U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 AM

14,934 posts, read 8,945,813 times

Advertisements

I'm enjoying the overnight frosts, but very annoyed by the lack of thundery showers, we always miss them here.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 AM

7,032 posts, read 4,041,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Why don't you come on down to Georgia and enjoy yourself a proper spring? Highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's - perfect "open window" weather...hehe. I keep saying if the weather stayed like it is right now all summer long, it'd be total paradise. To bad we have to deal with the 90's in the summer, that's when you might see me posting in this thread...lol.

WF2 - I see that you're in the UK - I'd love nothing more than to spend a June, July and August in your location - your average highs are in the 70's then, I suppose? That'd be the perfect summer for me.
Yes, let's swap places what a good idea!

Most of England sees average highs in the 70's in summer but where I live at the moment its even worse, about 65F. Not even good spring weather, and always cloudy! Georgia and most of the SE USA certainly has my ideal climate and I wouldn't even be bothered by the 90 in summer, especially given there are lots of storms to keep me entertained.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Just an idea of how crap this Apruary has been so far:

- Avg high only 8C / 46F
- Only 1 day reached 10C / 50F
- Avg 3 hrs sunshine per day
- 4-8 inches of snow in a blizzard
- Nearly reached the April average rain
- 6 nights with air frost

Given the forecast there'll be more days with air frost than January, and has already been more snow by far. This weather is typical mid-winter, but on the other hand, we've had a lot of mild or very warm April's recently, such as 2007 and 2011, both the warmest on record at the time. So this must be Nature's way of redressing the balance with a statistically overdue winter April. Well I hope the pattern shifts in time for June, July, August to give us a well overdue ABOVE average temperature/sunshine summer, and with some STORMS this year please.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 AM

4,592 posts, read 3,710,775 times
How cold has it actually been up north recently then? The average here with half the month gone is 8.2C, colder than March was but only 0.8C below normal for April. It's felt very normal for April to me the past few days - sunny mornings then sunny spells/showers or thundery showers in the afternoons (with the weather seeming to change every ten minutes!) and chilly, clear nights. Sun totals so far around average, rain totals actually slightly below.

^^ Edit - the NW/SE split strikes again I see!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
How cold has it actually been up north recently then? The average here with half the month gone is 8.2C, colder than March was but only 0.8C below normal for April. It's felt very normal for April to me the past few days - sunny mornings then sunny spells/showers or thundery showers in the afternoons (with the weather seeming to change every ten minutes!) and chilly, clear nights. Sun totals so far around average, rain totals actually slightly below.

^^ Edit - the NW/SE split strikes again I see!
The mean temperature here is an astonishingly crap 4.8C up to today, and likely to drop this week with the air frosts. The coldest it's reached is -2.3C with an avg low of 1.5C.

NW England missed out on anything thundery as usual, just boring 2 second piddly sized hail showers are all we got, but we of course we've managed to get our share of tedious frontal rainfall.

Second half of April looks a write off, and the cold pattern could continue well into May, but hopefully will disappear in time for summer.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM

14,934 posts, read 8,945,813 times
Mean minimum so far here is 2.4, mean maximum is 9.6C, 4 air frosts so far here, December had 5.

To be fair though we are (or should I say were) well overdue a cold and wet April. You could also say we are overdue a 'decent' summer too, so it's probably better to get the unsettled weather now then June - August.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:48 PM

7,265 posts, read 3,630,990 times
Unhappy that I'm working at "Wasp Central" this morning. The place is surrounded by bush,and I got stung on every day last week.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,444,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
The mean temperature here is an astonishingly crap 4.8C up to today, and likely to drop this week with the air frosts. The coldest it's reached is -2.3C with an avg low of 1.5C.

NW England missed out on anything thundery as usual, just boring 2 second piddly sized hail showers are all we got, but we of course we've managed to get our share of tedious frontal rainfall.

Second half of April looks a write off, and the cold pattern could continue well into May, but hopefully will disappear in time for summer.
Wow, that's amazingly cold for April, and you're still getting sub-freezing temps too - are the trees even leafing out yet up there yet? Down here, due to the abnormally warm winter and spring, our trees have just about reached full leaf-out, about 3 weeks ahead of schedule. For all practical purposes, it looks like mid-summer around here.

What I don't like about our climate is its propensity for drought and endless sunny spells - I'm talking days on end of clear skies, that gets old pretty quick in my book. Hopefully we'll get our usual quota of thunderstorms this summer, due to get some on Tues in fact, so keeping my fingers crossed on that.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Wow, that's amazingly cold for April, and you're still getting sub-freezing temps too - are the trees even leafing out yet up there yet? Down here, due to the abnormally warm winter and spring, our trees have just about reached full leaf-out, about 3 weeks ahead of schedule. For all practical purposes, it looks like mid-summer around here.
Oh yes, due to the fact we don't get proper cold winters (this April has had more frosts than December or January had) and we had a very mild late Feb/March, leaves were coming out on the trees in March, and are already at a much more advanced stage than places like New England (Cambium in Connecticut showed pics of completely bare trees there still). England has a weird climate. We can be very mild or even warm in March and now an April as cold as January.

When we had our blizzard the other week it was silly to look outside and see inches of snow while the leaves were out on the trees.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM

20 posts, read 7,204 times
Lost my password to my other acc... grr

Also, in the past 160 days, the city I live in has only recorded 6.6mm of rain (1/4 inch). It's been 74 days in a row without any rain. It may seem very dry to some but we only average 59.1mm during that period. Our yearly average is 450mm and winter sees most of the rainfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather