Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times

Advertisements

Yes, I always feel happier on a blue skied, warm, sunny day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM

850 posts, read 310,462 times
Definitely yes! Sunny days are my favorite

Old 02-25-2010, 05:48 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
Yes.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I actually tend to agree. I prefer cloudy days. Sunshine is fine every so often but after about 3 sunny days, I have had enough. I tend to get irritable with more sun and feel much better with clouds. Opposite I know. But I am also a night person and I prefer to be up at night and sleep during the day. My motto is the best sunrise is one not seen.

I live in the far north central U.S. with long and cold winters...much longer than most anywhere in the lower 48. When May comes and the first time it hits 70 and snow is gone and grass is greening up and trees budding most people are re-joicing here with windows open, etc. I go through a week or so period of almost depression like symptoms as I know my favorite season is gone and I have to get used to warm weather. I love fall when the leaves turn color and drop and things brown up, and anxiously awaiting the first snow.

And yes I know I am odd, but very true.

Dan
Ah, that all sounds a lot like me. I think spring is beautiful, but I know summer is right around the corner. Actually, a lot of our spring weather is almost as hot as summer anyway. Once we start getting warm spring weather, I know there won't be much, if any, relief until some time in October. Of course, our winters are far milder than yours, so if I lived in your climate I may very well feel differently. I can't imagine living somewhere that had such cool summers that I would look forward to them.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Sunny days are ok, if it's cold. I prefer the cloudy days because usually that means it's cooler.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:22 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,536 times
Yes, especially after the winter we have had... many cloudy days... and much colder than usual in NW NC.

Impatiently waiting for Spring...

Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Ah, that all sounds a lot like me. I think spring is beautiful, but I know summer is right around the corner. Actually, a lot of our spring weather is almost as hot as summer anyway. Once we start getting warm spring weather, I know there won't be much, if any, relief until some time in October. Of course, our winters are far milder than yours, so if I lived in your climate I may very well feel differently. I can't imagine living somewhere that had such cool summers that I would look forward to them.
I grew up in western Kentucky about 45 minutes north of Clarksville TN...and really disliked the 3 H weather (hazy hot and humid) from June til early Sept.

I got into weather as a kid watching for snowstorms as I knew we would get out of school and I could play outside. I followed that to a career in meteorology and a dream to move north which I was able to fullfill.

Up this far north...our springs and falls are short about a month long between summer and winter. Of course that depends on your definition of summer and winter. Summer here are temps in the 70s and 80s and winter are temps below zero to the teens.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
I got into weather as a kid watching for snowstorms as I knew we would get out of school and I could play outside. I followed that to a career in meteorology and a dream to move north which I was able to fullfill.
In the "real" North, kids don't get days off school for snow; they're too prepared for it!

I had no snowdays the entire time I went to highschool,
and I distinctly recall walking through 15 inches/40 cm of fresh, heavy snow
because although roads are cleared, nobody bothered with the sidewalks.
*A distance of about 2 miles; it took me 55 minutes.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
I actually tend to agree. I prefer cloudy days. Sunshine is fine every so often but after about 3 sunny days, I have had enough. I tend to get irritable with more sun and feel much better with clouds. Opposite I know. But I am also a night person and I prefer to be up at night and sleep during the day. My motto is the best sunrise is one not seen.

I live in the far north central U.S. with long and cold winters...much longer than most anywhere in the lower 48. When May comes and the first time it hits 70 and snow is gone and grass is greening up and trees budding most people are re-joicing here with windows open, etc. I go through a week or so period of almost depression like symptoms as I know my favorite season is gone and I have to get used to warm weather. I love fall when the leaves turn color and drop and things brown up, and anxiously awaiting the first snow.

And yes I know I am odd, but very true.

Dan
If you wanted to move north and summer weather caused you depression why didn't you move to Alaska? In places like Barrow and Prudhoe Bay, they effectively have no summer whatsoever. I suppose one must consider economics as well though and if North Dakota was where you could get a job, then you could settle for that at least.

As for the original topic of this thread, sunshine definitely puts me in a better mood as the winters here can be so gloomy that when the sun finally does come out, it's such a relief.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:32 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Sunny days must put even the TV weather people in good moods.

Today, KSTP TV News ( Minneapolis ) was just gushing over the beautifull, beautifull,beautifull day we were having. One would have thought we had broken a record high.

Yes it was sunny, but still 6 degrees below normal .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather