Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,413,829 times

Advertisements

I had the displeasure of driving around the White Mts. of New Hampshire in Dec. in a rear-wheel drive Mustang, remember the 5.0 Mustang GTs? We were sliding all over the place! As far as places to relocate(sorry if I already mentioned this), we are looking at : Iowa City, IA, Ely, MN, Northern N.H. or VT, or CO, Denver/Boulder area. We have A LOT of research to do over the next yr so wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,413,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Depending how much heat/summer the OP would like to avoid.

I think the best of all worlds would be somewhere Mid-Atlantic too; mild winter but a drive to the mountains for reliable snow with longish, hottish summers
but mountains again for a cool-down, while spring and fall are probably better (more stable and/or sunny) than anywhere else in the North.

*Imho, even the mountains of the southern Appalachians would give a stronger impression of "endless summer" than somewhere low-altitude but as far north as me.
(much lower chance of seeing summer highs below 70 F down south )

If OP wants to avoid as much 80+ F weather as possible,
I'd avoid the Mid-Atlantic (at least low-alitude) as well as the southern half or two-thirds of the Midwest.
Pacific Northwest might even be more stable than the Mid-Atlantic,
but you'd be trading temp stability for moderate-sunshine.
What about Colorado, around Denver or Boulder? I think they have cooler Summers and milder Winters as opposed to MN or IA? I'm not sure though.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
Climatology Comparison for Iowa City, IA - weather.com City, IA&sfld2=Denver, CO, US&clocid1=USIA0414&clocid2=USCO0105

This is the weather comparison site that I like to use. You can change locations on it and compare. It's kind of sketchy for catching snowfall amounts though.

OK, as I was checking to see if it showed up the way I hoped it would, I can see that ONCE AGAIN it didn't. LOL

Here's the site~http://www.weather.com/outlook/healt...rchbox_localwx

Go to the 10 day forecast~lower right you'll see "Averages". It takes you to a chart where you can also compare two cities.

For snowfall and more temps, you can just use City Data's pages. For example~

http://www.city-data.com/city/Iowa-City-Iowa.html

Just do a search for "Boulder, Co. detailed profile"~as an example.

Iowa City is a very nice city. Personally, I'd want to live further south because their weather isn't a LOT better then mine is.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:28 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think the best of all worlds would be somewhere Mid-Atlantic too; mild winter but a drive to the mountains for reliable snow with longish, hottish summers
but mountains again for a cool-down, while spring and fall are probably better (more stable and/or sunny) than anywhere else in the North.
If by Mid-Atlantic you mean NJ I agree. Close the beaches in the summer, not far from ski resorts in New England in the winter. Fairly balanced in terms of summer heat vs winter cold.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:30 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,609,976 times
I like Iowa City, too, they do get their fair share of winter! One thing Iowa will give you instead of Minn. is spring starting earlier and warmer temps. My sister is in Iowa not far from Iowa City and when I visit her in early May things are looking green, she's done some planting. I can't plant until late May.

Ely, Minn. is north of Duluth, not that far from Canada and you will get long winters there. Ely can get snow in May, my sister does on occasion in Upper Michigan and Ely would be north of her.

Lots for you to research and think about, check it all out!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:01 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
If by Mid-Atlantic you mean NJ I agree. Close the beaches in the summer, not far from ski resorts in New England in the winter. Fairly balanced in terms of summer heat vs winter cold.
Agreed. There's skiing in New Jersey and in the Poconos in PA. Plenty of lakes and the ocean is no farther than a couple hours away.

Iowa gets really cold during the winter, but as Suzan said, they get warmer sooner. Ely is an ice box! Denver's weather can be pretty extreme.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
What about Colorado, around Denver or Boulder? I think they have cooler Summers and milder Winters as opposed to MN or IA? I'm not sure though.
I wouldn't say their summers are "cooler", but they have no humidity so there might be lower heat indexes.
Also, nights cool off rapidly overnight throughout Colorado, so you might enjoy that as well.

Winters are definitely milder somewhere like Denver, in terms of daytime highs.
Overnights should be about the same as Iowa, and a little milder than MN.

Some people prefer brilliant fall colour, intense spring growth and lush summer foliage; Colorado is not a good place to see this.
Some people also hate intense sunlight, like Granitestater, and due to the altitude, their U.V. might be nearly as strong as Florida's.
But Colorado would probably be better if you're main interest is being "sweat-free."
Colorado is also the kind of place where you can have "4 seasons" any month of the year.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
To me "Mid-Atlantic" in terms of climate is roughly between Conneticut/Long Island to northern Virginia, east of the mountains.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 AM

14 posts, read 28,949 times
NE weather sucks. One day it was 70 degrees out and 2 days later it was snowing. then a week later the snow will start to melt, only to be frozen over that night causing slushy dirty ice. The roads swell up when spring hits and there are pot holes everywhere.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE603 View Post
NE weather sucks. One day it was 70 degrees out and 2 days later it was snowing. then a week later the snow will start to melt, only to be frozen over that night causing slushy dirty ice. The roads swell up when spring hits and there are pot holes everywhere.
That can pretty much happen anywhere with snowy winters in North America.
OP is tired of "endless summer" so they might actually enjoy experiencing of the most hazards and inconveniences of cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather