U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 PM
 
319 posts, read 55,405 times
Reputation: 86

Advertisements

San Diego is great, but it can get those Santa Ana winds which bring very hot air from the desert. So occasionally, you could have temperatures hover around 100 degrees on a few days a year in SD.

San Francisco has a similar climate, but I think it is superior to San Diego. Even if San Francisco got winds blowing in from the Central Valley, it wouldn't get as hot as SD gets when it receives the winds off the Mojave desert.

So basically the lower half of the California coast; you can't go wrong weather-wise.

Other very pleasant climates can be found on the North-Western coast of Africa (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia)
Coastal Iberian Peninsula (Spain, Portugal)

Southern coast of Australia

Southern coast of Africa

West Coast of South America (Lima Peru, Santiago Chile)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 PM
 
Location: A suburb of Vancouver, BC, Canada
172 posts, read 436,034 times
Reputation: 105
Many places in the south Mediterranean get well into the 90's or triple digits in the summer frequently, much more frequently than San Diego.....I would say San Diego has one of the best climates on Earth, the best in the U.S for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 05:31 PM
 
1,257 posts, read 1,923,579 times
Reputation: 1218
Most temperate climate in the USA would be on the west coast ....for example Eureka,CA ranges from 54 degree high's in January to only 62 degree high temp in July...Santa Barbara,CA probably has the best temporate climate ranging from daytime high's in the mid 60's in January to low 70's in July ...but anywhere along the west coast of California is very temporate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
6,627 posts, read 6,767,957 times
Reputation: 7744
The San Diego area has the best climate of anywhere in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Split,Croatia
312 posts, read 1,017,732 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Coastal California stations from San Francisco south to the Mexican border. Dry subtropical -'cool water coast' Mediterranean. Although it stretches north of San Francisco about 200 miles, where the 'temperate oceanic' climate begins to kick in.

Also located; Cape Town SA, Southern Europe; most of Italy, French Riviera, Greece, Croatian coast, most of Israel, Lebanon, Western Turkey, the Crimea, Portugal, most of Spain, North west Africa, coastal Tunisia, Perth Western AU and the SW, Adelaide South AU and south, Melbourne Victoria AU (Marginal- Mediterranean/temperate oceanic) and central Chile..

Only coastal California and central Chile have a 'cool water' coast subtype.
I'm living on the Croatian coast,the coolest month is JANUARY when average temperature is 7 deegres C !exc.San Francisco average temperature in JANUARY is 10,11 deegres C !!! that is CONTRAST !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Here
2,746 posts, read 3,797,896 times
Reputation: 4595
Grew up in Ventura, so I'd vote for that city....only complaint I had about the weather was the foggy summers...but can't have it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Paris, France
75 posts, read 200,965 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Coastal California stations from San Francisco south to the Mexican border. Dry subtropical -'cool water coast' Mediterranean. Although it stretches north of San Francisco about 200 miles, where the 'temperate oceanic' climate begins to kick in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post

Also located; Cape Town SA, Southern Europe; most of Italy, French Riviera, Greece, Croatian coast, most of Israel, Lebanon, Western Turkey, the Crimea, Portugal, most of Spain, North west Africa, coastal Tunisia, Perth Western AU and the SW, Adelaide South AU and south, Melbourne Victoria AU (Marginal- Mediterranean/temperate oceanic) and central Chile..
Only coastal California and central Chile have a 'cool water' coast subtype.
I spent 3 years living in Nice, the biggest city of the French Riviera, and the climate there is very temperate, very dry also. Winter highs are around 56F, lows around 42F, sunny skies. Summer highs around 80F, lows around 68F. Average summer sea temperature around 77F, 55F in winter.
Nice has the most temperate summer of the whole Mediterranean coast, you'll always get a sea breeze during the day, and it's dry and ever sunny. It's the perfect summer weather in my opinion. All-time record high is 100F.
Actually i missed the clouds and the rain and snow of northern France (i'm Parisian) while i was living in Nice . I guess it's the same when you come from Seattle or NYC and you move to San Diego or LA. You'll end up missing your good old cloudy skies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
 
424 posts, read 1,041,851 times
Reputation: 262
Any place in the Hawaii Islands kick the butt of anywhere in San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 5,537,507 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post

I spent 3 years living in Nice, the biggest city of the French Riviera, and the climate there is very temperate, very dry also. Winter highs are around 56F, lows around 42F, sunny skies. Summer highs around 80F, lows around 68F. Average summer sea temperature around 77F, 55F in winter.
Nice has the most temperate summer of the whole Mediterranean coast, you'll always get a sea breeze during the day, and it's dry and ever sunny. It's the perfect summer weather in my opinion. All-time record high is 100F.
Actually i missed the clouds and the rain and snow of northern France (i'm Parisian) while i was living in Nice . I guess it's the same when you come from Seattle or NYC and you move to San Diego or LA. You'll end up missing your good old cloudy skies.
i went to Paris on December, 30, 2005 and i remember it was like a blizzard that day, it was the first time i ever saw snow falling so heavily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,601,695 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
Any place in the Hawaii Islands kick the butt of anywhere in San Diego
In San Diego they average 48 F for a low in winter, so most people probably need long sleeves and maybe a light jacket most winter mornings.

IMHO In an ideal climate, clothing should be only needed for modesty or fashion.
Think Garden of Eden; Adam and Eve probably didn't shiver or sweat much.
San Diego is way too cool to be clothing optional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top