U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 AM
 
Location: NY suburbs
175 posts, read 284,391 times
Reputation: 113

Advertisements

According to me:

Scorching/Blazing: > 95 F
Hot: 78 - 95 F
Warm: 66 - 77 F
Mild: 55 - 65 F
Cool: 38 - 54 F
Cold: 21 - 37 F
Frigid: < 21 F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,866 posts, read 7,090,181 times
Reputation: 4252
Blazing: 100 farenheit or more
Hot: from 80 to 100 farenheit
Warm: from 68 to 80 farenheit
Mild: from 60 to 68
Cool: 50 to 60
Cold: 40 to 50
Frigid: less than 40 celsius.


I dont like Blazing, Hot and Frigid weather.

My favourite type of weather is Mild. Then, i like warm. I sometimes like cold, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Buxton, England
7,032 posts, read 7,497,298 times
Reputation: 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Blazing: 100 farenheit or more
Hot: from 80 to 100 farenheit
Warm: from 68 to 80 farenheit
Mild: from 60 to 68
Cool: 50 to 60
Cold: 40 to 50
Frigid: less than 40 celsius.


I dont like Blazing, Hot and Frigid weather.

My favourite type of weather is Mild. Then, i like warm. I sometimes like cold, too.
But you called 15C "very cold" in the temperature thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,866 posts, read 7,090,181 times
Reputation: 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
But you called 15C "very cold" in the temperature thread.
lol, it was an euphemism. Of course 15 celsius is not very cold, is actually a nice mild weather. But giving that we are in October and the temperatures have been MUCH hotter than that since last month, and add that today is a very cloudy, windy and humid day (wich makes it feel way colder than 15c), and thats why i said "very cold". Its comparative. When i compare it to yesterday or last week temperatures, it feels very cold (specially for the grey, dumpy, windy day).


I dont consider 15 celsius very cold at all. Just mild weather.


Was just thinking about this weatherfan: If you lived here you would be very angry with the tv news people. Sometimes i am, too. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO exagerated with the weather that its unbelievable. I think is a Buenos Aires thing, cause when i lived in Mar del Plata, this didnt happened with local news people there. In tv news, when its 15, weather people say "It is VERY COLD" "Please, you need to take your coats and gloves and whatever cause its 15 celsius!" when they read the forecast they comment things like "OMG, tomorrow is gonna be 58/66, HOW CAN IT BE??? WE ARE IN SPRING, IT SHOULD BE 85!". There is even a Russian woman than tells the weather in one channel and she is all like "OMG, a minimum of 57 is expected tomorrow, people need to be careful about this cold", and I yell at the tv: "OMG, YOU THINK 57 IS COLD?' YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO RUSSIA AND TELL ME IF 57 IS COLD!!!" lol
tHEY DRIVE ME CRAZY. I hate news people. Sorry for the rant. I guess me saying 15 c is "very cold" was a nasty habit i got from listening all the time in the news about how 13 ceslius is FREEZING!!

Last edited by SophieLL; 10-12-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
44,483 posts, read 34,861,200 times
Reputation: 14238
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Blazing: 100 farenheit or more
Hot: from 80 to 100 farenheit
Warm: from 68 to 80 farenheit
Mild: from 60 to 68
Cool: 50 to 60
Cold: 40 to 50
Frigid: less than 40 celsius.
I assume you meant 40 fahrenheit not 40 celsius...

I would agree with your definition of frigid, but we get enough cold winter days, that it's worth distinguishing between 15F and 35F. One feels very cold if not bundled up but not painful another feels like any exposed skin gets a bit of a numb feeling after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,596 posts, read 7,004,714 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
lol, it was an euphemism. Of course 15 celsius is not very cold, is actually a nice mild weather. But giving that we are in October and the temperatures have been MUCH hotter than that since last month, and add that today is a very cloudy, windy and humid day (wich makes it feel way colder than 15c), and thats why i said "very cold". Its comparative. When i compare it to yesterday or last week temperatures, it feels very cold (specially for the grey, dumpy, windy day).


I dont consider 15 celsius very cold at all. Just mild weather.


Was just thinking about this weatherfan: If you lived here you would be very angry with the tv news people. Sometimes i am, too. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO exagerated with the weather that its unbelievable. I think is a Buenos Aires thing, cause when i lived in Mar del Plata, this didnt happened with local news people there. In tv news, when its 15, weather people say "It is VERY COLD" "Please, you need to take your coats and gloves and whatever cause its 15 celsius!" when they read the forecast they comment things like "OMG, tomorrow is gonna be 58/66, HOW CAN IT BE??? WE ARE IN SPRING, IT SHOULD BE 85!". There is even a Russian woman than tells the weather in one channel and she is all like "OMG, a minimum of 57 is expected tomorrow, people need to be careful about this cold", and I yell at the tv: "OMG, YOU THINK 57 IS COLD?' YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO RUSSIA AND TELL ME IF 57 IS COLD!!!" lol
tHEY DRIVE ME CRAZY. I hate news people. Sorry for the rant. I guess me saying 15 c is "very cold" was a nasty habit i got from listening all the time in the news about how 13 ceslius is FREEZING!!
Your posts are always so entertaining It seems Argentine weather forecasters are even worse than British ones in exaggerating anything remotely severe. Here I've heard such ridiculous things as "It will be bitterly cold with temperatures barely getting into double figures (in C, not F!) and when it snows 5cm in London half the national TV news will be talking about it...and then anything above about 27C is a heatwave and they mention anywhere that's normally warmer than us but isn't on that day and go on "OMG London warmer than Lagos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Some of the more ridiculous media exaggerations:
The Costa del Kinlochewe as Scots bask in 26C heatwave - News - Scotsman.com
"Scotland basked in a heatwave yesterday as temperatures soared to almost 26C"

UK snow to continue after day of travel chaos - mirror.co.uk
Almost every corner of the UK woke up to between 0.8in (2cm) and 4in (10cm) of snow this morning, with the east coast worst hit by flurries and sub-zero temperatures.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 PM
 
Location: France
7,955 posts, read 5,382,402 times
Reputation: 3146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
The Costa del Kinlochewe as Scots bask in 26C heatwave - News - Scotsman.com
"Scotland basked in a heatwave yesterday as temperatures soared to almost 26C"
Wow, pity there is not a rofl smiley here. xD
Here they are the same, always hyping up wintry weather. Though there is no such thing for summer, I once heard a presentator calling "pleasant temperatures tomorrow, 36C".
There's a woman who apparently doesn't even know the climate of the cities she's talking about. When it's above normal she say's that we're in the norms and when we're in the norms she says that we're below.
And I'm not even talking about the "mini-tornadoes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Buxton, England
7,032 posts, read 7,497,298 times
Reputation: 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Some of the more ridiculous media exaggerations:
The Costa del Kinlochewe as Scots bask in 26C heatwave - News - Scotsman.com
"Scotland basked in a heatwave yesterday as temperatures soared to almost 26C"

Well most people in Buxton, used to the climate here, would easily consider 26C a heatwave, since it only gets reached once every two years on average!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
 
Location: London, England
643 posts, read 893,295 times
Reputation: 158
All temps in Degrees C

Very hot 33+
Hot 22-32
Warm 16-21
Cool 8-15
Cold 0-7
Very cold below 0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Buxton, England
7,032 posts, read 7,497,298 times
Reputation: 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonusa View Post
all temps in degrees c


hot 22-32
warm 16-21
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top