Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
And I could ask you the same in reverse.
Because warm, sunny weather is almost universally regarded as desirable?

I suspect there's a "grass is greener on the other side" mechanism at work here -- people naturally tend to think of themselves as hard done by and assume that others are better off, even when this is not the case by any objective standard. I've often wondered if I would find myself longing for Christchurch's cool, cloudy weather after a few months or years in Perth or Brisbane. Only time will tell.

Besides, it's not as though I want to live in Yuma or Dallol -- I'd be most happy in Los Angeles, Perth, Brisbane, etc. Room temperature weather for most of the year is what I would aim for.

As for you wanting to live in Invercargill... have you ever been there? It's a sickening place.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Victorian View Post
too hot here, just endured a 44C/111F day, no point to this heat I don't mind a little warm, but when the AC can't keep the house under the high 20's at full blast you've got a problem...

next few days are more pleasant with nights of around 25C/77F and days about 33C/90F with shower/storms likely.
Why would you want the house less than 27-28 C (80-82 F)? That's my favourite temp indoors.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Why would you want the house less than 27-28 C (80-82 F)? That's my favourite temp indoors.
From one CC to another CC: Ugh!!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
From one CC to another CC: Ugh!!
One CC to another? Made me grin.

Funny,
I hate coolness sometimes and I'm Canadian.
You seem to hate warmth and your a Texan.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
As for you wanting to live in Invercargill... have you ever been there? It's a sickening place.
Climatically? Or is the town itself sickening? I can imagine with all the farming that some of the air in the area may not be very pleasant.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Climatically? Or is the town itself sickening? I can imagine with all the farming that some of the air in the area may not be very pleasant.
I just looked Invercargill up on Wikipedia. I knew the Inver- prefix was Scottish, but I didn't realise the place was about as similar to Scotland in almost every way as it was possible to get despite being about as far away as it's possible to get. The weather would be too Scottish for me though - I didn't know anywhere in NZ was quite as chilly as that with only as much sunshine as southern England. Funny how it's noted for its long summer twilight for being at 46 latitude because it won't be as long as half or most of Europe experiences.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I just looked Invercargill up on Wikipedia. I knew the Inver- prefix was Scottish, but I didn't realise the place was about as similar to Scotland in almost every way as it was possible to get despite being about as far away as it's possible to get. The weather would be too Scottish for me though - I didn't know anywhere in NZ was quite as chilly as that with only as much sunshine as southern England. Funny how it's noted for its long summer twilight for being at 46 latitude because it won't be as long as half or most of Europe experiences.
It's coastal location might mean you can see sunrise and/or sundown unobstructed over the horizon, so that tends to make the day feel longer too.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Unhappy because my cheeks were still too cold,
wearing a very-warm hat and having a wool scarf wrapped around my face for a 10 minute walk.
Caused by -10 C/15 F, light flurries and a breeze; pretty common in Canada.

Basically 1-in-4 days are so cold I can't possibly dress warm enough for comfort for a 10 minute walk, midday.

I can't remember the last time it went above freezing.
We have patches of thick ice buildup on roads and sidewalks that won't go away...

Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Unhappy because my cheeks were still too cold,
wearing a very-warm hat and having a wool scarf wrapped around my face for a 10 minute walk.
Caused by -10 C/15 F, light flurries and a breeze; pretty common in Canada.

Basically 1-in-4 days are so cold I can't possibly dress warm enough for comfort for a 10 minute walk, midday.

I can't remember the last time it went above freezing.
We have patches of thick ice buildup on roads and sidewalks that won't go away...
Same here (although it has been above freezing here and there). This has been one of the most sustained winters in years, with only two very short blips. Last winter was somewhat severe, but had a few big rainstorms. This winter has just been snow, ice, and cold week after week.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,096 times
Quote:
It's coastal location might mean you can see sunrise and/or sundown unobstructed over the horizon, so that tends to make the day feel longer too.
Very much the case. Invercargill is a "big sky" town. The {relatively}long summer twilight can make for some great evenings at the beach, with half the town seeming to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Fresh air isn't a problem in Invercargill, with the next gale never been too far away. Water quality is becoming an issue with the dairy boom. I wouldn't call the climate there sickening, but I can remember feeling as though spring had become autumn/fall without summer in between ,on some years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather