Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,162,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think 70 F lows are awesome.
There's not a single day in the year in Toronto that can't be too cold for me.
(yet nearly none of them can even come close to being "too hot")

It's one thing that I love about places like the Carolinas in summer;
all but guarantee I'll see zero lows below 60 F and zero highs below 80 F.
Even in the Carolinas, you'll probably be lucky enough to see lows not drop below 70. Whenever I'm in Myrtle Beach, the temperature didn't ever get below 70.

Although I guess you'll be more likely to see average lows drop into the mid to upper 60s in North Carolina. Not so much in South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 12:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,232,015 times
Quote:
I think 70 F lows are awesome.
There's not a single day in the year in Toronto that can't be too cold for me.
(yet nearly none of them can even come close to being "too hot")

It's one thing that I love about places like the Carolinas in summer;
all but guarantee I'll see zero lows below 60 F and zero highs below 80 F.
Would you be comfortable sleeping without A/C in a place that regular has 70+ F lows?

Old 04-10-2010, 05:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,616,375 times
A heatwave here in Vancouver is typically anything above 80F (27C) for several days in a row with the record high at the airport close to the water only 93F (34C) which was reached in the summer of 2009. The inland suburbs can get hotter than that with Abbotsford recording 100F (37.8C) a while back....
When it gets warm here, the dewpoints tend to be quite low and it's rare that air conditioning is required here.
I think it would drive me bonkers to live in a place like the Southeastern US where you can get 69F one day and 30F the next. That climate is definitely too bipolar for my liking. I need consistent climate preferably one with consitently high temperatures year round

Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,718,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Would you be comfortable sleeping without A/C in a place that regular has 70+ F lows?
That would depend on the conditions of where I'm sleeping.

I have no problems sleeping at 82 F inside, when the dewpoint is 75 F, window open, faint air-circulation... even if I have to sleep on top of my covers. Add a ceiling fan over the bed, and I can sleep under the covers in conditions like that.

In a poorly designed house with the sun beating down on it all day,
keeping the indoors into the mid-80's+ F all night long with your 70+ F lows... that will likely affect my sleeping.

But I like the idea of sleeping outdoors like on a porch in the hottest weather, like they did 100 years ago,
so nighttime heat indexes just under 100 F would probably be adequate for a good night's sleep, sleeping outdoors.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think it would drive me bonkers to live in a place like the Southeastern US where you can get 69F one day and 30F the next. That climate is definitely too bipolar for my liking. I need consistent climate preferably one with consitently high temperatures year round
I believe that would be quite the shock too;
-69 F in t-shirt and shorts one day
-30 F the next wearing all your winter clothes

Toronto can have just about as much range in temps,
but even when we're warm, "it's not really warm" anyways
So we might have a scenario like this:
-49 F one day, you take off your coat midday
-10 F for the next day; put on your coat, some layers, and other "winter accessories"

Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I believe that would be quite the shock too;
-69 F in t-shirt and shorts one day
-30 F the next wearing all your winter clothes

Toronto can have just about as much range in temps,
but even when we're warm, "it's not really warm" anyways
So we might have a scenario like this:
-49 F one day, you take off your coat midday
-10 F for the next day; put on your coat, some layers, and other "winter accessories"

Yeah true enough... most of Eastern North America can have those types of temperature fluctuations in winter. I guess that is one major downside to the climate at least from my point of view. It's only until you get to about Central Florida and south, that the temperatures start to even out year round in my opinion with less dramatic swings in temperature.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah true enough... most of Eastern North America can have those types of temperature fluctuations in winter. I guess that is one major downside to the climate at least from my point of view. It's only until you get to about Central Florida and south, that the temperatures start to even out year round in my opinion with less dramatic swings in temperature.
I think the main difference about Ontario and the southeastern USA is by the time we start to see 69+ F (20+ C) highs,
it's so late in the year usually that the chances for cold weather becomes scarce, if not impossible.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,322,894 times
Quote:
I think it would drive me bonkers to live in a place like the Southeastern US where you can get 69F one day and 30F the next.

Keep in mind…irregular, nonperiodic weather changes (that would send the temp from 69 to 30 F (40 F)…are almost exclusively confined to the cold season (Nov –March) in the Gulf and South Atlantic States.

From late April to early November…when the westerlies are far to the north…and the Azores/Bermuda High is in control on the weather…sharp temperature changes are quite infrequent in the southeastern USA. Because the sun largely controls the weather, diurnal regularity of temperature prevails: Hot and sunny days in which the temp may rise to 75 to 90 F…and nights were temps fall into the 60 to 70 F range… are repeated day after day with little exception. Unlike high latitude locations like the Pacific Northwest, Northern Great Lakes, and New England…jets, fronts, storm tracks…etc. are too far north of the subtropical southern USA to cause a drastic temperature changes. Only cloud cover or rain effects the temperatures in the American subtropics in the warm/hot season…and then only a modest amount.

Only from around November to late March…is there really drastic temperature changes in the Gulf/South Atlantic states. In mid winter…a mild pattern might see highs near 70 F in New Orleans or Charleston for several days…then a front will come through and knock the highs down to 45 F for a few days before the recover. However, the more southward once gets in the USA...the less impact fronts/weather systems have as a rule. Also, while there are often frequent weather/temp changes in the central and eastern USA in winter...a place like New Orleans or Charleston will see far less drastic temp and weather changes... then would places like Denver, Chicago, or Boston.

Retires from the northern USA have moved to places in the Gulf/South Atlantic coastal regions just to get more steady winter weather with less sharp cold snaps. Places like Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, and Tybee Island grew so much becasue of northern folks moving southward to escape winter.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 04-11-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Keep in mind…irregular, nonperiodic weather changes (that would send the temp from 69 to 30 F (40 F)…are almost exclusively confined to the cold season (Nov –March) in the Gulf and South Atlantic States.

From late April to early November…when the westerlies are far to the north…and the Azores/Bermuda High is in control on the weather…sharp temperature changes are quite infrequent in the southeastern USA. Because the sun largely controls the weather, diurnal regularity of temperature prevails: Hot and sunny days in which the temp may rise to 75 to 90 F…and nights were temps fall into the 60 to 70 F range… are repeated day after day with little exception. Unlike high latitude locations like the Pacific Northwest, Northern Great Lakes, and New England…jets, fronts, storm tracks…etc. are too far north of the subtropical southern USA to cause a drastic temperature changes. Only cloud cover or rain effects the temperatures in the American subtropics in the warm/hot season…and then only a modest amount.

Only from around November to late March…is there really drastic temperature changes in the Gulf/South Atlantic states. In mid winter…a mild pattern might see highs near 70 F in New Orleans or Charleston for several days…then a front will come through and knock the highs down to 45 F for a few days before the recover. However, the more southward once gets in the USA...the less impact fronts/weather systems have as a rule. Also, while there are often frequent weather/temp changes in the central and eastern USA in winter...a place like New Orleans or Charleston will see far less drastic temp and weather changes... then would places like Denver, Chicago, or Boston.

Retires from the northern USA have moved to places in the Gulf/South Atlantic coastal regions just to get more steady winter weather with less sharp cold snaps. Places like Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, and Tybee Island grew so much becasue of northern folks moving southward to escape winter.

That is true that the late spring to early autumn months in the Southeast US have little temperature variation. I think the record low for many places in this region in the summer are in the mid 60s F which is really high. I think coastal locations would probably also feel less temp variation even in winter than inland locations which makes sense.
I guess I was thinking that in winter it would be irritating to walk out in shorts and t-shirt one day and the next to put on a heavy sweater or even a winter coat with gloves. As it's nice to have more or less one set of clothes for each season or better yet, one set of clothes for the whole year

Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
That is true that the late spring to early autumn months in the Southeast US have little temperature variation. I think the record low for many places in this region in the summer are in the mid 60s F which is really high. I think coastal locations would probably also feel less temp variation even in winter than inland locations which makes sense.
I guess I was thinking that in winter it would be irritating to walk out in shorts and t-shirt one day and the next to put on a heavy sweater or even a winter coat with gloves. As it's nice to have more or less one set of clothes for each season or better yet, one set of clothes for the whole year
I was in Raleigh NC in August once when they had a daily record low.
Average for that time of year was 88/68 F (31/20 C)
They dropped to 57 F (14 C) which they were still at 57 F at 8 am, 1.5 hrs after sunrise
But...
- by 10:00 am it was already 79 F (26 C)
- by 11:00am it was already about 87 F (31 C)
- by noon it was 92 F (33 C)
- and by 1:30-2pm it hit 97 F (36 C) with "crackling-dry" RH (felt somewhere < 20%)

The winds were light and the air was dry; no front caused this rapid warm up.
I suppose the only reason for the record low was exceptionally clear skies and a dry airmass.
I love that; "...even when it's cold, it's still probably going to be warm/hot..."

When Toronto gets a daily record low in summer,
it is still because of a nasty front bringing down "almost biting" northern winds,
just like any other time of year. ()

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-12-2010 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather