U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2010, 10:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 14,641,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Same here, though I think 65F is a good mid-late spring high rather than winter or summer. . A high of 65F is way too warm and in summer it's too cool. As you can tell I'm a continental climate kinda guy.
And you can tell that I do not appreciate a "real winter."
I think I could keep an appreciation for a season without summer-like temps though, as long as it wasn't particularly cold.
Ideally, year-round growing season, or as you might put it, an extended spring as a winter-substitute.
4-5 months of spring would be awesome; that's 2-3 times longer than it lasts here.

*Interesting that we both agree that 65 F is awkward in summer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 PM

10,389 posts, read 5,199,252 times
Quote:
Sam

Nice temps! . We're supposed to have a mild cool front coming down here. Knocking the temps down from a high of 90 like today to highs in the 80-84F range with lows in the 60s. More normal April temps with a chance of rain everyday for the next week or so, I'm liking this forecast because that's about the best April weather we'll have
Not sure where you're located, but it looks like Miami will be below average for the next several days. Highs in the mid to upper 70s, lows in the 60s. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Not sure where you're located, but it looks like Miami will be below average for the next several days. Highs in the mid to upper 70s, lows in the 60s. Enjoy it while it lasts!
Indeed I am 25 miles NW of Miami! . But I didnt see any upper 70s I saw mostly low 80s in the forecast in wunderground...

CC, yeah 65F would feel odd in summer....I wouldn't mind it as an overnight low but as a high I would feel like I'm not in a true 4 season climate because it would feel like there was no summer...

With that being said I like 3 months of warm/hot weather and 5-6 months of very cool weather and having very transitional months in mid-Spring and early fall (May/September/October as strong transitional months).

Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Hmmm wunderground does say low 80s.

Since you're a little farther inland, is it slightly warmer than Miami on a typical day?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
CC, yeah 65F would feel odd in summer....I wouldn't mind it as an overnight low but as a high I would feel like I'm not in a true 4 season climate because it would feel like there was no summer...

With that being said I like 3 months of warm/hot weather and 5-6 months of very cool weather and having very transitional months in mid-Spring and early fall (May/September/October as strong transitional months).
We actually get 63-65 F at least once during the middle of summer most years.
(I was sorta ranting about our summers, not contemplating "theoretical temps"... summer days in the 60's F are very real here, though mid 60's F and lower is rare-ish)

We probably get that 5-6 very-cool transition you want,
but I wonder if anywhere has the summer stability your after to accompany it.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Hmmm wunderground does say low 80s.

Since you're a little farther inland, is it slightly warmer than Miami on a typical day?
Usually in spring/summer yes we are a few degrees warmer than Miami...but in winter we are a few degrees colder than Miami. I've actually seen it about 9-10 degrees colder here than Miami on most mornings here during winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
We actually get 63-65 F at least once during the middle of summer most years.
(I was sorta ranting about our summers, not contemplating "theoretical temps"... summer days in the 60's F are very real here, though mid 60's F and lower is rare-ish)

We probably get that 5-6 very-cool transition you want,
but I wonder if anywhere has the summer stability your after to accompany it.
I actually wouldn't mind an occasional blast of cooler air during mid-summer to produce some relief from the constant heat and to make summer "less boring" .

I think the climate I like would probably be like Winnipeg but I'd like more snow than Winnipeg since Winnipeg averages what? Like, 40-45 inches of snow a year?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:

I saw snow flurries too this afternoon, (temps in the high 30's F and overcast?)
but the ground is far too warm for them to even make contact with it.
Rochester is probably similar to us.
Wow, according to tonight's forecast, we may see a period of light snow overnight!

Of course it won't accumulate, but it would be pretty interesting to see flakes flying on the same week we experienced record high temperatures in the 80s! Not only that, but April 10th is pretty late for snow!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I actually wouldn't mind an occasional blast of cooler air during mid-summer to produce some relief from the constant heat and to make summer "less boring" .
You don't understand.
Summer days in the 60's F do not provide "a blast to relieve summer heat",
but "a blast to relieve mid-high 70's F generally warm conditions" (why would one want relief from that?)
Except for the people who find 75-78 F tiring, it is not described as "relief"

Constant heat? Summer has no constant heat.
Summer = 72-84 F; ranges from "gentle warmth" to "enough to feel summerlike"
Only heat we have has a heatwave, which is hardly "constant"

After a mid-summer "heatwave,"
our highs are almost always in the 70's F, if not low 80's F
so they do not jolt us, but it's a return to regular lukewarmness.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:26 AM

5,060 posts, read 2,766,902 times
Quote:
You don't understand.
but "a blast to relieve mid-high 70's F generally warm conditions" (why would one want relief from that?)

SOunds like a carbon copy of Melbourne. You can have a day of 45C here, but only 20C the next day.

Take February 7, 2009. 47C was the high, with lovely sunshine. THe next day, barely 22C with full overcast and drizzle

Cold days of around 20C are a certain guarantee of summer here, whether its after the typical short 2-3 days of either normal 30-35C days or very rare 40-45C days. If you're really unlucky, you'll have it languishing around around 18-23C for a number of weeks as has happened in January 2009.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You don't understand.

I thought he was referring a break from the heat down south. 75 would probably feel very nice after being in the 90s for several weeks.

Farther up north, where you are, I can understand how you wouldn't need a break from the heat, since you don't have much to begin with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather