thought a spot out of the afternoon sun would do it better, as we can get hot & sunny weather in the summer, if not as often as I'd like! I do have to water it like mad during the summer though

Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth serious View Post
How far south do citrus trees grow and fruit in NZ?
I can't recall them south of Timaru (about 2 hr south of Christchurch)at 44.30 S, although they probably grow in sheltered pockets. On the West Coast, I have seen them at at Jackson Bay (44 S), which is about as far south as the road goes on that side

Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Have you seen the city hall theres a 30 foot mexican fan palm growing without winter protection, in Scilly the summers arent warm enough and its too wet to grow, and I do recall seeing a Date Palm but we definetly could grow them, just to let you know in Oak Bay we are in Hardiness zone 9b which is the same as Las Vegas and Palm Springs, Merry Island has gone an entire year without a freezing temerature and the Phylis Street station only receives 12cm of snow annually. Whats the snow data for Scilly also it record low is -11 celsius. Im sure we could support other palms.
Do you mean the palm in the attached picture infront of the City Hall in Victoria? That is a Trachycarpus fortunei, not a Washingtonia...

And Washingtonia do grow in Scilly, also attached is a photo of a 50ft Washingtonia robusta on Tresco, photographed this year... Tresco also has many mature Phoenix canariensis over 100 years old, they also had mature & fruiting Rhopalostylis sapida & Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, but these were killed during the freak winter of 1987 when it dropped to -7C there. Some of the Rhopalostylis self sown seedlings did survive however & are now starting to trunk again...

There are quite a few Washingtonia robusta growing in milder parts of the UK, some around 20ft or so tall, so they don't need summer heat to grow well...
Attached Thumbnails
Most Northern Subtropical climate in the world?-victoriapalm.png   Most Northern Subtropical climate in the world?-trescowashie.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Do you mean the palm in the attached picture infront of the City Hall in Victoria? That is a Trachycarpus fortunei, not a Washingtonia...

And Washingtonia do grow in Scilly, also attached is a photo of a 50ft Washingtonia robusta on Tresco, photographed this year... Tresco also has many mature Phoenix canariensis over 100 years old, they also had mature & fruiting Rhopalostylis sapida & Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, but these were killed during the freak winter of 1987 when it dropped to -7C there. Some of the Rhopalostylis self sown seedlings did survive however & are now starting to trunk again...

There are quite a few Washingtonia robusta growing in milder parts of the UK, some around 20ft or so tall, so they don't need summer heat to grow well...

Whenever I see a pic of tender vegetation sitting hard right up against a building like that (first pic) I suspect heat from that building, urban heat island if you will, has a lot to do with the survival. I have a weather sensor in my back patio in a very dense rowhouse urban neighborhood, and for three years now have never seen the temp go below 17f. That is a quite a diff from the National Weather Service Airport lowest temp in those last three years which was 8f in January 2011 (one of the coldest winters on the east coast in years).

Imo that really doesn't represent the true vegetation potential of an area when it is situated that close to a building like that.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:22 PM

129 posts, read 243,701 times
No there is a garden out back where there is one, but I beleive more people are planting Mexican Fan palms.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM

Yes buildings can provide extra heat for more tender plants to be able to survive, but saying the palm in that photo, Trachycarpus fortunei, is very hardy & grows even in Scotland.

Airports are notorious frosts traps, the large open areas of flat ground cause much lower temperatures than surrounding areas, it's the same in the UK where many Met Office weather stations are located at airports, the temperatures in nearby towns are much warmer, so airports don't really give a true representation of an areas temperatures...

Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
No there is a garden out back where there is one, but I beleive more people are planting Mexican Fan palms.
But your post said originally it was infront of City Hall & was 30ft tall??

Do you have any photos of this Washingtonia then? Or of any that are planted elsewhere?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:35 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Yes buildings can provide extra heat for more tender plants to be able to survive, but saying the palm in that photo, Trachycarpus fortunei, is very hardy & grows even in Scotland.

Airports are notorious frosts traps, the large open areas of flat ground cause much lower temperatures than surrounding areas, it's the same in the UK where many Met Office weather stations are located at airports, the temperatures in nearby towns are much warmer, so airports don't really give a true representation of an areas temperatures...
Many airports are also located in frost hollows too (i.e Exeter, Bournemouth, Southampton, and to a lesser extent, Manchester).

Old 11-03-2012, 12:44 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
But your post said originally it was infront of City Hall & was 30ft tall??

Do you have any photos of this Washingtonia then? Or of any that are planted elsewhere?
He/she doesn't have any photos because there are no mature washingtonias in Victoria...

I have been to the city hall there and there are just trachycarpus as you said. Do a google search for palm trees in Victoria/Oak Bay and virtually all of them will be trachycarpus you will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather