U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 AM

13 posts, read 20,136 times

Advertisements

This is Gangi, a small country that rises to 1000 meters (2801 feet) in the mountains of Madonie.

Fhoto of Gangi, by forum meteosicilia
Forum di MeteoSicilia - Leggi argomento - Gangi(1-2 Febbraio 2010)

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 PM

799 posts, read 810,814 times
Thank you for responding. I'm sure I will have more questions regarding Italy and Greece. I am drooling over the pictures.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM

29 posts, read 8,701 times
Hello!!!As an Athenian bread and born and as a lover of Athens weather let me give u the true figures about Athens

First its a total misconception that it snows in Athens every year...This is due to the last 4 blizards of 2002,2004,2006 and 2008 which happen in Athens every 130 years!!!I mean to have a decade with 4 years of such snowfalls!!
Before 2002 it hadnt snowed in Athens for nearly 15 years!!!
However it is true that Athens sees more snow on average than Palermo...but this is slightly more..because if you compare the southern suburbs of Athens you hardly see snow...And I know very well as I grew up in southern Athens!!!

The average January temperature for Athens is 10.2C whereas for Palermo its 11...so not much of a difference there...The average yearly temperature is 18.2 in Athens which is almost the same with Palermo if not higher

However summers are another story!!!We have extremely high temperatures and the average high in July is 35C and always sunny.In fact Athens has the official european highest temperature record in Europe with 48.0C in 1977 in a western suburb called Elefsis!!!This part of Athens is susceptible to foehn winds that brings up temperatures in the summer dramatically.There is hardly a year that you see a July without 40C...I personally dont remember any year without 40C in Athens!!!

In terms of sunshine we receive about 2890hours of sunshine which is higher than Palermo and one of the highest in Europe.Also we have a very dry climate with an average of 400mm of rain per year.Some parts of southern athens even have a semiarid climate...

Athens has been praised internationally for its climate from Strabo in antiquity to Coopers in recent years.Where ever I go I cannot find the clear Athenean skies and the extremely healthy Athens climate...It is indeed exceptional and I feel blessed to have grown up in Athens ....now i live in grey London and I miss the Athens sunshine!!!

Here you go...this is Athens for you

Last edited by Mesogeiakos; 02-22-2010 at 07:06 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 07:26 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesogeiakos View Post
Hello!!!As an Athenian bread and born and as a lover of Athens weather let me give u the true figures about Athens

First its a total misconception that it snows in Athens every year...This is due to the last 4 blizards of 2002,2004,2006 and 2008 which happen in Athens every 130 years!!!I mean to have a decade with 4 years of such snowfalls!!
Before 2002 it hadnt snowed in Athens for nearly 15 years!!!
However it is true that Athens sees more snow on average than Palermo...but this is slightly more..because if you compare the southern suburbs of Athens you hardly see snow...And I know very well as I grew up in southern Athens!!!

The average January temperature for Athens is 10.2C whereas for Palermo its 11...so not much of a difference there...The average yearly temperature is 18.2 in Athens which is almost the same with Palermo if not higher

However summers are another story!!!We have extremely high temperatures and the average high in July is 35C and always sunny.In fact Athens has the official european highest temperature record in Europe with 48.0C in 1977 in a western suburb called Elefsis!!!This part of Athens is susceptible to foehn winds that brings up temperatures in the summer dramatically.There is hardly a year that you see a July without 40C...I personally dont remember any year without 40C in Athens!!!

In terms of sunshine we receive about 2890hours of sunshine which is higher than Palermo and one of the highest in Europe.Also we have a very dry climate with an average of 400mm of rain per year.Some parts of southern athens even have a semiarid climate...

Athens has been praised internationally for its climate from Strabo in antiquity to Coopers in recent years.Where ever I go I cannot find the clear Athenean skies and the extremely healthy Athens climate...It is indeed exceptional and I feel blessed to have grown up in Athens ....now i live in grey London and I miss the Athens sunshine!!!

Here you go...this is Athens for you

Stunningly beautiful country!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 PM

29 posts, read 8,701 times
Thanks you also I forgot to say that if you compare Patra (Patrasso in Italian) in west Peloponnesse which is in exactly the same latitude with Palermo and Athens (38'0N) you will see that in Patra it has snowed only a few times in the last century....It is extremely rare for Patra to see settled snow in the ground and personally in our archive we dont even have more than 2 or 3 fotos of settled snow in Patra!!

Our true champion though in rare snow is a city in extreme southern Crete called Ierapetra at a latitude of (35'0N)...It has snowed only 3 times in the last century and the snow was settled in the ground only for 8 hours in 2004..There is only one day of snow lying in Ierapetra that day for a period of 115 years that we have records!!!!The lowest ever recorded temperature in Ierapetra was +0.8 in that day of 2004 which means that the city has never experienced a negative temperature in its entire history where we have records!!!

The average sunshine in Ierapetra is 3100hours per year and the average rain is only 207cm per year!!

Its yearly average mean temperature is 21C and it is by far the warmest city in georgraphical Europe!!!

Also Greece apart from the warmest European temperature record in summer holds the warmest European temperature record in January and February with 30.4C recorded in Crete in 1/1/2010 and 32.1C record for February recorded again in Crete in 20/2/2010...a few days ago!!

The average mean January temperature in Ierapetra is 14.1C!!!!It almost never drops below 12C there!!!

Last edited by Mesogeiakos; 02-22-2010 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather