Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which YEAR ROUND Weather Is Better To Live In?
Phoenix (boiling hot summers / gorgeous winters) 63 40.13%
Minneapolis (freezing cold winters / gorgeous summers) 94 59.87%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:35 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times

Advertisements

I am interested to see what responses would be to this poll.

I am not hoping for factors into this in terms of the cities themselves, OTHER THAN WEATHER. This is truly just which city - if you could only do one - would you rather be in strictly weather-wise [eg: do not factor in population, cost of living, ammenities, culture, housing, etc. - just weather!]

I would be interested. To me, it seems people in the country are far, far more eager to live in a very hot climate such as Phoenix - where it is uncomfortable heat-wise for several months of the year but has gorgeous winters - than they are to live in a very cold climate such as the Twin Cities (even though the TC's have a big population obviously) - where it is uncomfortable cold-wise for several months of the year but has gorgeous summers.

I would be interested - regardless of which you chose - in why you would prefer that weather. Included in the weather is not just temps, but rainfall, humidity, clouds, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I'm not a pretty sight when I'm shirtless and dripping in sweat after a grueling run, so I think Minneapolis would be a better fit for me so I could run with my Columbia parka on!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:51 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Phoenix and it's not even close.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Phoenix and it's not even close.
Hey JakeDog -

Wondering why you feel that way (I have no opinion either way - I am just truly interested to find out where people are coming from).

Essentially - just wondering why people would chose extremely hot summers but great winters v. extremely cold winters v. great summers?

Just interesting to me...because I suspect that most people feel the same as you - just wondering why people prefer heat to cold.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:56 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
I live in MSP and have been to Phoenix in August. I prefer MSP, but had to think about it a bit. I don't mind Phoenix's heat so much because it is so dry, but I'd miss the other seasons. If you had given Minneapolis vs. Miami as my choices, I'd pick Minneapolis in a heartbeat. I lived in Miami when growing up and I don't do humidity! Never again!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I'm not a pretty sight when I'm shirtless and dripping in sweat after a grueling run, so I think Minneapolis would be a better fit for me so I could run with my Columbia parka on!
I totally see this point. To this point, I am surprised that more are with you (not that I think hot climes are better, I just observe it seems more people tend to prefer real hot to real cold)...leaning thus far in the poll with MN! Interesting stuff!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:03 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
"Essentially - just wondering why people would chose extremely hot summers but great winters v. extremely cold winters v. great summers?"

Arizona has 8 GREAT months of weather and 4 months of hot weather (but it is dry so not comparable to Atlanta/South). Minn.- has 7 bad months (4 of which are intolerable) and 5 decent, but not great, months. Add to that the bugs, and what's the question? It isn't humid in the desert, so while it is VERY hot, it isn't comparable to a hot day in the midwest which is unpleasant. That said, I prefer San Diego to either dump.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
I prefer MN, just because it has 4 seasons. I dont want to be shackled someplace that never changes... booooooring.

With that being said, both cities have great attributes. PHX has decent winters (with some horrible days) while MN has long stretches of brutal cold. PHX has horrid summers, MN has great summers (and lots of water to enjoy it with). Either way youre screwed 1/2 the year in either place. PHX will start to hit 100 around late may all the way through early October. MN will start to freeze around November and stay consistently cold through March, when a gradual warmup begins. As for the humidity and dryness issue, its not contest which city is more severe. PHX is brutalized with non-stop sunshine for several straight months. Everything is bone dry and extremely hot (ever stepped into a 140 degree car?)! I mean, EXTREMELY hot. Whereas MN has several weeks of brutal humidity, which makes everything wet feeling and very unpleasant. Then agian, the rest of the summer in MN is about as close to perfect as you can get. In MN they get a break from the humidity, in AZ, they dont get a break from the dryness and brutal sunshine/heat. See what Im saying?

And JakeDog, what are you talking about "dumps" and "bugs". San Diego has great weather no doubt, but calling PHX and MN "dumps" is stupid. They offer better cost of living, less taxes, less illegal-immigration problems, etc... seems like a good place to me! Besides, LOTS of Californians have moved to PHX for that reason. Now which is the better place? I forget.

And the bug comment... another strange thing to say. MN has ticks and mosquitos, those are the main nuisances. PHX has 50 species of scorpion, dozens of species of rattlesnakes, sewer roaches, giant centipedes, black widows and mountain lions also roam the area. I think I know (besides me) what 95% of the population would choose. ;-)

Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Phoenix! No contest! As soon as the brutal cold leaves MN, the bugs come out to suck your blood. I have neighbors who mow in bee suits. I can only be outside comfortable a couple weeks a year.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:22 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
October, April and May can be miserable months in both Phoenix and MPLS. While it is nice other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather