Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
LOL, I was surprised too, especially given that their average high is 26 C.

It amazes me that London at 52 N can have such sustained heatwaves while my city at 44 S has probably never had more than two consecutive days over 30 C.
Yet I get the impression you can suddenly get the high temperatures, whereas we have to build up to them, and they don't normally suddenly dissipate to the extent of Chch/Melbourne. And if you want amazing heatwaves at high latitudes, then the Russian one last year has to be at the top - places at or above 55N having six weeks of 30-40C temperatures on a daily basis, with 10-20+ date records being broken. Moscow last year had a January 7C below normal then a July 7C above.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Rain last night and woke up to a nice coating of snow this morning. Now just cloudy and windy with temperatures in the 30s. Very refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Very, very happy that Sydney's ugliest, longest and yuckiest heatwave in history (7 consecutive days over 30C and 6 nights failing to drop below 24C) finally came to an end Sunday afternoon around 2pm with cold - no sorry - pleasantly mild - southerlies screaming in at 83km/hr, dropping temps from 35C to 21 then eventually 18oC overnight.
We even had a impromptu barbie to celebrate the event with many of our neighbours joining us and so much talk about how nice to have fresh and cold air blowing from the south instead of the hot and yucky air from the north .
Too bad two of my clients from work have taken to hospital suffering from the evil effects of heat - one of them is now on an oxygen-breathing machine and it's live/go at the moment
It was quite funny hearing all air conditioning systems being switched off/seeing all windows and doors being flung open simultaneously. The huge collective gasps of reliefs could be heard for miles.
It's really nice to have all the windows open & curtains open after having the house shut up with the A/C running over 140 hours.
How I do detest heatwaves - spending more money to keep the house cool - whereas it's much less in winter.
I can relate to your joy. I hate having the house closed up for days or weeks during the summer.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
LOL, I was surprised too, especially given that their average high is 26 C.

It amazes me that London at 52 N can have such sustained heatwaves while my city at 44 S has probably never had more than two consecutive days over 30 C.
I think it has a lot to do with the day-to-day variability of the daily maximum here in the sense that our maximums are fairly stable throughout the month. Therefore it is rare to get an extended spell exceeding a certain point (or conversely dropping below a certain point).

Probably a bit like Brisbane consecutively attaining 35C+ days for more than a week or so - and Brisband most certainly has more stability around its maximums than Sydney.

I've noticed that in autumn particularly, it is not uncommon to get extended stretches where the high is stuck around the 22-24C mark. Autumn seems to be the most stable time of the year, whereas spring is the least stable.

I'm keen to back this up later on with some basic metrics - as well as overall variation, a day-on-day absolute max temp shift.

Re: Christchurch - I recall sometime in the late 1990s over the course of a week most of the days exceeded 30C - it made the front page of the Press - perhaps someone can point me to the date range?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:59 AM

371 posts, read 597,023 times
No school today! It's an absense though, since my dad turned around and took me home, not risking a car accident with the hidden packs of ice on the highway. Good chances for snow today!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,425 times
It's snowing earlier than expected. I was skeptical of it snowing at all because of how inaccurate the NWS here is when it comes to snow. I'm glad they were right!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 PM

I just come home anf it asn't even cold at all even at nigjt in Febriary or windy or pissong down with rain pr anything how awrosome is that!!! plus I'm a bit wsted

Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I just come home anf it asn't even cold at all even at nigjt in Febriary or windy or pissong down with rain pr anything how awrosome is that!!! plus I'm a bit wsted
Wow, did I really write that? Actually it is raining now, though still mild.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:35 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
Quote:
Wow, did I really write that? Actually it is raining now, though still mild.

No I think SAB hacked into your account.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM

497 posts, read 1,087,508 times
happy to see a fur seal at my swimming hole down at the river.It must be 10 km or so from the nearest tidal water. I saw it catch 3 trout, all of them big ones.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,348,788 times
Quote:
Seriously, that's the longest heatwave you've ever had?! We don't have the warm nights but London will surely have beaten 7 days over 30C a number of times.
For the city (Observatory Hill) - yes.
Longest-ever consecutive spell (7 days) of 30C+ days on record. Previous record was 5. Also we had our longest spell of hot nights on record (5 above 24C).
On the coast we normally get cooling sea breezes but this was notably absent during the heatwave.
Culprit was a blocking high in the north Tasman Sea which directed hot northerlies over us (good riddance it’s well and truly gone now!)
It was that bad, even at the beach, there were no cool breezes at all; just hot and suffocating air - awful and it were no easy feat stepping outside into the heat either.
Maximums weren't overtly high on most days but the quite high minimums, windless and quite humid conditions made it feel much worse, not to mention the length.
In fact the 41.5C recorded on Saturday (42.2 at the airport – highest since 1980) was the second-hottest February day on record (after 1926's record 42.2C) and we also had our hottest-ever all time minimum with the low being just 27.6C to 9am Sunday, after the 41C day. Just two nights earlier we had our hottest minimum in 38 years with 26.1C.
This is what I’d normally expect from October to December but not February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.