Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times

Advertisements

Seattle has much nicer summers, London has drier winters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 05:46 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,018,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Seattle does have warmer and drier summers than London definitely. Also, despite the fact that London and Seattle are about the same temperature on average in the winter, Seattle can get colder weather from time to time than London can due to Britain being an island and more moderated by the Gulf Stream. From a gardening perspective, you can grow more tender and subtropical plants in London than you can in Seattle (i.e. Canary Island Date Palms will grow in many parts of the UK including London but will not grow here in Vancouver or in Seattle unprotected.)

I would argue that England is more likely to have colder winters than Seattle actually. Definately this one just gone, an average temperature of 33f, when was the last time Seattle had a month that cold.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
I would argue that England is more likely to have colder winters than Seattle actually. Definately this one just gone, an average temperature of 33f, when was the last time Seattle had a month that cold.
I've looked at the averages, and it seems Victoria BC is nearly spot-on with London's average temps.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I've looked at the averages, and it seems Victoria BC is nearly spot-on with London's average temps.
Which leads me to believe that the role of Gulf Stream is somewhat overrated as there is no equivalent of Gulf Stream near PNW.

One difference, though, is that oceanic influence in Europe penetrates much farther inland than in North America but that is due to mountains (Cascades, Rockies).

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Which leads me to believe that the role of Gulf Stream is somewhat overrated as there is no equivalent of Gulf Stream near PNW.

One difference, though, is that oceanic influence in Europe penetrates much farther inland than in North America but that is due to mountains (Cascades, Rockies).
Not the Rockies, but certainly the Cascades. Eastern Washington (east of the Cascades) has a dramatically different climate from Western Washington. Western Washington is very mild and very damp. The Hoh Rain Forest gets 150 inches of rain a year (12 feet), while Yakima gets roughly 8 inches (about the same as Tucson Arizona) and is a desert.

Ken

Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Not the Rockies, but certainly the Cascades. Eastern Washington (east of the Cascades) has a dramatically different climate from Western Washington. Western Washington is very mild and very damp. The Hoh Rain Forest gets 150 inches of rain a year (12 feet), while Yakima gets roughly 8 inches (about the same as Tucson Arizona) and is a desert.

Ken
Eh, I think some marine influence is still felt even east of the Cascades. Boise, Idaho is much milder in winter than, say, Minneapolis despite being at a higher elevation. Even Helena, Montana is not as cold as one might expect it to be at 4000ft elevation and 46 degrees North Latitude.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:20 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Eh, I think some marine influence is still felt even east of the Cascades. Boise, Idaho is much milder in winter than, say, Minneapolis despite being at a higher elevation. Even Helena, Montana is not as cold as one might expect it to be at 4000ft elevation and 46 degrees North Latitude.
Yeah, that's true. Having lived in Eastern North Dakota I can attest to your statement.

Ken

Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
Chinook winds only reach as far east as far western South Dakota which explains the 20 degree difference ( many times) between high winter temps in Rapid City and central South Dakota.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
Quote:
the coldest month ever December 2008 - average mean temperature 36.9F. Average high only 40.8 and average low 33.0

Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Some interesting stats I found...
Seattle's record low temperature is 0F (-17.8C) on January 31, 1950. I'm not sure what the record low in London is but I'm willing to bet it's above 0F and definitely on the south coast of Britain it's much warmer than that.

Some other interesting stats I found for Seattle
Max number of days where temperature stayed below freezing: 10 (January 21 to January 30, 1969)
Max number of days where night time temps were below freezing: 24 (December 23, 1946 to January 15, 1947)

Vancouver also had a particularly cold month in January 1950. In fact, I believe it was the coldest January on record here. It had an average high of only 26.7F (-2.9C) and an average low of only 14.5F (-9.7C) which makes for an overall average of 20.6F (-6.3C).

Even recently, the winter of 2008-2009 which was one of the snowiest on record for Vancouver had 3 solid weeks where temperatures stayed below freezing and some of the outer suburbs of greater Vancouver recorded temperatures as low as 5F (-15C).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather