Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:04 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
One thing thats done up north is wrapping plastic wrap on windows to keep drafts out. Again, though, I'm not talking about how well a house keeps out the cold, but the actual temperatures the heat is set at. Southerners will crank the heat at 80 with it only been 40 outside. That won't happen here even if its below zero. But southerners don't have to have the heat on for as many months as we do, so they can afford to go a little warmer. 80 degree thermostat from November til April will wreak havoc on our wallets.
I think most public buildings in the South keep the heat around 70-72 in winter, it's extremely rare for it to be as warm as 80 in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 01:04 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I think most public buildings in the South keep the heat around 70-72 in winter, it's extremely rare for it to be as warm as 80 in my experience.
Well I'm more referring to when its colder than average in winter. On a 55/35 degree day its not that strong but on a 30/15 degree day you're more likely to see the heat cranked up pretty high. One thing for sure though, many buildings are air conditioned like crazy in summer!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:56 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,531 times
I’m very cold tolerant. I love -10, so I think I can tolerate down to -130. Shalop says he enjoys -70 and hasn’t experienced below -10, and I’m a badass cold lover so I must love -100.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:35 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Yes, extremely cold tolerant down to at least -35C.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:42 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I spent my childhood in Michigan and I'm still less cold tolerant than the general population.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:04 AM

193 posts, read 217,051 times
Yes, I'd say that there definitely is a tolerance to cold temperature that people develop living in a cold climate for a long time. For sure there is a gap between someone who lived in Montreal their whole life and someone who lived in LA their whole life, for example.

I moved from Texas to Montreal. It's been 4 years now and I can feel myself adapting to the cold climate.

I used to not go out without a coat at 0 C/ 32 F but these days I find myself going out with only a thermal innerwear and a shirt, if it's less than 10 minute run to the cornerstore.

The locals certainly seem to be more resilient. I see people wearing t-shirts and women wearing short skirts at 0 C/ 32F. In the depth of winter when the usual temp is hovering around -10 C /14F ~ -20 C /4F, 0 C can actually feel mild.
Sometimes, people open their windows at 5C ~ -5C, which is frigid for me but for them they seem to be ok with it.

Also in spring, people start sunbathing at 17 C / 62 F which is considered chilly back in Texas.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, extremely cold tolerant down to at least -35C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
Yes, I'd say that there definitely is a tolerance to cold temperature that people develop living in a cold climate for a long time. For sure there is a gap between someone who lived in Montreal their whole life and someone who lived in LA their whole life, for example.

The locals certainly seem to be more resilient. I see people wearing t-shirts and women wearing short skirts at 0 C/ 32F. In the depth of winter when the usual temp is hovering around -10 C /14F ~ -20 C /4F, 0 C can actually feel mild.
Sometimes, people open their windows at 5C ~ -5C, which is frigid for me but for them they seem to be ok with it.

Exactly my thoughts. You acclimate.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:19 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Exactly my thoughts. You acclimate.
And some acclimate pretty fast. I think I learned it happens within couple weeks for me.

I don't ever wear jackets or scarfs even with temps around 10F(-12C) or when shoveling in a snowstorm because I'd already be adjusted to the cold by time it happens. Just 3 layers will do and I even take one off not long after as I'm working out in the cold and snow.

A good example is presently.. 40s during the day would of been very cold just 5 weeks ago, but now its just feels normal where I can walk out with short sleeves and not feel that bite. 60s will feel tropical now yet 60s in June is very chilly.

It's pretty interesting to go through the seasons and feel the body changes.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:48 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I don’t handle the cold well at all, and I never have. Yes, I acclimate to cooler temperatures, but only to a point. Typically between mid November and mid December is when my body has had enough. And January and February here are more than I can take.

I find the heat far more forgiving on my body.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:37 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I don't ever wear jackets or scarfs even with temps around 10F(-12C) or when shoveling in a snowstorm because I'd already be adjusted to the cold by time it happens. Just 3 layers will do and I even take one off not long after as I'm working out in the cold and snow.

Same; especially when shoveling it keeps the body really warm just from exertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don’t handle the cold well at all, and I never have. Yes, I acclimate to cooler temperatures, but only to a point.
How well one acclimates depends on a number of factors, ranging from physical (e.g, body type) to more psychological ones (like whether one believes that winter is something to be resisted vs. embraced). Physically I'm probably only average but the latter one...well, .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather