U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:05 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,384,288 times
Default America's rainiest cities!

(copied from the Washington state forum from ShadowXOR ...if helpful, please give reps to ShadowXOR http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...tml#post763579)

Quote:
The Southeast dominated the most rainy list, while the Pacific Northwest never enters the list until Olympia, Washington pops up at number 24.

I'm just helping to dispel some myths around here! You can read the full article here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18827213?GT1=9951
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 04:29 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,397,101 times
Interesting info, 'rocco.

I gave Shadow some rep for such valuable info!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:33 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,384,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

Oh, thanks, ontheroad ...I'm sure he appreciated it!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:47 PM

562 posts, read 1,572,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

Glad you enjoyed the info! I'm moving to Washington shortly and got a lot of valuable information from these forums, but I also got some misinformation so I try and clear things up when I get the facts! I'll have some first-hand impressions in just a few weeks now!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:51 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,397,101 times
Good luck on the move, ShadowXOR--I've been to Seattle, and can't remember any rain!

Let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
Glad you enjoyed the info! I'm moving to Washington shortly and got a lot of valuable information from these forums, but I also got some misinformation so I try and clear things up when I get the facts! I'll have some first-hand impressions in just a few weeks now!

Old 05-23-2007, 05:10 PM

19,180 posts, read 50,030,673 times
I dont know why people think Seattle is the rainiest city, its more like the "drizzliest" city. LOl Very overcast and drizzly.... The south has very rainy cities, averaging much more rain than the PacNW.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 20,825,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont know why people think Seattle is the rainiest city, its more like the "drizzliest" city. LOl Very overcast and drizzly.... The south has very rainy cities, averaging much more rain than the PacNW.

My sister-in-law (and I've come to realize just about everyone in the Seattle metro region) is fond of telling us that we get more rain than they do. Not terribly hard to believe - they rarely get the severe, soaking rains the NE, SE and Midwest do.

It's just the constant cloud cover, "spitting" type rain for days and weeks in a row that's so prevalent. The times I've been out there (several) I've had maybe 3 sunny days - the rest of the time is just gloomy.

The upside is that is why everything is so green and lush.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:29 PM

121 posts, read 359,608 times
Ha! Seattle's not the rainiest...well, what do you know?

Here in Tampa we may not have the most rain, but we are the lightning capital of the nation. Whoo!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:20 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,339,196 times
Wow. Beaumont, Texas didn't make the top 10? Surprising. Because you need a rowboat to live down there.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:59 AM

791 posts, read 2,224,166 times
I lived outside Mobile for a time and beyond the unbelievable and unbearable humidity, the weather is still a far greater enticement there than the coastal pacific Northwest. When it rains on the gulf coast (like much of the south), it pours buckets. Seattle and Portland are constantly gray and drizzly over 6 months of the year. In the winter months I've spent in Oregon and Washington near or on the coast, I rarely experienced torrential rainfalls, but never at the same token was convinced tha all residents actually knew that there is a star in the sky that is responsible for emitting something known as "sunlight". Mobile and the gulf coast does not have a preponderance of glum weather days. By "glum", most first conjure in their heads drizzle, grayness, clouds. In that case there isn't even close to an argument to be had. What sort of temperatures you prefer however is all based on how much humidity your willing to tolerate from the moment you step outside and you begin to violently wheeze even if you don't have allergies. Then perhaps an umbrella in one hand daily isn't such a bad way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather