U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-18-2011, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
4,542 posts, read 3,604,901 times
Reputation: 2385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Quite the opposite actually. I'm usually in a better mood on a cloudy day. Unless it's uncomfortably warm and humid, I enjoy being out and about on cloudy days. I also like the "coziness" of home on cloudy/rainy/snowy days. Of course my life doesn't revolve around whether it's sunny or cloudy, but I'm often in an elevated mood on those days.
I don't mind overcast, windy, wet and dark days in early winter at all until we get to five or six in a row with no sun or until we get to February and I'm bored with it all, because winter in my mind is meant to be dull and grey, though I've loved the 80-90% sunshine we've had today. The worst days for me in terms of depressing weather would be the 15C, sunless and wet days in midsummer you get a lot of up north, but thankfully there aren't anywhere near as many down in London. On days like that in July you just feel cheated.

 
Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Surrey, London commuter belt
584 posts, read 505,032 times
Reputation: 250
London's coldest July day in the past 30 years was on 27th July 2005, when the high only reached 16C.
 
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
4,079 posts, read 3,001,428 times
Reputation: 1718
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
So sorry to criticise your beloved “ugly” sunny and dry conditions.
Not everyone shares the same preferences as you.
It’s funny considering you’re not a big fan of wet and cloudy weather yet Wellington doesn’t exactly provide the opposite.
Wellington was the wettest out of all NZ main centres last year – over 1500mm of rain to be exact – lucky you and around 2000 (give or take) hours of sun too which makes you even more luckier, not to mention the highest number of NIL days of sun.
That kind of amounts would suit me just fine.
OK, will try again.

(1) I know W'gton doesn't provide all I want weather wise.
(2) As a realist, I don't complain about it, though if the place went into several years of sunshine decline (unlikely) I would consider moving.
(3) 2010 was the cloudiest year since 1992 - in fact the 2nd cloudiest since 1983 -more noticeable because of the large overall surplus in the intervening years.
(4) Despite 2010 being the 4th even-numbered year in a row with a rainfall surplus, the 30-year average has dropped from 1249mm to 1219mm (loss of the very wet period 1974-1980)
(5) Don't care about nil sun days for a given sunshine total - it also means more days at the other end of the spectrum. Even at 80% of possible I'd be happy with a couple of nil days in a month to up the blue dome count.

Last edited by RWood; 01-18-2011 at 12:48 PM..
 
Old 01-18-2011, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
4,542 posts, read 3,604,901 times
Reputation: 2385
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1987 View Post
London's coldest July day in the past 30 years was on 27th July 2005, when the high only reached 16C.
Shows the microclimate between north London and Heathrow then. As well as the extra 100+ sun hours a year they somehow get there it's nearly always cooler here at 120m asl. That day only got to 14.5C. There have only been a handful of 15s in July in the past 30 years here, though two real shockers I've found were 12.0C on 27/6/97 and 12.9C on 9/7/80. July 1980 had a mere 9 days above 70F, which must have been pretty miserable.
 
Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
27,979 posts, read 14,205,995 times
Reputation: 8847
While I agree long stretches of cloud can be drab, I won't want every day to be sunny. Some mostly cloudy or bright overcast days can have an interesting character to them. I like cloudy days where a bit of sun peaks through and you can see the shapes of clouds. Especially if the vegetation is green. Here's some examples of cloudy skies I like:

(all in southern Vermont)
Attached Thumbnails
Un Happy Thread-dsc_0093crop.jpg   Un Happy Thread-dsc_0085crop.jpg   Un Happy Thread-dsc_0132crop.jpg   Un Happy Thread-dsc_0116crop.jpg  
 
Old 01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
10,644 posts, read 5,839,768 times
Reputation: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I don't mind overcast, windy, wet and dark days in early winter at all until we get to five or six in a row with no sun or until we get to February and I'm bored with it all, because winter in my mind is meant to be dull and grey, though I've loved the 80-90% sunshine we've had today. The worst days for me in terms of depressing weather would be the 15C, sunless and wet days in midsummer you get a lot of up north, but thankfully there aren't anywhere near as many down in London. On days like that in July you just feel cheated.
Overcast, windy, wet, dark days...I feel oddly elated reading that. Strange, I know. I especially love the darkness and eeriness that comes right before thunderstorms or heavy rain.

I appreciate those cool, wet, sunless days during the summer even more since the summers here are generally warm and sunny. I can understand that would annoy you considering summers are pretty marginal in parts of the UK. 15 C days where I live are very rare during the summer, but are more likely to occur in Upstate New York or parts of Northern New England. Lowest high temperatures we might see during the summer are around 65 F, but only a couple times at most. After weeks of sunshine and highs in the 80s and 90s, those sort of conditions are welcomed and refreshing.

Last year on June 9th we had a high of 15 C and a low of 6 C.
 
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,434,529 times
Reputation: 3247
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
While I agree long stretches of cloud can be drab, I won't want every day to be sunny. Some mostly cloudy or bright overcast days can have an interesting character to them. I like cloudy days where a bit of sun peaks through and you can see the shapes of clouds. Especially if the vegetation is green. Here's some examples of cloudy skies I like:

(all in southern Vermont)
The first pic would count as a sunny day in Toronto.

The second and third one "look cold"
 
Old 01-18-2011, 04:35 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
10,644 posts, read 5,839,768 times
Reputation: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
While I agree long stretches of cloud can be drab, I won't want every day to be sunny. Some mostly cloudy or bright overcast days can have an interesting character to them. I like cloudy days where a bit of sun peaks through and you can see the shapes of clouds. Especially if the vegetation is green. Here's some examples of cloudy skies I like:

(all in southern Vermont)
Nice photos. My favorite is the third one.
 
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,434,529 times
Reputation: 3247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Nice photos. My favorite is the third one.
The third one reminds me of having shivering fits, maybe some hurting goosebumps.

My fave is #1. #4 would also be decent.
 
Old 01-18-2011, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
4,542 posts, read 3,604,901 times
Reputation: 2385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Overcast, windy, wet, dark days...I feel oddly elated reading that. Strange, I know. I especially love the darkness and eeriness that comes right before thunderstorms or heavy rain.

I appreciate those cool, wet, sunless days during the summer even more since the summers here are generally warm and sunny. I can understand that would annoy you considering summers are pretty marginal in parts of the UK. 15 C days where I live are very rare during the summer, but are more likely to occur in Upstate New York or parts of Northern New England. Lowest high temperatures we might see during the summer are around 65 F, but only a couple times at most. After weeks of sunshine and highs in the 80s and 90s, those sort of conditions are welcomed and refreshing.

Last year on June 9th we had a high of 15 C and a low of 6 C.
What would you reckon to the weather in the awful November 2009 at only 700ft in the Welsh mountain valleys (12 miles from where I was living then) with 29 wet days, humidity never below 82%, 25 inches of rain and strong winds virtually every day?
Clima en CAPEL CURIG durante Noviembre de 2009 - datos climáticos históricos Tu Tiempo

Shame the data's a bit hard to follow and it doesn't give rain hours and sun hours - my estimate would be 150-200 rain hours and 50 sun hours. Incredibly bad even for there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top