Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

I live in such a delusional society that when temp goes down to 10 CELSIUS in the MIDDLE OF THE WINTER, all the news start panicking and the news everywhere say "POLAR WAVE". I mean, they use the word "POLAR". Because temp its freaking 10 celsius at 6 pm (already nightime here), instead of freaking 20 celsius that seemed to be the norm last week. So, when 20c happen in the middle of the winter for a lot of days is completely normal, but when temp goes down to 10 celsius (freaking 50f) we turned into siberia???

I mean, when did Buenos Aires became tropical and nobody told me? Really, how can people think that this perfectly normal and comfortable temperature can be POLAR?? SERIOUSLY??

I dont know if i should be mad at the people and newspeople, or at the climate that is getting warmer every year and screwing with everyones common sense. But, COME ON!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM

I mean, polar means "from the pole" right? do this people have ANY IDEA what the temp in the poles is???? I mean, freacking 10 celsius, I HAVE MY WINDOWS OPEN AND IM NOT COLD AT ALL, its not cold by any means. But. All. Over. The. News. They. Use. The. Word. POLAR.

POLAR

POLAR

DO YOU UNDERSTAND??

temp is 10 celsius.

50 FREAKING FARENHEIT.

well, actually 9.5 celsius now.

AND THEY USE THE WORD POLAR

Ignorants.

(and the "feels like" is 10.4c COME ON)

Old 07-03-2012, 04:28 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Polar? I could understand using the word polar to describe 10C in the Outer Amazon, since polar air is what causes that, but actual polar air causes temperatures a lot colder than 10C in Buenos Aires. And besides, if if wintertime polar air is modified so much that it produces temperatures that warm it doesn't even deserve to be called polar air anymore.

Judging from the averages I wouldn't think 10C would be all that unusual in B.A. this time of year .

Old 07-03-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Polar? I could understand using the word polar to describe 10C in the Outer Amazon, since polar air is what causes that, but actual polar air causes temperatures a lot colder than 10C in Buenos Aires. And besides, if if wintertime polar air is modified so much that it produces temperatures that warm it doesn't even deserve to be called polar air anymore.

Judging from the averages I wouldn't think 10C would be all that unusual in B.A. this time of year .
They arent unusual, though since we apparently live in a TROPICAL CITY NEAR THE EQUATOR, 10c means "polar wave". Just imagine that we supposedly had 2 polar waves in June and average high was 62f.
A 10c day is (or should be) perfectly normal in Buenos Aires winter, so the fact that the news make such a fuzz about it calling it "polar" makes me seriously doubt the mental capacities of the news people. Come on!

Call it "polar" when we have temps reaching 0c, like we did in the beggining of June, but 10c, 10c???????????

And, actually, the temp was 12c, sunny, i was out, no wind, super lovely and calm day and you couldnt feel cold even if you tried. And now, at nightime, temp is 10c. I wouldnt call this polar by any means, not even by BA standards. So, either the news people have became crazy, or this warm June screwed everyones perception. This wasnt a cold day by any means. I also heard people complaining in the street/busses/work. Everyone is insane. Today really wasnt a cold day at all, we had MUCH colder days than this in the beggining of June and even in April.

I think is one of those cases of context. Since last week temps were INSANELY HIGH, and turned to be very warm in the weekend, reaching around 25 celsius on sunday, comparativly, 10c seem "polar". This is the only explanation i have for this nonsense, but news people should know better. Seriously. It might be colder than last week, but call it "cool" not a "polar wave". OMG.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:53 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Oh here we go, latest GFS update, latest sodding MF'ing storm potential downgrade AGAIN. COULD NOT MAKE IT UP. YOU REALLY COULDN'T. Sod all to happen again as normal. Meanwhile the crummy below average cold and rainy overcast crud is set to last every day into infinity and beyond, what a lousy F-ing hole of a climate and weather this crag-basket has.

Friday was looking great for storms at one point, now, like a frothy dollop of spit lying on the pavement as far as attractive sights go. WHAT BALLS. AND like I said earlier that damn lifted index has gone positive, and showing a stormilicious pants-creamingly exciting 100J/KG CAPE, WHOA frickin hide under the table for the football-sized hail STONES. GEEZ, I'D BE A GOOD WEATHER FORECASTER WOULDN'T I? My weekly forecast:

"Ignore all signs of storm potential there may be, and any chance of above average temperatures or the possibility of sunshine. Expect non-stop cloud and drizzle with the odd puff of wind to blow it all into your face". Forecast accuracy: 106%. GIMME A MEDAL.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 07-03-2012 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 PM

The tosseurs on UKWeatherwank haven't even bothered to do a Convective Outlook for the 4th, cuz it's a bloody PHIZZZAAAA before it started. About as much chance of hearing thunder tomorrow as the moon falling to earth and me catching it in a teacup.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM

Being a weather "enthusiast" is the most infuriatingly frustrating thing to be in England. It certainly is. 99.8% of the time you live in a sordid hope of something interesting happening. I keep trying to wean myself off the model outputs and weather forecasts, to get back that element of surprise, saying "I'm going to go 1 month without looking at them" and so far I've managed to go two days at the most. Well and truly addicted. This is hopeless. This interest in weather has taken me to new depths of despair and emotional breakdown in the last two years living here. :cr ying::cry ing:

Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 PM

photo hosting

Old 07-03-2012, 05:40 PM

This post had a picture but the damn link didn't work so no picture. Retarded techmolojee

Old 07-03-2012, 06:05 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Being a weather "enthusiast" is the most infuriatingly frustrating thing to be in England. It certainly is. 99.8% of the time you live in a sordid hope of something interesting happening. I keep trying to wean myself off the model outputs and weather forecasts, to get back that element of surprise, saying "I'm going to go 1 month without looking at them" and so far I've managed to go two days at the most. Well and truly addicted. This is hopeless. This interest in weather has taken me to new depths of despair and emotional breakdown in the last two years living here. :cr ying::cry ing:
Dude, you've GOT to apply for immigration into the great United States, pronto. We have lots of exciting weather here, and you've got the breadth of a whole continent to satisfy your weather cravings.

In all seriousness, I do feel for you, being trapped on an island and not having your pick of climates, not to mention that your island is located in a climate that's changing for the worse (by your standards).

Let's hope you're able to at least make it over for an extended holiday one of these days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather