Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Spring - Beginning of March to beginning of June - It's still cool and showery except that there are things in bloom now. Temps range from about 60F for highs to 35F for lows.
I don't doubt that you have "things in bloom" in March, even with temps in the low-teens C. (low-mid 50's F)

Around Toronto, generally nothing grows when highs are below 13 C (56 F) and not much happens without highs of 16+ C (60+ F). Pretty spring scenes that are what most people imagine as "Spring" require us to have already had 3-5 days at 60+ F. Usually this doesn't happen until late-April, sometimes mid-May.

Maybe the difference is our ground is much colder in Spring?
We have a 3-foot "frost line." (ground can freeze to that depth)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Tough to nail down as each year is so different....but based on my ideas of what each season is here is my take on it up in my area (northeast ND-northwest MN)

Winter --Nov 15-Apr 15
based on consistent below freezing and when snowcover typically begins to when it typically is almost gone and ground un-freezes. Our true winter (below 0F very common) usually runs Dec 15-Feb 15

Spring -- Apr 15-June 15
snow melt ending in mid April...ground getting warmer and grass starts getting green and tree buds out late April to early May. Full grown leaves usually by Memorial Day...typically you can start planting flowers after June 1 without a huge risk of a killing frost.

Summer -- June 15-Sept 15
long days with 16-17 hours of daylight in June to mid July. Little chance of frost and highs in the 70s and 80s very common...sometimes 90s

Fall -- Sept 15-Nov 15
losing daylight quickly now and nights are cooler with frosts common by Oct 1 and freezes by Oct 15th. First snow in October in most months but usually melts in a few days.

Dan

Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
How long do your area's seasons run?

In the NYC area I'd say:

Fall - 10 weeks (starts in Late-September and ends in Late-November)

Winter - 14 weeks (starts in Late-November and ends in Mid-March)

Spring - 11 weeks (starts in Mid-March and ends in Late-May)

Summer - 17 weeks (starts in Late-May and ends in Late-September)

This is just a rough estimation and varies from year to year but I'm glad to see Summer is the longest season.
I would roughly put Dallas in about this same category, but I would prefer Fall or Winter be the predominantly long season!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We have hot, hotter, not so hot, and almost comfortable
LOL! I can relate to this one too although I do admit you have it worse in Houston as far as heat goes!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
So, as you can see spring and fall are generally the longest seasons here with short summers and winters.
Vancouver has the reverse of Toronto.
In a year with normal-length winters and summers,
winter and summer are the longest seasons of the year,
with winter being the longest season.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Ok I'll bite:

For NYC,

FALL - late September to late November. Characterized by relatively warm or pleasant days and cool/cold nights. October is relatively dry and sunny but November is fairly wet but overall weather can be very changeable. Fall foliage, first frosts are observed.

WINTER - December to early March. Mostly cold days and usually subfreezing nights necessitating warm winter clothes for most of the period. Wintry precipitation is common. Skies have greatest chance of being overcast. Warm days are rare but possible.

SPRING - second half of March to early May. Very changeable weather with only general warming trend. Cold strong sea breezes create raw and unpleasant conditions. Trees become green roughly in second half of April.

SUMMER - late mid May to mid September. Days are warm to hot, with high humidity; nights are also humid and usually warm. Precipitation is usually in the form of thunderstorms. Skies have greatest chance of being sunny.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I'll take a stab, too, although it varies a great deal here by the lake shore!

I'd say winter is very late Nov. until the end of March

Spring is April through May

Summer is June - mid-September (this past Sept. was awesome right up to the end of the month)

Fall is mid-Sept. through November

Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Hot/Cold

Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
In England: Winter from 1st September - 31st May. Autumn from 1st June - 31st August. There are no other seasons.
Ditto for Melbourne.

Sydney, Perth and Adelaide are livign it up....average highs/lows in Sydney are 21C/29C, Average lows/highs in Perf and Adelaide are 19/34C and 18/31C respectively. Melbourne....15C to 26C. Gay. Even freaking Canbraaa are outstripping us at 16/32C [mod cut]

WORST ****UP OF A CRUMMER IN HISTORY [mod cut]

FAIL FAIUL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FIAL FAIL FIAL FIAL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

Last edited by debey; 01-27-2010 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: content

Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I don't doubt that you have "things in bloom" in March, even with temps in the low-teens C. (low-mid 50's F)

Around Toronto, generally nothing grows when highs are below 13 C (56 F) and not much happens without highs of 16+ C (60+ F). Pretty spring scenes that are what most people imagine as "Spring" require us to have already had 3-5 days at 60+ F. Usually this doesn't happen until late-April, sometimes mid-May.

Maybe the difference is our ground is much colder in Spring?
We have a 3-foot "frost line." (ground can freeze to that depth)
Yes, I think the main reason why we have blooms at much lower temperatures and earlier than you do definitely has to do with the "frost line". Here in the winter we don't have much of a frost line and when we do have one, it's not very deep (typically less than 30cm) and it doesn't last the whole winter (more like 2-3 weeks at most at a time). As a result, the soil is generally warmer and more or less not frozen come February or March which facilitates plant growth. Another consequence of this lack of frozen ground means that construction happens all year here.
In fact this year, a few flowers have started now sprouting already due to the very mild winter we've been having. We haven't had a frost since before Xmas.

Last edited by deneb78; 01-26-2010 at 08:25 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,659 times
I'll start with my worst season down here in south Texas.

Summer- about May-October (last cold fronts blow in in May and start around mid-September, but they are very weak, they really just lower the humidity if anything)

Fall- probably just November. We don't get color changes or anything down here, but you may finally bring out a sweater or jacket out this month.

Winter- December-February. Although it's not a constant cold, these months will bring in the arctic fronts and some of the coldest weather of the season. So for that alone, it's considered winter. No snow and frozen precip maybe once a year.

Spring- March, April. Cold fronts are far and in between at this point and it starts to feel hotter and humid. Nothing really needs to grow back as most of the plants never died to begin with, but the longer daylight hours are felt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather