Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times

Advertisements

Oh I'd take 90 and 83 anytime.......Winter after the holidays is so grey and gloomy........and way too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 07:00 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
We got to about 60 degrees today in Pa, mid 60s tomorrow then back down in the mid 50s for the later part of the week. Florida is the only warm spot in the country so be happy. You'll get soe nasty cold snaps this winter and bah bye oranges and veggies.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I suppose you don't want to swim much.
That's one positive of 90 F weather that it's great for swimming;
even 85 F is still low enough that many people will get cold at waterparks,
after standing in line more than 5 minutes.

Canada also is a large country, but all we have is one "cool climate" and a range of "cold climates," which is why I'm still here.
I hope someday you get to move somewhere closer to your weather preferences.
Yes, despite the fact that Canada is the second largest country in the world, all we have is a range of crappy climates. I supposedly live in one of the "mildest" climates here on the west coast and it's still totally crappy as we still get snow and freezing temperatures and endless months of rain in fall and winter... I hope one day I can afford to move out of this frozen hell....

Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes, despite the fact that Canada is the second largest country in the world, all we have is a range of crappy climates. I supposedly live in one of the "mildest" climates here on the west coast and it's still totally crappy as we still get snow and freezing temperatures and endless months of rain in fall and winter... I hope one day I can afford to move out of this frozen hell....
Really? Second Largest? I never knew.

How often is the weather noticeably nicer in the Okanagan Valley?
That's one advantage I've noticed from mountainous areas is a variety of weather,
including leeward sites with compressional-heating.

*Spring and Summer are quite a bit warmer in the Okanagan Valley,
but just about as cold in Autumn and Winter as southern Ontario. )

In southern Ontario a few hours drive usually doesn't mean noticeably different weather...
unless you go north and it might get a lot colder.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-13-2009 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Yes. Russia is the largest country in the world but its climate situation is hardly better. The only place that is relatively warm is a thin strip of coast on the Black Sea around Sochi. It is quite rainy though.

Sochi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another interesting fact is that the southernmost point of both Russia and Canada is at about the same latitude -41 degrees north. However while most Canadians are concentrated in the southernmost part of the country, Russian population is much more evenly distributed with large cities (1m plus) as far north as 60 degrees N. latitude.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
^^ Sochi's climate looks much nicer than anywhere in Canada.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Ugh, just heard on the radio that these extreme temps we've been having in South Florida(above90°) is supposed to continue for another MONTH! According to their forecast, we are not going to get a brake unti mid-November. I swear I'm gonna lose it if it doesn't cool down, at least a little bit, soon.
I'm seriously looking forward to the predicted 84 on Friday. Just a bit of relief soon would be nice. Yesterday, although really no hotter than the past few several days, was crazy. Psychologically and physically, I am needing some quick temp changes. SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is heavily setting in. Getting sick of the sunshine, need some rain to break this up.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
^^ Sochi's climate looks much nicer than anywhere in Canada.
I suppose it is a somewhat warmer version of Vancouver. In any case, it a micro-climate thanks to tall mountains to the north and west that block most of the bitter cold air from the Russian interior and with Black Sea keeping temperatures mild in winter. On the other side of the mountains it is much colder (as is the case in the interior BC).

Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:

How often is the weather noticeably nicer in the Okanagan Valley?
That's one advantage I've noticed from mountainous areas is a variety of weather,
including leeward sites with compressional-heating.

*Spring and Summer are quite a bit warmer in the Okanagan Valley,
but just about as cold in Autumn and Winter as southern Ontario. )

In southern Ontario a few hours drive usually doesn't mean noticeably different weather...
unless you go north and it might get a lot colder.

The Okanagan Valley's summer can get considerably warmer than the summers here and are generally quite nice. Many people from the Vancouver area have summer cottages in this area where they spend summer weekends on some of the lakes in this area. I've been there a few times and it is a relatively nice area....supposedly has Canada's only "hot" desert

In the winter, the Okanagan situation is worse than here since it is not only colder, but they also still get considerable cloud (not as much as here though) as the mountains mainly just block a lot of the moisture and you can get grey skies. Although I would imagine in terms of overall sunshine hours, it is probably higher than the coast for sure.

It seems the weather forecasts for the Okanagan in general just tend to be a drier and a more continental version of Vancouver to me....

Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM

Sochi's climate I would say is definitely much better than Vancouver or even Victoria's....as they get virtually no days where it stays below freezing all day and much less snowfall overall I would imagine. Their summers are also much hotter and are probably more comparable to Southern Ontario's summers but with more consistently warm to hot temperatures.
Extreme temperatures for Sochi according to the Russian Meteorological Website are -13.4C for coldest temperature in 1892 and 39.4C for warmest temperature in 2000. I'd be willing to bet though that Sochi rarely if ever sees temperatures below -5C and probably hasn't seen a -10C temperature in more than 50 years. It's amazing to think that they are going to hold the Winter Olympics there in 2014....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather