Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,748 times

Advertisements

My car's OK but my foot isn't. Got cut by a piece of broken glass, got a messy and painful cut.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
My vehicle is 24 years old. I do any work on it, so that saves money. It's as cheap as chips to run.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Mine's 17 years old too and 275,000 km (170k miles). If you aren't a diy-type, better sell it before it becomes a money pit! Mechanics, at least here, are here to rip you off.

What was the mileage? Here they say you've got to change them every 60-70k miles.
Change a car after 70k? You shouldn't have to change any car before at least 100k miles. German cars especially, are known to go over 300k regularly when they are serviced regularly. Some oil company did over 1 million miles in a BMW which is pretty amazing.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My vehicle is 24 years old. I do any work on it, so that saves money. It's as cheap as chips to run.
Geez. What car do you drive? I have a Kia Rio, don't know if you have those there, I know in Europe they do, and obviously South Korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Timing belt and apparently there's an issue with the transmission. Crapped out all at once. Fortunately I wasn't the one driving it when it broke down - lol. The car is fifteen years old. Not sure if I'll buy another junker or maybe I'll splurge on a new car (not brand new, slightly used). Need to get something reliable since I have to drive all over the place here in the boondocks.
Ouch. I hope the engine is repairable. What make is it? I have a Kia Rio and I forgot to change ym timing belt, and a few months ago the engine went on it during rush hour on the way to Baltimore (not good!), got towed back home and found out I needed to replace my engine because the inside was damaged beyond repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Change a car after 70k? You shouldn't have to change any car before at least 100k miles. German cars especially, are known to go over 300k regularly when they are serviced regularly. Some oil company did over 1 million miles in a BMW which is pretty amazing.
I don't know the quality of cars in Europe, but here it's common for people to drive cars up to 125k miles or so and then get a new car. The ones here that change cars every 75k or so miles are the people that get a new car by the time they pay off their auto loan

Old 05-29-2013, 07:04 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ouch. I hope the engine is repairable. What make is it? I have a Kia Rio and I forgot to change ym timing belt, and a few months ago the engine went on it during rush hour on the way to Baltimore (not good!), got towed back home and found out I needed to replace my engine because the inside was damaged beyond repair.
1998 Mercury Mystique, aka "grandma car" haha. Looks like a piece of junk because the paint is chipping and the previous owner accidentally backed into it with another car so there's a huge dent. Apparently these cars have transmission issues post-100K miles, but I'm only at 85K. It's one thing for the timing belt to go, but for the transmission at the same time. That's really bad luck. Other than that, I haven't really had any issues with the car. Got me from point A to point B and had working A/C, which was really important to me.

I gave my brother my 1998 chevy cavalier (after replacing the trans, water pump, and radiator) and he's still doing a 45 minute commute to work in it. Has over 150K miles. Both of us will be purchasing new cars within the near future though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed
I don't know the quality of cars in Europe, but here it's common for people to drive cars up to 125k miles or so and then get a new car. The ones here that change cars every 75k or so miles are the people that get a new car by the time they pay off their auto loan
People still do that? I thought the average car on the road was like 12 years old now. Maybe some higher income folks update their cars more frequently. I notice that in the wealthy parts of NJ, but not so much where I live.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,748 times
Windows 7 is a load of crap. Unlike on Windows XP when you try to "End process" with the task manager to shut down a crashed program it doesn't cut the process immediately or at all like on Windows XP. So there is no way to get rid of the crashed program and I end up having to restart the computer.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
If the timing belt is broken, it probably have caused damage to the engine. And if it's a 17 yo car with a damaged transmission... Just tow it to the dump. It will probably cost way too much to repair.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
[quote=theunbrainwashed;29774092]Geez. What car do you drive? I have a Kia Rio, don't know if you have those there, I know in Europe they do, and obviously South Korea.]

A Toyota Landcruiser. I would rather spend a smaller amount on maintaining an older vehicle, than buy a new one and lose more on yearly deprecation. Plus I like the model and don't have to worry about dents etc (a common work place hazard, for me). NZ has quite an old vehicle fleet. Our Sabaru has about 250 k (km) on the clock and is still going strong. A Honda Civic we had ( the runabout ), finally bowed out at 330k kms. A regular oil change, does wonders.

There are Kia Rios here.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Lol, I should have been more explicit sorry. I was talking about the belt, not the car. My car's engine is still running like clockwork at 170k miles, if it wasn't for these huge maintenance costs I would keep it. But it would also be nice to have a car with cruise control, AC, radio (!) and remote control opening (current one has none of it).

Old 05-29-2013, 02:46 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
It's actually awesome that your car has none of those things! It makes it unique I suppose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather