Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

This thread at another weather forum compiled a list of the wettest and driest places for various latitude ranges on earth.

Scroll up slightly to get the figure for wettness.

Viewing a thread - The Latitude Rainfall Challenge (http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38270&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1# bottom - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This thread at another weather forum compiled a list of the wettest and driest places for various latitude ranges on earth.

Scroll up slightly to get the figure for wettness.

Viewing a thread - The Latitude Rainfall Challenge (http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38270&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1# bottom - broken link)
So Mawsynram doesn't have the record then? Great name for a wettest place on Earth record holder, "Lloro", "it cried" I don't know if any of you saw the "Going to Extremes" TV series where the presenter went to the wettest/driest/coldest/hottest places on Earth, though he went to Mawsynram in the wet season.

That Vancouver Island 6655mm one looks as unbelievable as Milford Sound for a place at sea level, though I don't doubt it's true.

Maybe I should join that site, there seem to be a lot of good discussions going on there.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
So Mawsynram doesn't have the record then? Great name for a wettest place on Earth record holder, "Lloro", "it cried" I don't know if any of you saw the "Going to Extremes" TV series where the presenter went to the wettest/driest/coldest/hottest places on Earth, though he went to Mawsynram in the wet season.

That Vancouver Island 6655mm one looks as unbelievable as Milford Sound for a place at sea level, though I don't doubt it's true.

Maybe I should join that site, there seem to be a lot of good discussions going on there.
Mawsynram feels far wetter because its rainfall is concentrated in a monsoon season (roughly 3 months) while Lloro is far more equiable. The monthly rain totals must be horrific. I think the locals have lots of hardship during the rainy season, much more than Lloro.

The Vancouver Island precipitation is high, but still much lower than New Zealand. I would have expected higher considering the topography. Perhaps New Zealand's is higher because the mountains rise more directly from the sea? The other difference is the west coast has a distinct dry season while it seems New Zealand has no dry season. Driest month:

Milford Sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is above 400 mm! And it's the site isn't the wettest spot either. The photo on the wikipedia page looks so dry and sunny. I wanna visit! Anyhow, in contrast to a wet spot on Vancouver Island:

Island Nature*:: Rainfall on the “Wet Coast”

which has more details. Henderson Lake has the same pattern:

Statistics: Henderson Lake Hatchery, BC, Canada - The Weather Network

Curious what the sunshine is. In case that's not enough for you, I found this little article on Henderson Lake:

http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/...0-12-0252a.pdf

I'd join the UK weatherworld site, too, but I'm not British so I don't belong there.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
The NZ mountains do rise pretty sharply from the sea. Nowhere, even in the broadest part of the South Island, is more than 120km from the sea, and the southern Alps chain runs about parallel to the coastlines, at about 1/4 of the distance from the western coastline.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Then it's even more amazing if it's at sea level; I looked it up and thought the rain gauge must be at the top of the 1200m cliffs. How is it so wet then in parts of New Zealand, I wonder? I understand orographic uplift and winds bringing in moist air, but how is it that much wetter than similar places in the UK like Snowdonia/Lake District/Scottish Highlands which rise to similar heights as Cropp River and have longer sea track on the prevailing wind yet only get 1/3 as much rain?

Milford Sound would make an interesting "Rate the Climate"!
Milford's tally of 180 rain days >=1.0mm (or only a few more >= 0.2mm) is not high for such a wet place. Its driest ever month had 30mm, the wettest 1917mm. Sunshine % of average would actually be a little higher than on the much drier southern and south-eastern coasts of the island. Even at Cropp, rainless spells of up to about 14 days have occurred. It should also be noted that quite a large area of the South Island in the east and hinterland has 800mm or less annual rainfall, the driest parts about 350mm.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:28 PM

497 posts, read 1,087,988 times
Quote:
Wettest place in New Zealand (that are inhabitated)? With that precipitation, what is the snowfall higher up? And on the mountains?
NZ does a poor job of collecting snowfall stats. Ski areas are east of the divide and have much lower totals. I've never seen anything other than conjecture for totals on the divide and these suggest annual falls of between 20-50m per annum. The glaciers in this region are bigger and descend far lower(300m/1000ft) than anywhere else in the world at these latitudes.(Lat 43-44 )

There are not many towns in NZ with more than 3000 mm of yearly rainfall. I certainly wouldn't want to live anywhere that wet.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
NZ does a poor job of collecting snowfall stats. Ski areas are east of the divide and have much lower totals. I've never seen anything other than conjecture for totals on the divide and these suggest annual falls of between 20-50m per annum. The glaciers in this region are bigger and descend far lower(300m/1000ft) than anywhere else in the world at these latitudes.(Lat 43-44 )

There are not many towns in NZ with more than 3000 mm of yearly rainfall. I certainly wouldn't want to live anywhere that wet.
That's really low. In the Pacific NW, the glacier line is at about 7000-8000 ft. There might be a few that go down to 6000 ft. I don't see glaciers in the photos of the Milford sound, though.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post

Is skiing big in NZ then in terms of participation/tourism? Apart from Queenstown I can't think of a single well-known ski resort down there, yet I've heard all New Zealanders live within day-trip range of ski facilities, which must be excellent for much of the year with snowfall levels like that.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM

497 posts, read 1,087,988 times
Quote:
That's really low. In the Pacific NW, the glacier line is at about 7000-8000 ft. There might be a few that go down to 6000 ft. I don't see glaciers in the photos of the Milford sound, though.
The majority of glaciers are further north with the higher mountains and bigger snowfall. Still plenty of smaller ones in that area though, although they don't descend far below 1000m/3000ft. Milford is known more for it's avalanches, I've seen some good ones in that area at different times.
Quote:
Is skiing big in NZ then in terms of participation/tourism? Apart from Queenstown I can't think of a single well-known ski resort down there, yet I've heard all New Zealanders live within day-trip range of ski facilities, which must be excellent for much of the year with snowfall levels like that.
Big bucks for the tourist industry, Australians and Japanese in particular. Biggest most developed areas are in the North Island, on the volcanoes. The south has more areas (and tourists), and generally better weather and snow. Ski areas here are sited more for easy access rather than the best snow quality or terrain. My local area goes up to 1700m,with the highest peaks in the region at 2800m. The local ski area is 70 minutes drive away and isn't big, but is still fun. Most of my friends and family would ski one or two days a season.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM

Restarting this thread, I have another climate for people to guess:

Jan: 12/-7/ 1.2
Feb: 16/-4/ 1.0
Mar: 23/-1/ 1.0
Apr: 30/15/ 1.1
May: 47/29/1.3
Jun: 59/41/1.9
Jul: 64/47/3.4
Aug: 59/42/2.9
Sep: 50/33/1.9
Oct: 28/13/1.9
Nov: 20/8/1.6
Dec: 16/-4/1.3

High (°F) / Low (°F) / Precipitation (inches); obviously

In case anyone's wondering, I'd rate this climate an "F", for the horribly long (and rather cold) winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather