U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:14 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,193,551 times

Advertisements

Canadian meteorologists say that El Nino is responsible for keeping winter storm tracks south of southern Ontario.

We've only had 27 cm (11 inches) of snow the entire winter.
Our two "heaviest" snowfalls about 8 cm (3 inches) in my neighbourhood.
As far as snowfall events totalling 1+ cm, (0.035+ inches), we've probably had 5-8.

Last winter we had above-average snowfall,
but this year we've had about one-quarter the snow we had last year by this same date.
I don't know what that means in terms of an average winter,
but I think it's safe to say we've had less-than-half of our average snowfall to date.

To put this into perspective,
an "ordinary" single snowfall event for us is 10-15 cm (4-6 inches) and anything less is "light."
In a normal winter we probably would have had at least one dump of 15+ cm (6+ inches) by now.
Considering this, it's safe to say my city has had no significant snowfalls the entire winter.

We might even be on our way to breaking the Winter 1952-1953 record lightest snow totals of only 54 cm (21.25 inches) of snow.

El Nino has also affected how much rain we get too.
The average at Pearson Intl. AP for January is about 55 mm (2.2 inches) of combined frozen and unfrozen precipitation,
but for January 2010, the airport only observered 25 mm of precip; that's 0.96 inches of precip for the whole month!

Temperature-wise,
this winter has actually been fairly-seasonal, making our dryish and mostly-snow-free winter even more surprising.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-05-2010 at 02:24 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,539,081 times
I'm thinking I like El Nino, too! The last two winters here were crazy, over 100" of snow (normal would be 45" or so), colder temps, winds blowing the snow around, this year not so much! I have patches of grass visible in my back yard (on the north side of my garage), last year I didn't see any lawn until mid-March at least.

My natural gas bills have been less, too, 3 weeks in January were above normal temps so El Nino is not a bad thing unless you are looking to ski or snow mobile around here.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:36 PM

33,007 posts, read 13,815,411 times
Ok well, I don't like EN, if it is causing us to have a winter I haven't seen in 10 years. Our third snow of more than 6 inches!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,193,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Ok well, I don't like EN, if it is causing us to have a winter I haven't seen in 10 years. Our third snow of more than 6 inches!
Funny to hear from North Carolinians who're sick of ice and snow.
You're not the only one either. I remember one poster from Western Cary was getting angered by ice and snow too.
Ususally when I hear people from the Carolinas talk about snow, they say:
"...if we're lucky, we might get X-amount...",
"...I hope to see snow for Christmas, that would be a real treat..." and
"...I love living in the Carolinas because we never get enough snow to get sick of it..."

I think it's fair for us Northerners to brag/gloat since El Nino is a once in seven year event,
this one seems to be doing more than most other El Ninos
and most residents here agree that our winters are normally excessive.

As far as being "ready for snow"
I heard somewhere the City of Toronto has budgeted for 2000 snowplow trucks and 5000 "salt-trucks",
which is probably why all the major roads can be cleared in a few hours.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM

5,383 posts, read 4,357,039 times
I hate El Nino!
December's highs were about 6 degrees below average. Same with January. Right now it should already start to warm up. Our average high today is 55/56 with a Febraury high of 58. Instead, 7 of the next 10 days will be in the 40s with just two days at 51 and the warmest day is 54 when it should be 58.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Funny to hear from North Carolinians who're sick of ice and snow.
You're not the only one either. I remember one poster from Western Cary was getting angered by ice and snow too.
Ususally when I hear people from the Carolinas talk about snow, they say:
"...if we're lucky, we might get X-amount...",
"...I hope to see snow for Christmas, that would be a real treat..." and
"...I love living in the Carolinas because we never get enough snow to get sick of it..."

I think it's fair for us Northerners to brag/gloat since El Nino is a once in seven year event,
this one seems to be doing more than most other El Ninos
and most residents here agree that our winters are normally excessive.

As far as being "ready for snow"
I heard somewhere the City of Toronto has budgeted for 2000 snowplow trucks and 5000 "salt-trucks",
which is probably why all the major roads can be cleared in a few hours.
It's totally fair CC. I'm from Northern Ca. so I never minded snow. But I'm older and have been here 10 years and it's crazy. My Dad has been here 15 and can't remember it being this bad except their first year here, which had tons of ice!!

It's funny when people complain about the weather that seems so normal for us, like when it's cold in Fl. at 60 degrees.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,539,081 times
Listening to a local Green Bay station with evening news reporting about the storm, too.

We are not getting snow due to a strong northeast wind, cold dry air coming in from Canada is keeping everything south of us.

Storms like this have an effect on the whole country, air travel, trucking companies, a nightmare, very serious stuff two feet of snow no matter where you live! The only difference is northern states have more equipment, bigger plows to deal with sizeable snow amounts.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Wow Virginia and DC are really getting it. Virginia state gov't is shut down! I'm only a couple of miles from the border. El Nino isn't being nice to VA and DC!!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,131,250 times
I love el nino too, except this year. El Nino is supposed to bring us a hot and dry summer, which hasn't been the case this year. Unless ofcourse if you live in Sydney, Adelaide or Perth

Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,982,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
I love el nino too, except this year. El Nino is supposed to bring us a hot and dry summer, which hasn't been the case this year. Unless ofcourse if you live in Sydney, Adelaide or Perth
Actually make that just Adelaide or Perth. Our summer here in Sydney has been sh*t. Warm, sure, including very warm nights, but the sun has taken a permanent vacation.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather