Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 03:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,713,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Precisely, hence the point regarding the difference between continental (changeable) climates and the homogenity of Britain's maritime climate.
Do you enjoy the homogenity of the UK (but wish for different average temps)
or would you prefer a more exciting, changeable summer? (or changeable summers promote severe t-storms; keeps summer from being boring)

Our average afternoon dewpoint in July is about 16 C/61 F, in case anyone's interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,010,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Do you enjoy the homogenity of the UK (but wish for different average temps)
or would you prefer a more exciting, changeable summer? (or changeable summers promote severe t-storms; keeps summer from being boring)

Our average afternoon dewpoint in July is about 16 C/61 F, in case anyone's interested.
My ideal would be a semi-continental subtropical climate, with fairly hot and humid summer temps with little variation in temperature but plenty of storms (a bit like Dallas, Texas), but some element of "four-seasons", with a cooler period, but not cold winter.

I wouldn't like a very "bipolar" continental climate of massive temperature shifts like South Dakota for example, but would find a tropical climate's lack of seasonal change too boring.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:18 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,158,625 times
Quote:
My ideal would be a semi-continental subtropical climate, with fairly hot and humid summer temps with little variation in temperature but plenty of storms (a bit like Dallas, Texas), but some element of "four-seasons", with a cooler period, but not cold winter.
I actually recall your "dream climate" of being similar to Dallas, TX's climate. Hot summers, cool winters.

Quote:
I wouldn't like a very "bipolar" continental climate of massive temperature shifts like South Dakota for example, but would find a tropical climate's lack of seasonal change too boring.
Interestingly enough, at least in my observations, even the south (Texas, Mississippi, Georgia, etc.) can experience "bipolar" shifts in temperatures and conditions. Not so much during the summer, but more so in the winter and maybe early spring. I think Dallas is prone to these sort of changes. For example, on March 20th, the high was 62 (at midnight), but it was snowing that same day. The next day it didn't get out of the upper 40s, but two days later it was 75. So despite the long hot summers in the Big D, there is enough weather "variety" to mix it up throughout the year.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:

How about Columbia, SC?
aka: the armpit (heat-wise) of South Carolina

Try comparing Dallas, TX, USA and Columbia, SC:
Climatology Comparison for Columbia, SC - weather.com, SC&sfld2=Dallas, TX, US&clocid1=USSC0065&clocid2=USTX0327

Old 04-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Wow, I didn't realize how hot Columbia's averages were during the summer. I know the city is very far inland, but still!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Wow, I didn't realize how hot Columbia's averages were during the summer. I know the city is very far inland, but still!
I believe Columbia is located where the land is bowl-shaped
which probably collects, amplifies and traps sun energy, as well as probably causing calmer wind conditions.
plus they have some heat-island effect too.

It's been tempting to plan a trip there,
as it has the hottest summer climate closest to Toronto.

The calmer windspeeds of Columbia vs. Dallas might make Columbia more enjoyable for heat-enthusiasts like Richard W.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,929,873 times
Yes the inland south can have some bipolar conditions as well , take last year for example. On Feb 28th in Atlanta they had a high of 69 and then on March 1st they got 3-4 inches of snow with temps in the low 30s.

I remember living in North GA that March/April were extremely unpredictable. Like in March 2008 on March 7th we had temps in the low 70s with strong sunshine....than the following day it was in the 30s with flurries all day. And it can get down to 20 degrees as late as early April as well....so yeah the inland south can get a big variety in weather as well. Lots of characteristics of a plains climate, I think, in the southeastern U.S...

Old 04-09-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Yes the inland south can have some bipolar conditions as well , take last year for example. On Feb 28th in Atlanta they had a high of 69 and then on March 1st they got 3-4 inches of snow with temps in the low 30s.

I remember living in North GA that March/April were extremely unpredictable. Like in March 2008 on March 7th we had temps in the low 70s with strong sunshine....than the following day it was in the 30s with flurries all day. And it can get down to 20 degrees as late as early April as well....so yeah the inland south can get a big variety in weather as well. Lots of characteristics of a plains climate, I think, in the southeastern U.S...
Isn't it "less bi-polar" beyond the Fall Line; where the coastal plain meets the piedmont? (Atlanta vs. Montgomery, Columbus, Macon, Augusta...)

I would have thought that Columbia was a little more stable than Dallas for extreme temps.

They probably get less snow though, and guaranteed, Columbia would shutdown in snow.
Dallas, I hear "everyone" feels compelled to drive in the snow, probably from too many Yankee transplants who've moved there during oil-booms.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post

It seems as though a good chunk of the country (anything east of the Rockies) is susceptible to "wild" changes in weather over a short period of time. Heck, even Florida isn't completely immune to it (at least during the winter).

I recall there being severe thunderstorms in early March, blizzards in the middle of April, heatwaves in April, etc. It could be 95 or 35 on any given day! Okay that may be a slight exaggeration, but it is true. March and April are nearly impossible to predict.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Didn't Columbia receive 8 inches of snow in one storm this year?

I know South Carolina (along with the rest of the south) experienced quite a chilly winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather